Author Topic: More Brownies!  (Read 53121 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
More Brownies!
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:05 am »
Name of Recipe: Amanda's Fudge Brownies

This is the recipe that has been keeping my kids happy for years now and it makes a big pan of dense, fudgy brownies.

Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup oil
4 eggs
 1/4 cup cold water

Preparation:

Put everything into Thermomix and whizz on 7 for about 40 seconds or until all mixed together.
Pour into greased 13"x9"x2" pan and bake at 160C for 30 minutes - no longer if you like them quite dense.
Cool in pan and then cut into squares.
These will be quite fudgy and moist.

Members' comments
JD - They were delicious and I dressed them up for dessert tonight by sprinkling with icing sugar and serving with a dollop of cream and a fanned strawberry.  Looked very impressive and would do for any dinner party dessert with so little effort. They freeze well.

Chelsea - What a yummy recipe this is!  My family just love these brownies.  Alone they make a very nice treat, but when you dress them up a little (as JD suggested) they are just divine.  Tonight I warmed each brownie square up a little, dusted it with icing sugar and then placed it on a large plate with swirls of pure cream and blackberry coulis (recipe on page 158 of EDC).  They looked beautiful and tasted divine. This would be a wonderful dessert if you are cooking for a large crowd and want to impress.

CP - Made this up quickly today, but in my haste without thinking I added extra virgin olive oil -- perhaps should have used grapeseed instead. Still nice, and very quick. Sprinkled icing sugar over them to serve. Taste wise they were fine.

Carrie - I made these to take along to a gathering.Couldn't resist a taste while still warm, omg yum! So moist and dense, it's beautiful. I used EVOO too and was a bit concerned with the strong smell when opening the TMX but the taste is only just noticeable warm, and will disappear completely when cool, I imagine. Thanks for the great recipe!

I made this for the 3rd time today, gosh I love this recipe. I realised after starting that I had no brown sugar, so I subbed raw sugar and it still turned out gooey and delicious. I also used coconut oil and cacao. Thanks again for the great recipe!

CC - DH and DS have not left them alone so thumbs up from this household. Thanks Amanda for a great recipe.

maddy - Really like these. I poured the batter into greased heart shape muffin forms.  Filled 1/2 way, and cooked for 18 minutes for the smaller hearts and around 25 minutes for the larger hearts. Because they were individuals....they each have a lovely crunchy casing......and the centre is lovely and moist.

ope2kenope - So it was 9.30pm last night when I suddenly remembered I had planned to make something for DS1 to take today for his last day of day care.  I had this recipe on my list of things to make and because everything is a pantry staple for me, and it takes less than a minute to whizz up...off I went. How sensational are they?!  They are sooooo good. I only had 2 whole eggs left, but a stack of egg whites frozen in the freezer, so I used two of them (just partially thawed in the microwave) in place of 2 whole eggs.  I've not made this recipe before so I'm not sure what sort of a difference that made, but as far as I am concerned, the taste and texture is just fine.

astarra - well call me an extremist ... but I've just made my 3rd batch of these brownies (I hate chocolate myself but my DH and DDs 1&2 love the stuff) - big thumbs up from us all, sooooooooooooooo quick and easy - but this batch I've made for a friend who's having a bub and feeling crap(!!) and to make it even more special, this brownie is only the base - once cooled I've made a cheesecake topping and poured it over, waiting for it to set now so I can slice, package and deliver it .
Update - OK, a definite success with the cheesecake topping.

Kimmyh - Made these for dessert tonight and served with raspberry coulis. Very nice and easy recipe. I baked mine at 160c no fan and they were ready spot on to the time in the recipe.

Nighteyes fitz -  must have a really slow oven. I cooked mine ( Gluten free and normal) at 160 and they weren't anywhere near cooked at the 30 minute mark. Still very wobbly and under cooked. They have come out perfect though eventually. I made the Raspberry Coulis and everyone loved it.

Yvette - Made these today YUMMO.

Rachael87 - Made these tonight and YUM!! So good but also so naughty.

jeninwa - Made these this morning to take for morning tea, so quick and easy, they were a great hit with everyone, and tasted great even though I  forgot  to add the water oops.

fruity - this has become my go to recipe when the kids at the last minute say,.... mum we need to bring a plate, and the addition of 1/2 - 1 pack of glace cherries............... droooooool . My daughter thinks it is fantastic as she can have it being dairy free.

astarra - Just made 2 batches of this into muffins for lunchbox treats - I love how quick, easy & adaptable it is and also the fact it is DF. Cooked them for 20min.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:51:56 pm by judydawn »
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: More Brownies!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:43:02 am »
Great stuff - now what's going to happen to the diet  ;)

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:58:58 am »
i am SOOOO craving something decadant and bad after a week camping (with no fruit and not too many veg lol)
i want choc chip cookies but am too tired, this might do the trick ;) or maybe geoff (dh) can do the trick ;) heheheheh
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 06:24:21 am »
amanda i just made these and realised you have no cocoa or chocolate in them - is that right? (i added some cocoa til it looked right lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 06:45:07 am »
I have a brownie tart recipe that is great with all the fresh berries around just now.
It's on my site, and here's the link;
http://cravepublishing.com/steamovencooking/2008/08/brownie-tart-steam-it-up/
If you don't have a steam oven, just use a bain marie in your normal oven for a fudgy texture out of this world!!
You can of course, make the almond meal in your TM first...something I haven't written into the recipe.
LOVE BROWNIES, will post a BLONDIE recipe soon enough, now that I am salivating!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:40:03 pm »
amanda i just made these and realised you have no cocoa or chocolate in them - is that right? (i added some cocoa til it looked right lol)

Good work brazen,  I don't know how many times I write out a recipe and post it then go back to make it and think - WOW - where's the ..........., and wonder why somebody hasn't pointed out the mistake. (Probably nobody makes anything I publish - there's a thought)

Amanda - wouldn't it have been fun to send this in "somewhere" to be published without others testing ???  ;)

Reminds me of a published cake recipe that had 1/2 cup of baking powder - that makes them airy!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:59:21 am »
 :-[ :-[ :-[
Blush
What a goose!!  I think that I have fixed that now.  It needs 1/2 cup cocoa.  I need an editor!!

I have just had a similar experience with a new cookbook I bought.
I paid $50 for Greg Malouf's "Arabesque" last week and discovered that the first recipe I went to make didn't list all the ingredients!  When the recipe got to the bit where it said to add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and rosewater I thought that I had gone mad.
I am thinking of calling the publishers because I seriously hate sloppy editing.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:06:45 am »
Contact Greg directly - he is busy getting ready for the re-opening of Mo Mo in the Grand Hyatt, but sure he would be happy to respond.

Just purchased Turquoise - not sure that I needed another cookbook, but . . . looks great
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:31:26 am »
Emailed Greg Malouf this morning and he replied this afternoon.  A nice man.
His "Moorish" is to be re-released next year in hardback.  Was going to start hinting for that for Christmas, but I will wait now! ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »
Amanda, with all the talk about brownies on the forum today, I checked my file and pulled yours out.  They were delicious and I dressed them up for dessert tonight by sprinkling with icing sugar and serving with a dollop of cream and a fanned strawberry.  Looked very impressive and would do for any dinner party dessert with so little effort.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:06:35 am »
Emailed Greg Malouf this morning and he replied this afternoon.  A nice man.

Yeah Amanda - that was before he got back into the kitchen - he is still nice, but have you received the lentil and labna dish?  Haven't forgotten, need o go to MoMo.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
Amanda, with all the talk about brownies on the forum today, I checked my file and pulled yours out.  They were delicious and I dressed them up for dessert tonight by sprinkling with icing sugar and serving with a dollop of cream and a fanned strawberry.  Looked very impressive and would do for any dinner party dessert with so little effort.
Took some pieces down to GD today, she had one piece after her breakfast and packed another away for her kindy lunch.  When she arrived back home she ran straight to the container and yelled out to her Mum 'there's some left!' so she was obviously hanging out all day to have another piece.  I had to phone them back tonight with the recipe as she wants to make some for her dad in their TMX.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »
What a yummy recipe this is!  My family just love these brownies.  Alone they make a very nice treat, but when you dress them up a little (as JD suggested) they are just divine.  Tonight I warmed each brownie square up a little, dusted it with icing sugar and then placed it on a large plate with swirls of pure cream and blackberry coulis (recipe on page 158 of EDC).  They looked beautiful and tasted divine. This would be a wonderful dessert if you are cooking for a large crowd and want to impress.  Our family of four will have had dessert on three nights from this one batch (and a couple of sneak pieces for me during the day).
 Chelsea :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
They last even longer in this household Chelsea. Made my batch on Aug 3rd and still have enough in the freezer to have 2 pieces each with cream and fruit for our Father's Day lunch coming up - easiest dessert in the world to serve and looks great too.  I took a few pieces around to Mum today and she raved about them too.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »
Made this up quickly today, but in my haste without thinking I added extra virgin olive oil -- perhaps should have used grapeseed instead. Still nice, and very quick. Sprinkled icing sugar over them to serve. Thanks Amanda
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand