Author Topic: Vanilla Slice with NO cream  (Read 91115 times)

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Slice with NO cream
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:00 am »
Very excited that everyone seems to like this recipe!

I recently made some for a school fund raiser, sold each slice for $3 a piece, and people were coming back for more.

I am about to make with lattice biscuits as I have run out of pastry. I think they will probably be sweet enough without icing. Will see how they go.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 02:45:33 am »
Great to hear from you funnyfarm - I love this slice! I am dying to make it again but I'm too scared because I know I'll just eat it!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:28 am »
I know what you mean! I try to only make it when I am going somewhere, that way I can't eat the whole lot!

A friend of mine has frozen it and says that it freezes well. I must try it one day as it would be great to be able to wrap and freeze in portions.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:33 am »
Awesome if it can freeze, DH loves it for work lunch boxes. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who freezes it - or I'll try it next time I make some.  ;D
:D

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 02:59:59 am »
Am going to make these for lunches, am going to use Sao biscuits as that is how I always made them.  I like Sao biscuit better than pastry.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 04:48:01 am »
Yum no calories...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 05:15:39 am »
funnyfarm, they are amazing! The custard is the perfect consistency and the Sao biscuits fitted perfectly in the square Tupperware container as well.  A 5/5 recipe, thank you for sharing  ;D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:19 am »
Good to know about the Sao's knittercook, as the lattice biscuits were a bit disappointing. They didn't really stick to the custard like the pastry does, and were not a great fit for my tupperware container. I will definitely give the Sao's a go if I don't have pastry on hand next time.

Offline Juanita

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 05:29:00 am »
Thank you very much for the recipe.

I only put 200 g sugar in - quite sweet enough!

But I found the custard too thick for my taste - it immediately set to a jelly-like almost rubbery consistency - I will try it again with less cornflour - perhaps 100g thickener altogether - 50g custard powder and 50g cornflour with the 2 eggs should be enough for the almost 1 litre of milk, I think. ;)

I'll be back...

Offline funnyfarm2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:06 am »
Juanita did you add the butter at the end? The butter is really important as it seems to stop the custard from having that horrible rubbery texture. I learned that when I forgot to add it one time.

*suzanne*

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 05:27:49 am »
I made this today to take to my mums and it looks and tastes divine, thank you so much  :)

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »
Made these yesterday, a major hit  ;D, I went passed the bakery's and they were charging $4.50 for one, knew I had seen this recipe somewhere and was wrapped I didn't need to buy ingredients as I had everything. The best part was they tasted and looked just liked the bought ones, so yummy  :D

Offline disaster chef

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:47 pm »
Made these yesterday with Lattice biscuits instead of pastry and they were a huge hit.  Thank you for posting the recipe.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »
I succumbed, and made this last night  :).
Left overnight to chill, so looking forward to tasting and cutting up later.
It's so easy...don't know why I haven't made it before....Hubby a very happy man, and for the record, we both knew them as snot blocks  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:14 am »
Hubby a very happy man, and for the record, we both knew them as snot blocks  :P
;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.