Author Topic: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy  (Read 124797 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Re: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »
This dish is one of our favourites. I use yellow fleshed potatoes such as Nicola or Dutch cream (and button mushrooms) so the mash is always a lovely buttery yellow colour. Also, the sauce is based on my vege stock concentrate thickened with wholemeal flour which seems to give the sauce a good colour (although not as dark or rich as pan fried of course). I also skin the sausages (always organic ones) before putting them in the varoma.

I must admit that the first time I cooked this I was surprised at how great the steamed sausages are!

This dish is a fabulous all in one, and better than pan fried or grilled sausages with a lot less mess to clean up. Thank you Chelsea for sharing this recipe.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:19 am »
Thanks for the review.  It is always lovely to hear of people enjoying your recipes.  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:39 am »
I'm just wondering if there is any reason why this dish couldn't be cooked at a slower speed and then the mushrooms wouldn't mix though the cubed potatoes?  Am I right in thinking that the potatoes are steamed so wouldn't need the liquid swishing through them?? I'm needing advice with my own recipe.  ;D ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2011, 10:58:13 am »
That is so funny ;D

I found the recipe to be perfect, just need to use less butter in the gravy, it is on my spreadsheet marked budget family fav TM.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:43 am »
The mushies don't worry me as I never mash the potatoes (just leave them cubed), but I wondered if that would help the people that like normal mash.  :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »
I'm just wondering if there is any reason why this dish couldn't be cooked at a slower speed and then the mushrooms wouldn't mix though the cubed potatoes?  Am I right in thinking that the potatoes are steamed so wouldn't need the liquid swishing through them?? I'm needing advice with my own recipe.  ;D ;D
I thought about cooking is on a lower speed next time to keep the mash cleaner but have to admit, I loved the taste of the mash with the "bits" through it.  ;) ;).
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2011, 05:13:21 am »
I tried it last night at a lower speed but there didn't seem to be as much steam coming through and I ended up turning it back up.   :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2011, 01:32:24 am »
Good one Chelsea  :-* nice and easy!

Although the sausages weren't too handsome  :P I was assured it tasted great by empty plates  :)
I also do prefer sausages steamed.

I didn't add mushrooms to the gravy (kids wouldn't touch it then), so for the gravy  I just used the onion/garlic/no added salt/salt reduced beef stock.....and for the thickening part I used Knorr rich brown gravy granules.  Tasted wonderful!  I will thicken it slightly next time with perhaps some cornflour, or and extra Tbsp. of knorr gravy.

Added lemon pepper to the zucchini & carrots, and the whole lot was cooked perfectly for the time written.

Thanks Chelsea  :)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2011, 07:59:37 am »
I keep a bottle of Thermomixer's onion jam on hand at all times. I generally add this to the gravy at the end. It always turns out nice and very flavoursome. The only thing I do differently is I get my DH to BBQ the onions first - brings out the sweetness of the onions.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »
I made this tonight (minus the mushrooms as I didn't have any) and it was a big hit.  I made it with home grown onions, potatoes and aubergine which was exciting, as I didn't really get to grow much last year.  I have to say that it was a mistake to have it with aubergine as it all looked rather 'brown'.  A bit of vivid green and/or orange would have been welcome.  Still, it was all delicious and a hit with the family.

It's gone onto my favourites list.  Thanks for sharing Chelsea!  :-*
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2011, 09:43:08 am »
Thanks Caroline.  I agree it is exciting to use home grown produce. We only really have cabbage and leaks on the go here at the moment which is a bit limiting, but still fun.  :)

Offline thermoman

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 08:52:19 am »
Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy

Serves 4 adults

Ingredients:
1 small onion - peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic - peeled
2-3 swiss brown mushrooms halved
50g butter
6-8 organic lean-beef sausages - each pricked with a fork several times
500-750g potatoes peeled and cubed (2-3 cm cube)
assorted sliced vegetables (carrots, beans, broccoli florets etc)
600g good quality beef stock
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
2 tbsp cornflour

Preparation:

Place the onion, garlic, mushrooms and butter into the TMX bowl and cook for 3 minutes at 100 degrees, speed 4.

Place sausages in lightly greased varoma dish (ensure they are not covering all of the vents). I normally place 4 along the bottom and four on top of these facing the other direction.

Place vegies in varoma tray (once again check the vents).

Place the chopped potatoes into the rice basket.

Add stock, salt and pepper to the TMX bowl (I am generous with the pepper).

Place the rice basket into the TMX bowl and cook for 10 minutes at varoma temperature on speed 4.

Fit the varoma dish and tray onto the lid. Cook for 20 minutes at varoma temperature on speed 4.

Remove the varoma and rice basket (the sausages and vegies are ready to serve). Carefully remove the TMX lid (fat pools on the lid) and skim any fat from the top of the gravy mix inside the TMX bowl. There isn't generally too much fat if you use lean sausages.

If there is a build up of mushroom in the steamer basket scrape them into the TMX bowl. Add the cornflour and cook for 2 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 4 to thicken the gravy.

Notes:

If your sausages pop out of their skins, just pull the skins completely off before serving.

Variations:

Try filling the steamer basket with tiny scrubbed new potatoes.  They steam really well and taste lovely with the sauce.

To make mash you need to remove the gravy and rinse the TMX bowl (don't fuss too much about it though). Check that the potatoes are cooked until almost falling apart. If they are not cooked enough add them into your bowl with some milk and cook a little longer. If they are fully cooked add your butterfly, potatoes, some milk and a dob of butter. Mix on speed 3 until they reach your desired consistency.

Steam homemade meatballs or small rissoles for an easy variation. Jamie Oliver makes quick meatballs by squeezing out blobs of meat from quality spiced sausages. He says life is too short to roll them into neat little balls and he likes them looking "rustic". I really love Jamie!

Photos:

View photos on my blog here.

I am still a traditionalist and cook the snags on the BBQ (it's a guy thing) but the rest of it I liked, quick 'n' easy

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2011, 09:03:55 am »
thermoman, you don't have to quote the whole text only a part of it by deleting all the unnecessary stuff that you don't wish to quote, or even just reply without a quote as we will mostly know what you mean
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:18 am »
I'm glad you liked it thermoman.  I love snags on the BBQ too.  :)

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 05:15:56 am »
OMG so delicious!  Just love this recipe, thank you so much for posting it.  Apart from forgetting to prick the sausages and adding a bit of gravox to thicken the gravy this was so simple I felt silly raving on about how yummy it was.  The best bangers and mash I have ever had.  And the veggies were cooked perfectly, the timing was spot on. Yay for another easy dinner option!