Author Topic: Vanilla Slice with NO cream  (Read 91109 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Slice with NO cream
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »
Same here, the square contaIners and ditto I got to eat the hangover bits yum.
Denise

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »
I always thought those containers were square till I made this.  Ahhh well. You've just gotta line the top and bottom up so the extra is in the same spot.

Off to bed now...... nite

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2013, 01:14:32 am »
Oh, no, I should not have looked.  This is my all time favourite slice (a.k.a custard square around these parts)

And I happen to have pastry sheets in the freezer...
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 02:16:43 am »
Too late Jo ...... you know you want to ......

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 09:53:10 am »
Well it was a BIG winner today,so much so that My DS wants me to make another to take to his birthday bbq on Sunday. His new favourite he says.
Denise

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »
Great Bedlam, it's pretty easy to make too.

My DH has been taking this for his nightshift snacks this week. We have dinner early when he's on night shift so he needs a snack later on ..... not much left now though, it keeps disappearing out of the fridge !

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:02 am »
I forgot the saos so will stick with the tried and true recipe.

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2013, 04:12:56 am »
Still in progress waiting to ice. My motor slowed considerably at the 8 minute mark so definitely setting firm.

Verdict yummm.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
Looks Yumm too!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:34 pm »
Oh my goodness.  Just made this and it's cooling now.  The nibbles I've had a yummy, and it's just amazing that I can now make my favourite café slice at home. 
Mum's coming down for a visit tomorrow, so I thought this would be a lovely morning tea for us.  Of course I will have to test it for quality control purposes before then  ;)

Mine definitely slowed down a lot too - I had to actually up the speed for a little bit as the top was just not moving. 

So simple to make...although I am sure I'm going to make a hash of at least one piece getting it out of the container (I used a sistema one too). 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2013, 02:06:24 am »
Ohhh Jo, why did you have to mention vanilla slice ........ 

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:06 am »
Got sidetracked by this, want to make it but have to wait for kitchen, unless can find biscuits to use instead!

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2013, 04:06:56 am »
Have just made this and popped in fridge. My container was slightly smaller than the puff pastry sheet, so I trimmed pastry to fit, but I think this may end up meaning the slice is too thick? I wonder if I'd be better using three sheets of puff and a rectangular container? (1& 1/2 sheets of pastry on top and bottom). Anyone else have thoughts on that? I also lined the tin with glad wrap hoping to make removal easier - is that necessary?

I've also used just 180g sugar and the custard tasted sweet enough, but I'd probably increase vanilla next time too.  My only concern is probably how welli t is going to set.  I ordered a "natural" custard powder only to discover it wasn't the orgran I was expecting, it was some odd egg-free type!! Fingers crossed!!

So, the big question is, now that it is in the fridge, how long do I wait before it will be set? ;) and what is the best knife to use to cut it?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2013, 04:28:25 am »
It will need a few hours and preferably overnight if you can wait that long LLL, I think I used a serrated knife to cut mine.  If you don't have the correct sized tin, I can't see why you can't cover the base of what you use with pastry by cutting another sheet to fit or cutting 1 sheet to fit a smaller tray. Try to cut the slice for serving along that join line though.  When you're pouring out the custard just stop when you think the thickness is just right for a custard slice if using a smaller tin.  It's probably easier to cut the slice neater if you lift it out of the tin and onto a bread board so using glad wrap or baking paper in the base is fine. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2013, 09:33:13 am »
Thanks Judy for all the advice/ help :)
Unfortunately it didn't set as firm as I would expect - held together while I cut it, but too sloppy to be held in the hand and eaten.  I expect it was my odd custard powder so will not hesitate to try again with a normal custard powder.  Flavour was delicious!! Thanks again :)