Author Topic: Cornflour?  (Read 18185 times)

Offline debs

• View Profile
Cornflour?
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:59:02 am »
OK.  I feel a bit silly asking this but to make some cornflour would I grind up polenta or popping corn or just get in the car and go to the shops to buy some?

Sorry if the answer is obviously posted somewhere - my search skills may need some work...

Thanks for any help!

Deb

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Cornflour?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:13:37 am »
i've only ever bought cornflour as it is. its usually with the flours, but I make sure you get it made with corn and not wheat. no doubt there is a way to make it with the TM. Look in either the EDC or the Fast & Easy book  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:36:46 am »
I have done exactly that with polenta. It will grind down to flour and will be a bit yellow but works well.

I doubt the popping corn would work but give it a go and see

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:52 am »
Think it is best to buy that one as the consistency is so much better with the bought stuff.

Certainly popping corn doesn't work - I tried  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  - & it's not the right type of corn.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline debs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:06:29 am »
lol Tmer.   Glad I didn't need to try the popping corn.

The recipe isn't in the EDC or any others I have. My mum just  :-)) when I asked her opinion.  Maybe I should just go to the shops.  lol  Thanks for your help!

Deb

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:32 am »
I am out of corn flour, did anyone make some?
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:56:21 am »
Cornflour/Cornstarch (1tbsp. as a thickener)

Use 2 level tbsp. plain flour.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:39:20 am »
Thanks CP,  i ended up texting a mum from school and she brought some to school for me.LOL

So plain flour works as well?

Had been to the shops twice and didnt fancy  facing GC  again.

H :)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
Dont really think its so easy to make it at home as its made from fermented corns and then later dried as far is know.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:03 am »
Thanks bluesed, cornflour on my shopping list

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:58:28 pm »
Bluesed is correct.

It is actually made from an extremely starchy corn that is mostly grown for animal feed - as young or "green" corn it is virtually non-edible as it has a much lower sugar content than "sweet" corn or "dent" corn (used to make cornmeal and grits) and the skin and much of the interior of the kernels is indigestible by humans.   
It is the corn that is noted in "corn-fed" beef as the multiple stomachs in cattle allows full use of the nutrients in that type of corn.

It's called corn starch in the US and it is truly starchy.  It has to go through several processes to get it that way but it has the advantage of being gluten-free and when made with non GMO corn, is an excellent product. 

You can grind your own corn and I do, using heirloom dried corn but while it has thickening properties, you have to use about double the amount than you would use with commercial corn starch and it won't be as translucent. 

For thickening in many foods I use arrowroot.  It is totally free of gluten and the sauces are clear and there is never the "floury" taste one gets with using wheat flour for thickening.  It also does not break down in dishes that need to be frozen. 
It also has the advantage of lasting practically forever.  It does not break down over time, unless exposed to moisture, and once you begin using it, and learn that a little goes a long way, you will find it is superior to other thickeners.

Here's more information about arrowroot.

And here.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »
Thanks for that information Andie.  I think I may well be converted to arrowroot
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
Thanks Andie, I have a tub of Arrowroot in the pantry - bought it specifically for a recipe and it has been sitting there untouched ever since.  Would you say half the amount of arrowroot would do the job compared to corn flour (mine is wheaten corn flour).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »
I think I  will buy arrowroot instead of corn flour

Thank you Andisenji our walking encyclopedia :D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »
Thanks Andie, I have a tub of Arrowroot in the pantry - bought it specifically for a recipe and it has been sitting there untouched ever since.  Would you say half the amount of arrowroot would do the job compared to corn flour (mine is wheaten corn flour).

Read the bits in the links I posted.  If substituting for wheat flour I use less than half (usually a third, if it's for a sauce) and it has to be dissolved in cold water if you are adding it to a hot liquid. 

Here is the Wikipedia entry.  Lots of info there.

If subbing for  corn starch or corn flour, (made only from corn)  I use 1/2 to 2/3 the amount, again, depending on what it is going into.
Use less for gravies or sauces, more for something that is to be more solid, such as pie or puddings, etc.

Arrowroot biscuits or cookies have been a staple for teething babies (or anyone) for more than 150 years.  A recipe appeared in Godey's Lady's Book in 1856 and there are numerous variations.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/