Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8925632 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #37020 on: January 19, 2023, 06:52:01 pm »
Glad you liked the mango custard, Judy, it is a great standby.

Mab, lucky you with all those beans, maybe a bit of an on-going job at the moment, but worth it
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #37021 on: January 21, 2023, 03:37:01 am »
Made Favourite Quiche for lunch ,always a good one .

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #37022 on: January 21, 2023, 05:24:40 am »
I made a Malt Loaf today.

I also tried to make the Portuguese Bread as well.  What a disaster that was.  I ended up with a big wet sloppy sticky mess.  It looked like there was too much water and I was careful with the measurements.  I was doubtful about it after the 40 min hydration time.  After a 2 hour rise it was still wet and sticky and just ran all over the baking tray.  I still cooked it but all it did was glue itself to the tray.  The birds are now having a feast on the back lawn, I'm sure they will all have indigestion after eating it.  I didn't bother to take a photo as it was such a disaster.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #37023 on: January 21, 2023, 06:37:35 am »
That brought back memories Mab and made me laugh - the first loaf of bread I made was so bad even the birds couldn't / didn't eat it - is was the exact opposite to yours; hard as a rock!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37024 on: January 21, 2023, 07:47:56 am »
Mab that was a nuisance. Mine has always been a bit soft but still managed to hold its shape. The second one I put into a large loaf tin. DH said he prefers square bread!

Nothing here today it’s far too hot to cook.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #37025 on: January 22, 2023, 03:13:57 am »
2 trifles.  A large one to send home to DSIL tomorrow and a small one for us.   I'll add a photo tomorrow after I add the cream.

A creamy tuna mornay, some for dinner tonight and some for DD work lunch.  She is coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:15:30 am by mab19 »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #37026 on: January 22, 2023, 11:52:39 am »
I attempted to make some Banh Mi rolls today. They ended up a big sloppy mess. I think the dough over proved as it is so hot here. I scraped it into a loaf tin, let it rise and baked it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:59:58 am by cookie1 »

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #37027 on: January 23, 2023, 11:37:19 am »
Yogurt strawberry bark , Cookidoo for the new cutter . But I just sliced the strawberries. This goes in the freezer , tomorrow’s treat .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37028 on: January 23, 2023, 12:38:37 pm »
I made a fruit loaf today.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37029 on: January 23, 2023, 10:28:25 pm »
Mab, the Portuguese loaf is a very soft mix. Did you measure the ingredients in the machine or with scales? I made another loaf yesterday and it was good. I’ve made 4 loaves now from this recipe and each has turned out slightly different.  I’m still getting used to my new ovens so can’t really say yet why there has been a difference.  I know one was nearly a disaster as this was when I realised the the TMX scales were not correct.
This recipe fascinates me .
I made Spag Bol and after cooking it on the stove, popped it in the TMX and made a smooth sauce. Tastes good.
Made Trudy’s lemon Muffins and gave half to the little visitors from next door.
Today I’m making another Mango trifle. Sponge roll soaked in booze and topped with Mango Fluff.
Also saw a recipe for Italian Breakfast biscuits. Looks interesting. Might try them today.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #37030 on: January 24, 2023, 04:46:00 am »
Chookie, thank you for the bread info.  I did measure the ingredients in the tmx so have just compared the weight of the water in the tmx against my kitchen scales.  550g in the tmx and 570 on the kitchen scales.  As the flour was also weighed on the tmx (I'm out of flour until tomorrow) I can't check that.    I won't give up and will try again on another day.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37031 on: January 24, 2023, 07:49:52 am »
I think I have added about 50g whole meal flour into my bread flour Mab. I try to sneak things like this into the bread. It doesn’t change the colour but is a little bit healthy.

I love the idea of your Mango Fluff trifle Chookie. I may copy it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37032 on: January 26, 2023, 11:48:36 am »
I made Chookie’s Mango Fluff trifle. It was delicious. I had one plain one left.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:57:24 am by cookie1 »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37033 on: January 26, 2023, 08:36:09 pm »
Judy, you amaze and inspire me with how you keep trying. Although you have issues with taste and texture you still give it a go.
Cookie, that strange mango trifle I make could possibly change into strawberry or raspberry quite successfully.
Mab, sounds like your TMX scales can’t be relied on. The success of the Portuguese loaf relies upon 2 things. The first is the proportion of water to flour and secondly the 40 minute hydration. I’ve tried messing about with both of these and the loaf isn’t as good. The only trouble I’ve had is with the baking. I’m afraid my Euro oven is rubbish. Small cakes ok but bread burns and after 10 minutes I have to cover loaf with foil.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37034 on: January 27, 2023, 12:33:12 am »
Judy, you amaze and inspire me with how you keep trying. Although you have issues with taste and texture you still give it a go.

Yes I’m pretty stupid aren’t I Chookie, I waste a lot of time and ingredients on things I try and end up throwing out but I’m not going to give up just yet. Last time I visited my SIL I told her not to bother about lunch as I don’t like people having to worry about what to give me. She ended up having made a jelly and gave me the choice of custard, yoghurt and/or ice-cream with it. A perfect lunch LOL. Winter of course is easy, I virtually live on soup.  Recently NQR opened a branch reasonably close to me so I had a good browse through the shop, so much stuff and good prices with use by dates less than normal supermarkets but not out of date. I came across bottles of different types of soups but I just bought one bottle of this one just in case I didn’t like it. Most meals from supermarkets are horrible for me, believe me I’ve tried a few. I added a scoop of Sustagen to this one and it really was quite nice, it being the most like home cooked soup than anything I’ve tasted. I went back earlier this week and bought 4 more - just $1 a bottle and I get 2 meals out of it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.