Author Topic: Shea Butter Lotion  (Read 13345 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Shea Butter Lotion
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:10:48 pm »
I got this recipe from https://crafts.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-make-a-simple-shea-butter-lotion--craft-8049

I was originally trying to find a natural eczema cream for DD2, but have gone on to make this into my go to body lotion, a replacement for Aqueas cream for DD2's bathtime  (I've probably spelled that wrongly), and making a thinner version which goes into a pump dispenser (previously liquid soap dispenser) to use after washing hands.

I also use it as an intensive face moisturiser once or twice a week, with great results.

It can be made substantially thinner by simply using more water and glycerine.  I make it richer for DD2 by making it as is, or by sticking to the richer, slower to absorb oils.  I make it lighter and more quickly absorbed for my daily use by including hemp oil, apricot oil and grapeseed oil to replace some of the coconut (or sometimes just in addition to). 

It has proven to be very versatile and forgiving, allowing me to mess about with it successfully.  Next time I'm going to boil some marigold flowers for a while, and then use the water from that as the 'filtered water', as marigold is very healing for sensitive skin.

Anyway, here goes with the original version:

(makes 200g)

Water Phase

130g distilled water.
5g vegetable glycerin.

Oil Phase

10g shea butter (any kind).
20g fractionated coconut oil.
10g sweet almond oil.
10g emulsifying wax.
Cool Down Phase

1g preservative (I’m using Vitamin E oil, and I just squeeze a splosh in).
10 drops lavender essential oil or other skin-safe fragrance (optional.  I don't add any in DD2's jar, only in mine.  So I stir it through at the end after I've poured 1 jar off).

Directions:

To start you want a very clean Thermomix so that there is no contamination. She washes hery Thermomix bowl with 100ml of vinegar and 500ml of water and heat on Varoma, 5mins, Sp 4.  If I've just taken it out of the Dishwasher then I don't bother.  If it's been sat there, or used for something else, then I do.

Place the filtered water and glycerin in the TM bowl.  Heat to 70'/2 minutes/Sp 3

Pour into empty jug until needed.

Add oil phase ingredients to TM bowl making sure the wax pellets aren't sitting on the blades (or they won't melt). Heat to 70 for 2 minutes, Sp 3.

Insert butterfly and place lid on top with MC inverted.  Start your Thermomix at 5mins/70'/Sp 4. 

Slowly pour the water phase onto the top of the lid.  When you are adding the water, add it slowly to start with and then you can speed it up, just like a mayonnaise.  You want it all to mix for another couple of minutes after you have incorporated all of the water.

When it is finished it is very runny, nothing like a cream.  Don't fear!  Pour it into your sterilised containers and let it set with the lid off. 

Make sure you wash your bowl, lid, MC and butterfly in hot soapy water immediately. When I make moisturiser I actually pop these all (minus the blades) in the dishwasher (after running my finger round and using the 'scrapings' to rub into my arms, hands and legs - waste not want not :) )

It is best to keep your cream away from sunlight and only use clean hands to dip into it.

It's a bit like whipped cream when it sets, and it's lovely.

These are the original lady's comments:

You can add some essential oils into the oil phase if you like but I don't.  I add mine after.

I often make a batch, or a double batch, pour and let it set. Then I doctor up each little jar to suit the end purpose or recipient. 

For example, I make several small jars for my children simply to use as a carrier for their essential oil blends.  I have one for sleeping, one for mosquito bites, one for studying etc.  They each have a little first aid kit in their bedrooms.

Then I make up a cream for my husband, it is scented with more masculine oils. 

Into my own I love to add some of the more nourishing oils like rosehip and camellia with some essential oils like lavender, orange and rosemary.

TMX notes came from http://mymelbournethermo.com.au/2013/10/handmade-moisturiser-in-thermomix/

It's slightly greasy, but amazingly moisturising.

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shea Butter Lotion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:36:54 pm »
Thanks Caroline for the recipe.Lovely to see you posting again.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:09:08 am »
Hi Caroline. That cream could be very handy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:28:49 pm »
Thanks Caroline for the recipe.Lovely to see you posting again.

Thanks 😀
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:18:14 pm »
Caroline,
Where do you buy your ingredients?
Looks interesting, thanks for posting.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 04:16:37 am »
Caroline is in the UK Denise.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:23 am »
Thanks Judy
Denise

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 06:35:14 pm »
Caroline,
Where do you buy your ingredients?
Looks interesting, thanks for posting.
Try Aussie Soap Supplies - I haven't got their URL in front of me just now, but google them.  If I remember correctly there may be a minimum $ buy, though, which is annoying.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.