Author Topic: Can you make popcorn in the TM31?  (Read 13140 times)

Offline cakegirl

• View Profile
Can you make popcorn in the TM31?
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:12 am »
I'm assuming that if you can, it would have to be on reverse and speed soft?  Has anyone tried?  Do you use oil or butter?  And what temp and for how long???

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Can you make popcorn in the TM31?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 01:42:56 am »
No, the base does not get hot enough.

See also Dani's post

and from Wikipedia :

How popcorn pops

Each kernel of popcorn contains a certain amount of moisture and oil. Unlike most other grains, the outer hull of the popcorn kernel is both strong and impervious to moisture, and the starch inside consists almost entirely of a hard, dense type.

As the oil and the water are heated past the boiling point, they turn the moisture in the kernel into a superheated pressurized steam, contained within the moisture-proof hull. Under these conditions, the starch inside the kernel gelatinizes, softening and becoming pliable. The pressure continues to increase until the breaking point of the hull is reached: a pressure of about 135 psi (930 kPa) and a temperature of 180°C. The hull ruptures rapidly, causing a sudden drop in pressure inside the kernel and a corresponding rapid expansion of the steam, which expands the starch and proteins of the endosperm into airy foam. As the foam rapidly cools, the starch and protein polymers set into the familiar crispy puff.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:49:09 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cakegirl

• View Profile
Re: Can you make popcorn in the TM31?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:11:14 am »
Oh well, I guess that can be the one thing I continue using my stovetop for!

Thanks!!!