Author Topic: Steamed rice in the varoma  (Read 7472 times)

Offline Cookie-la-la

• View Profile
Steamed rice in the varoma
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:15 am »
Is it possible to steam rice in the varoma basket while you are cooking a main meal in the  *:?  I want to make a chicken curry and serve it with steamed rice but don't want to waste time making rice first and keeping it in the thermo server. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Steamed rice in the varoma
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »
If no one else can suggest a method of steaming in the varoma, you could always make the rice in the microwave whilst you are cooking the curry in the TMX, or else plain old boiled in a pot on the stove.  I've got to admit, though, steaming rice in the varoma whilst you are cooking something else in the jug would be a handy recipe to have on hand.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 01:41:27 am »
Have you got the Taste of Asia book? I am looking on p84 & p85, and they are steaming rice cakes. They are put into small silicone cups and there is water in the TM and they are steamed 20 mins, Varoma, Speed 3-4. Haven't really read through the recipe in great detail to work out what was done prior, but I daresay it can be done as long as the meal underneath was at Varoma temp. Worth a try one time when you are cooking at Varoma in the TM as rice is very cheap to experiment with.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cookie-la-la

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
Thanks CP63.  I only have the EDC book, haven't had my varoma demo, don't really know anybody to invite to a demo as those that came to my first demo weren't interested in  *:, . 

You're right about being able to afford to play around with rice.  I ended up cooking the rice, in  *: while chopping the chicken and vegies and then kept it warm in the thermoserver while the curry cooked. 

Cuilidh, I love  *: rice and won't cook it any other way now, the kids love it and prefer it that way, too.

One day, perhaps, I will perfect the art of cooking rice in the Varoma and can post it.