Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9019245 times)

Bonsai

Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #7545 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:24 am »
Maddy - let us know how you go with the baconnaise - I tried the recipe about a year ago (it's on Tenina's website) and it was a dismal failure - ended up with very hard bacon flavoured lard!  I have since found another recipe that worked better for me, but I'd be interested to know if others manage to make this - I might have another go if it works as DS21 is a bacon freak and would love this.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: February 11, 2012, 10:04:30 am »
Maddy - let us know how you go with the baconnaise - I tried the recipe about a year ago (it's on Tenina's website) and it was a dismal failure - ended up with very hard bacon flavoured lard!  I have since found another recipe that worked better for me, but I'd be interested to know if others manage to make this - I might have another go if it works as DS21 is a bacon freak and would love this.

Well......I ended up with bacon fat soup  :o

I'm not sue if salvageable.....it took some time to do, so I hope so.....not sure what went wrong?......but on a positive note, the lime mousse pie worked  ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: February 11, 2012, 10:30:28 am »
ooo must try the lime mousse pie. Looks great Maddy!

thanks for reminding me about chookie's hot cross buns too mab - another thing on my to try list!

today i made quirkyy jo's choc hazelnut spread and some portugese cream tartlets. hubby made tenina's praw, peanut and pineapple salad

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: February 11, 2012, 10:52:51 am »
Maddy that pie looks delish and robyn love th makeshift varoma lid lol .. Did you poke holes in it so some heat could escape like in the lid??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: February 11, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
Love the pie Maddy, I was only looking at the recipe tonight and thought I must make that soon.  How did it taste?  ;D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: February 11, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »
Nothing from me for the last 2 days.  DW and I drove to Perth after work yesterday so that we could see the "White Divers of Broome" at the state theater center.  It was really good. I would recommend it too any one who is considering going.

I have put some black beans on to soak for the Dinner Spinner Beef and Black Bean Nachos tomorrow.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
Made a GF Chocolate Fudge Cake for a friends birthday today and a Hotpot for our supper. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Thermaddicted

• View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: February 11, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »
Today I am planning on making some mini bread rolls for school lunches and muesli bars. And then some sort of pasta for dinner .. No idea what type of pasta though..... Any suggestions ??
Follow my challenge Therman makes 1000 (1000 THERMOMIX recipes in a1 year)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thermaddicted/194702590628621

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:02 pm »
 i making the torta caprese from the EDC

Thermaddicted when i have no idea what to make........ we have pasta aglio e olio e peperoncino+ anchovies and topped with bread crumbs
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Bonsai

« Reply #7554 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:59 am »
Maddy - that's exactly what I ended up with as well. This interesting site gives a more workable recipe (well, it worked for me but it did split the first time and I had to rescue it). Tasted of bacon but not something I'd do again. I think if I want 'baconnaise' I'll use the bacon flavouring which has no bacon in it (the recipe is on the forum somewhere) or just dry bacon and grind it really fine and fold it through normal mayo.

I have messaged Tenina about this on her website and she's sure it works - maybe the bacon fat needs quite a bit of diluting with oil before adding to the egg.  ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: February 12, 2012, 03:12:26 am »
You have all been so busy and the photos are lovely, except perhaps for the bacon fat soup :'(.
I've made bread and yesterday spent time fooling around with a new way of making Turkish bread. I have the flavour but need to work on the cooking a bit more.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: February 12, 2012, 03:39:18 am »

A  bit hard to tell exactly what the oven temp was Hally.  My oven is old and is about 30 - 40 deg out.  I just wing it.  I think it was probably about 200 deg and I baked them for 20 mins.

The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:55 am »
Maddy - that's exactly what I ended up with as well. This interesting site gives a more workable recipe (well, it worked for me but it did split the first time and I had to rescue it). Tasted of bacon but not something I'd do again. I think if I want 'baconnaise' I'll use the bacon flavouring which has no bacon in it (the recipe is on the forum somewhere) or just dry bacon and grind  :it really fine and fold it through normal mayo.

I have messaged Tenina about this on her website and she's sure it works - maybe the bacon fat needs quite a bit of diluting with oil before adding to the egg.  ???

Interesting....I wonder if the virtual bacon dust from  in the mix book, could be mixed through the mayo instead?   
I haven't tried to rectify it yet.....I'm putting it off   :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: February 12, 2012, 05:02:52 am »
Mab19, they furned out perfect. Well done.

Maddy, mmm doesnt look appetising, very unusual for you :(

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Bonsai

« Reply #7559 on: February 12, 2012, 05:06:12 am »
I think the virtual bacon dust would work - I think I'll try that next time if I'm silly enough to have another go