Author Topic: Sweet Potato Burritos  (Read 3641 times)

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
Sweet Potato Burritos
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
Name of Recipe:  Sweet Potato Burritos
Number of People: Makes 8 burritos
Source: Adapted from a recipe in a Coles catalogue (warning:  not a fully 'from scratch' meal)
Ingredients:
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp rice bran oil (or similar)
450g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 x 400g can of kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup water
A burrito meal kit (containing 8 burritos, mexican spices pack, salsa pack)
125g grated cheese

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C and line a tray with greaseproof paper.

Peel and chop sweet potato into small chunks.  Boil potatoes in water on the stove.  While they're cooking:

Place onion and garlic in the TMX bowl and chop on speed 5 or 6 for about 5 seconds
Add oil and saute at 100 deg, speed 1 for about 3.5 minutes
Add drained kidney beans and blitz for 10 seconds on speed 6 or until crushed
Stir seasoning mix into 1/2 cup of water and add that to the bowl.  Cook at 100 degrees for 1 minute, speed 3 so it's combined.

When the potatoes are ready:
Add cooked pieces of sweet potato into the bowl and blitz on speed 6 for about 10-20 seconds, until blended and mixed through. 
Spread mixture onto burritos.  Top with grated cheese, fold up and place on tray (with the folded bits facing down) and cook at 175 degrees for 12 minutes.  Serve with salsa from the kit.

Tips/Hints:
Make the mixture as smooth or chunky as you like.  Alter the blending times for the beans and the potatoes to suit the texture you prefer.  Start conservatively and keep blending until you're happy with it.

I make up enough for one family meal, and if there are leftovers I make them up and freeze them, ready to be thawed and cooked on a 'no cook night'. 

I keep a burrito kit and a tin of kidney beans in the pantry, and as we usually have sweet potato on hand too, I can make this whenever we like.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:32:48 am by bellesy »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Sweet Potato Burritos
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:35:05 am »
Good work - sound great. Think we could also post in the Vegetarian list  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.