Author Topic: Rara's Cherry Bites  (Read 58400 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rara's Cherry Bites
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:08 am »
Wise women.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 08:40:39 am »
I loved the idea of this recipe, but really don't like glase cherries.  I was in my local wholefood store and - bingo - they had a packet of dried tart cherries.  I thought I would try them out.  I blitzed some almonds into paste with a little raw sugar, then added the dried cherries and some shreaded coconut and blitzed this on spd 7-8 until I liked the look of them.  I added a tablespoon of boiling water and stirred them until them came together.  I then rolled them into balls (refridge) then melted some chocolate and coated them.  They were really yummy and the kids were rapt - didn't make a big batch though about 20.  Anyway thanks for the idea - certainly a great treat.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
WOW... Is all I can say. Impressed the whole family and a neighbour that popped in! I thought I'd finally make these today. I made half dark and half milk chocolate. Dark was more authentic. Think I'll have to make more tomorrow as I still have half a tin of condensed milk left. The batch made disappeared very quickly. Just have to get some more cherries in the morning.
Thanks Rara, they are just brilliant!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 11:24:16 am »
Ok Ok there is only so much I can take. 2 weeks on Jenny Craig now and have lost over a kilo but I have to make these. Will try to give them away at work so I don't eat too many.

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 12:29:02 pm »
WOW... Is all I can say. Impressed the whole family and a neighbour that popped in! I thought I'd finally make these today. I made half dark and half milk chocolate. Dark was more authentic. Think I'll have to make more tomorrow as I still have half a tin of condensed milk left. The batch made disappeared very quickly. Just have to get some more cherries in the morning.
Thanks Rara, they are just brilliant!

Glad you liked them.
I prefer dark chocolate but both kids prefer milk (I still eat them though  ;))

Ok Ok there is only so much I can take. 2 weeks on Jenny Craig now and have lost over a kilo but I have to make these. Will try to give them away at work so I don't eat too many

Well done with the weight loss.
My advise is to hand out most of them before you taste one.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
How would you suggest going about dipping these balls?  Do you stick a skewer in them or something like that to dip them?  I can imagine getting REALLY messy fingers doing this  ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:59 am »
Karen I used one of those small dessert forks, held it up to let the excess drip back into the bowl then used another fork to push it off onto a tray. I then just added a few more drops of chocolate to fill in any holes in the top.  Not messy at all for me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 12:48:03 am »
Thanks Judy for that super-fast reply!  I made the cherry balls this morning and they are cooling in the fridge right now.  I was planning on dipping them this afternoon ....... what a good method your way is!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 01:07:15 am »
I do it exactly as Judy does it, easiest way I've found so far!  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 06:37:07 am »
I cheated and bought a chocolate dipper thing a ma jig from the kitchen store. I'm sure it was less than $10.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 04:51:39 am »
Thanks Rara for this divine sweet bite - DD and I did the dessert and sweet bar for a wedding last night. DD used a choc fondue to keep choc melted and used a choc dipper swirler (I think this is what cookie referred to) - pic below.  The cherry bites looked like rose buds - used both milk and dark chocolate and they were put in a large brandy balloon at the sweets bar - of course did we remember to take pics!!!!!!!! that would be a NO. Each ball was taken out of the choc using the scoop, allow to drip for a sec or two and placed onto a papered tray, the ball gripped the paper and with a slight tap the scoop let go leaving the rosebud type look in the chocolate. I will have to make another lot so you can all see this is not simply the ravings of a crazy woman!!!!!!!! :D  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:19:33 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:12 am »
Handy little gadet johnro - bet your contribution to the wedding went down well. Yes, picture please - I want to see the pattern on the chocolate.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 11:50:40 am »
Thanks to thermie JD I was able to complete 6 different desserts (x 2 slice trays of each) while DD dipped the cherry bites on Friday night - and yes the dessert/sweet bar was a roaring success.  DD brought in her bowl so I was able to set up a production line - 1 bowl for the crumb crusts and slice bases and the other for the fillings (sour cream and apple slice, NY cheesecake, white choc, macadamia and raspberry blondies, choc mint cheesecake and double choc mousse cheesecake)- wedding planner and caterers asked would we like to begin a venture.  The response was a resounding "no thanks" - it was the wedding gift. Cheers for thermie as I had made 8 batches cookies and cream fudge in TMX through the week as well as 8 batches choc fudge and 3 batches rocky road (though not using thermie) - then rara's cherry delights.   :D  :D

Just remembered that I kept 4 (now there are 3 as I just had to eat the cut 1 in the pic) for DH to try as he has been in Sydney for the past week - so pic is below.  :D  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:34:43 pm by johnro »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »
Congratulations on a great effort johnro - no wonder you were asked if you wanted more business.  Had you made all those things before - pretty brave of you if you hadn't tested them out.  How I would loved to have seen a photo of that dessert table before the crowd got to it.   :-* :-*

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 12:38:53 pm »
JD, with the exception of the cherry bites I had made all those desserts pre-thermie.  But I must admit I winged it on Friday night making each in TMX (thankfully thermie came through - no time for any failures!!!)  ;)  ;) There was a very small window of opportunity for a pic of the dessert bar - 140 guests made sure that leftovers were limited.  ;D  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:47:53 pm by johnro »