Author Topic: lemon/lime rind  (Read 7661 times)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Re: lemon/lime rind
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 08:51:51 pm »
Hi JD, on that link looks like a good online store if the stated RRP are not inflated against their prices - do you shop there?
The microplane slicer looks good too.

Kylie I use a potato peeler, dry slices on teatowl then blitz with the sugar for required time, scrape down and do it again. So extra time than what the book says. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 09:24:19 pm »
I don't shop there Viv but it has been mentioned before with positive comments.  You just need to check out comparable prices at your local homeware store to see if the on-line prices are better.  I usually just tell DD2 what I want and she gets these type of things for me for birthday, Mothers' Day etc.

Just thought of another use for it - I freeze my ginger whole these days and it is so easy to just grate with the microplane if it is only the flavour of the ginger you want and not batons or slices (most of the time for me). It is brilliant for this and it ensures you always have ginger on hand.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 11:18:22 pm »
I just want one in purple! LOL!  :-))

There is one Ceejay  ;)

out of stock in Amazon at moment, but you can check ebay.

Naturally I found one suited to my kitchen  :P

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 06:07:59 am »
You guys are great! Thanks for all the tips.

I've tried peeling them with a potato peeler then drying them.... but I didn't know how long to dry them for so I left them for a day (or maybe more) and they all shrivelled up. I tried blitzing them then and they stayed in their shrivelled up state! Fail....

It looks like the microplane might be the way to go. I don't like using the zester side on a regular grater because - as said previously - it's hard on the knuckles, and I seem to end up with barely any zest as it's all stuck in the grater and is so hard to get out!

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 12:35:03 am »
I received my microplane zester yesterday - laughingly as it was one little zester in a massive box full of packaging!
It's great. Very fine, very easy to clean - exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!