Author Topic: Chocolate Ice cream - with photo  (Read 61091 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Chocolate Ice cream - with photo
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:40:00 am »
CHOCOLATE ICECREAM
420g thickened cream  
150g Nestle Plaistowe Couverture Deluxe Chocolate or one with min 60% cocoa,
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
75g caster sugar

Place the choc in the TM bowl and grate for 5 secs/speed 8.  Use spatula to scrape down sides of bowl.

Add cream and melt for 2 mins/50°C/speed 3.

Add butterfly and weigh in sugar.  

Add vanilla then program 2 mins/speed 4 and with blades turning, add yolks one at a time through the hole in the lid.   Leave MC off.

Pour into a jug (I used a big glass jug to speed chilling) and refrigerate for 40 - 60 mins, or until cold but not set firm. (give it a swirl now and then)

With the ice cream maker turned on.  Pour the mixture into the bowl.  Churn for 25 mins or until the mix is rising up onto the paddle.

Remove from the bowl and serve immediately as a soft serve or spoon into an airtight container, seal and freeze over night for a firm consistency.

Remove from the freezer and stand for 5 mins before scooping and serving.

Photo was taken after about an hour of chilling in the freezer, still not set hard enough so put back in freezer and left overnight.
Checked today and it had hardened.  Only needs a few mins out of the freezer to be able to scoop and serve.

A smooth, creamy chocolate ice cream.

Members' comments
Amanda - I have just finished churning this ice cream in my ice cream maker and have popped it into the freezer to finish it off - before I do!! It is lovely - rich, chocolatey and creamy. Great recipe Julie, thanks.

Mel81q - it turned out just like Sara Lee ultra choc icecream - yummo! Am hoping that hubby doesn't find it in the freezer - fingers crossed, and thanks JulieO for a superb recipe. Will be making this one again - next time with the thickened cream LOL.

Zan - OH this is so rich and decadent (I usually half milk, half cream for my ice cream) and I could eat the whole tub, lol.

zebra - This is fabulous! We ate it when it came out of the ice-cream maker and it was a perfect chilled mousse. Delicious. Can't wait to try it again tomorrow after it has been in the freezer. 

dyljon - OMG - made this today using process from EDC, and it was simply the most creamy, decadent, delicious ice-cream I've ever had! I had no idea it could turn out so good without using an ice-cream maker.

ClareN - My husband is a chocolate freak and he LOVED it.  Said it was the best ice-cream ever.

JD - This is the ice-cream I made today and I used an old rectangular shaped tin which Mum used to set her ice-cream in.  Somehow I have managed to put knife cuts in the bottom of the very thin metal so I lined it with 2 layers of plastic wrap.  Licking the spoon and bowl has given me my first hints as to how delicious this ice-cream is going to be later when it sets fully.
I have now made this the TMX way and the ice-cream maker version.  I did reduce the chocolate to 100g this time and it is still very rich but it's a lovely smooth ice-cream.  It works well in either machine.

KerrynN - Made an ice-cream cake.
Have just put the "cake" into the freezer. Very glad I did a test run today as the quantity isn't going to be enough so will have to do another batch - on the plus side, the reduced quantity meant I didn't taste test other than licking the bowl, and spoon, and spatula, and my fingers..... Might even put a strawberry layer in between - haven't searched for recipes yet but fingers crossed. I have lined the tin with glad wrap so hopefully that will do it.

The ice cream cake was a success!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59055494@N05/5415331670/

For the first layer I used this recipe with pure cream. The result was delicious, with the texture a bit "grainy" because the chocolate didn't melt completely through. I liked it this way but if you wanted it completely smooth I would suggest increasing the cooking time by a minute or so (or at least until all the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream).

For the middle layer I used a bit of a mish mash of recipes. I cut up about 350g of strawberries and put them into a bowl with 15g of sugar, 1tsp vanilla paste, and 1 tbsp lemon juice and let it all sit for a few hours in the fridge. The base of the ice cream was the creamy vanilla from the EDC with only 65g of caster sugar, plus 30 grams of vanilla sugar (I ran out of the caster) and no vanilla added (as it was in the sugar and the strawberries already). When I was ready to put the ice cream in the freezer (i have no ice cream maker) I stirred in strawberry mixture. However, if I was doing this again I would blitz the strawberries into the base mixture for a few seconds before adding to the freezer to make sure that they all combined correctly.

The way I did it, the mixture took ages to freeze with the liquid from the strawberries not having incorporated correctly. I ended up leaving it overnight and then blitzing the whole thing in the morning and refreezing, then blitzing again before adding to the chocolate. It ended up a bit icy - a bit more like sorbet than creamy ice cream but I didn't have time to start again and how many 6 year olds were going to care right?

The top layer was this recipe again but this time with half pure cream and half thickened cream. The resulting texture was amazing! It was as smooth as chocolate mousse and really rich and delicious.

I was interested on the feedback too. A few kids didn't eat their as it tasted too grown up. Some adults liked the grainy chocolate, some the moussey one, and quite a number commented that they really liked to contrast of the less creamy strawberry as it balanced the richness of the chocolate layers.

Oh, and the very top was just chocolate magic - the stuff that sets hard when put onto the ice cream.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I can say that this is a great recipe, even without an ice cream maker! Oh and I would suggest putting the ice cream into a shallow tray (like a lamington or slice tray) for the first freeze as it freezes much quicker than 3 - 4 hours. You can also put your tray into the freezer to chill before pouring your mixture in.

Nana2three - I have made this ice-cream 4 times now, and each time a great success.  I put some Kahlua through one batch, and some choc chips . Absolutely delicious.  Thank you for sharing this recipe.  It is now a family favourite.

bkmundt - I just have to say 'wow'. I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out but this is the best ice-cream I've made so far!!
I followed the instructions initially and then just froze in a cake tin overnight. Took it out of the freezer and left for 5 minutes and then put in the TM 10 seconds on speed 9 and then about 20 seconds on speed 4. Initially went all crumbly but I beat it for longer on speed 4 - and then wow. Wonderful ice-cream!!! I had some last night and I've refrozen the rest to have tonight. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Jacq - Thanks for this delicious recipe!

LeeJ - Have this churning as we speak. Made a couple of adjustments to original recipe, as I'm pregnant, so raw eggs are off the menu. So for the last step, programmed for 4 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 4, with butterfly in. Will be back in half an hour with full review.

Beautiful.
I only churned for 15 minutes, as I only bought a very cheap ice cream maker, and it's only recommended to use for 15 minutes at a time lol. Then popped it in the freezer for about an hour. Well, at the moment it's like a gorgeous chocolate mousse. Which, for a pregnant lady, that's heaven  Cheesy (No mousse while pregnant). It is a little too rich for us, so I think we would use less chocolate or one with less cocoa. It is truly decadent! Will definitely go on the 'make again' list!

kokokodio - I made this ice-cream yesterday and it was really lovely.  I froze it on a baking tray then chop it up to blast in TM.  I popped it back in the freezer and whipped it up one last time before serving, though I don't think the second 'churn' was completely necessary.  Will definitely do it again!

foodiepep - Yes,  I've made this ice cream twice now.  I double the recipe now.

Lellyj - I "christened" my new ice-cream maker with this recipe, thanks Julie O.  Delicious and rich--I didn't think 1 scoop would ever be enough ice-cream for me, but you are right--one scoop definitely satisfied me!  Not so, my big boys though, who happily finished the whole batch!  I stirred through crushed up peppermint crisp in the last few minutes of churning.  Next time, I will follow foodiepep's suggestion and double.  Thanks again!

KerrynN - This is the second ice-cream I have made with my new Ice Cream Maker. Fantastic texture and flavour, if a little bit too rich (I can't believe I'm saying it but...) perhaps next time I would use half the chocolate, or maybe not a 70% one.

Hally - Made this today with white chocolate. I bought some really good white chocolate from a chocolatier cafe. I am a huge white chocolate fan.This was D I V I N E. Very rich & a small scoop is enough. Thoroughly recommend this recipe yet again.

Littlemiss009 - I made this recipe, but added 50g of cocoa and used the technique in the EDC rather than with an ice-cream maker. I stirred through some chocolate chips too, it was so rich and yummy! I am trying a white chocolate version today to see what happens.

lozzylooloo - I made this earlier today using "double thick cream" (I'm vegetarian so can't eat thickened cream", and Cadbury dark chocolate chips as other posters have commented its very rich, and I wanted to tone that down slightly. I used the TMX freezer method.
It tastes lovely, and when scooped has the ice-cream look, but it doesn't seem quite right? It's more like a dense, chewy mousse almost. It doesn't have the coldness melting on my tongue sensation I am used to with ice-cream. Is this normal? Sorry, it's only my second attempt at ice-cream ever (my first, from the EDC, worked fine).  So either it is just a different texture/taste/concept for me to get used to, or it's a result of my variations.
Any insights gratefully received.
(And it's definitely still delicious - I am testing*cough cough* very regularly to see if the texture is changing the longer it is in freezer)

BZB - JulieO, this icecream was A M A Z I N G !! Soooo smooth and creamy.I used 300g Pura thickened cream, 50g cream, 200g Whittakers Dairy Milk chocolate and the other bits as per recipe. The base tasted like Paddle Pop. Churned this morning and chucked the still-runny blend into the freezer. Tasted the ice-cream just now. Went out to Woolies to buy more cream straightaway. Hehehe

This is now a firm favourite of the family. Ran low on thickened cream and chocolate. Had to make do with a bit of cocoa powder and cream. Still yum! With cherry sauce.

Tweaked the ingredients to use up the whole carton of 600g thickened cream. Decreased sugar cos I only had milk choc in hand. DS14 tweaked the recipe to add cocoa powder in an earlier version, and I followed suit.
I used the basket to stop splatter when making this ice-cream. Worked well.
My notes for this batch...
570 g thickened cream
130 g Chocolate
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
50 g caster sugar
30 g cocoa powder
Love this ice-cream. Thank you Julie

Suzanne - I made this yesterday the kids loved it as did dh, wasn't any left but I did get the cream for 99c.

Cookie - I use cheap cream to make most of my ice-cream. I have even used cream that has been a week or so out of date, though not sour.

jeninwa - This has to be the best chocolate ice-cream, I've used this recipe many time, using different chocolate yesterday day I used a $2.00 block of dark chocolate from Kmart ( a christmas gift from one of the kids at work) it tastes great.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:02:36 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate Ice cream - with photo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:22:46 am »
How can you make this without an ice-cream maker Julie - any clues please?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:38:19 am »
It looks smooth and delicious Julie. What sort of icecream maker do you have please? I have often thought about it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:11:34 am »
Cookie, it's a Breville Scoop Factory.  Had it about 11 years and never been any trouble, very simple to use as you see by my instructions above. Wasn't overly expensive either.

Judy, I'm sorry, I've never made icecream except in my maker, but looking at the 'Creamy Traditional Ice Cream' in the EDC, I would follow those instructions.

Where I tell you to put into the fridge to chill for an hour, I would put directly into the  freezer and leave for 3 - 4 hours or until firm but not frozen. 

The book then tells you to take from freezer, cut into medium sized pieces and place back into the TM bowl.  Mix for 20 secs/speed 9 then for 10 secs/speed 4 using the spatula to assist.  Then return back to freezer.

Doesn't say any more after that so I presume it is then ready to go once it has firmed up.

I think it's worth having a go.   :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
Thank you so much for that JulieO - nice of you to do the work for me.  Now I have to come up with the goods ;) ;) Made ice-cream today so it will be a little while before I need anymore but I will certainly be giving this a go - you are all welcome to beat me to it though as I'm sure there are plenty out there without an ice-cream maker who are wanting to make this treat for their family.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45:20 am »
Good work JO,   :-* :-*

I was going to buy an Italian ice cream maker 2 years ago, but when we got Bimby I really couldn't justify it as we rarely eat ice cream.  But....... now I might just have to go looking- Sunbeam had one at their factory outlet.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:53:10 am »
The photo looks truly splendid.  Smooth and divine.

I posted a recipe last week without eggs - uses condensed milk instead.  It doesn't need an ice cream maker and looks pretty similar.  I love the endless variety in ways to cook.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:52 pm »
Good work JO,   :-* :-*

I was going to buy an Italian ice cream maker 2 years ago, but when we got Bimby I really couldn't justify it as we rarely eat ice cream.  But....... now I might just have to go looking- Sunbeam had one at their factory outlet.

I would recommend one for sure.  We don't use ours a lot either but it's great when we do, makes the whole process so easy. 

I have heard that the ones that have a freezing disc aren't very good, the bowl ones are better.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:19 am »
Thanks for that tip - the Italian one was on special as the store was not buying any more - soooooooo sorry now!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 06:59:51 am »
I have just finished churning this ice cream in my ice cream maker and have popped it into the freezer to finish it off - before I do!! :o
It is lovely - rich, chocolatey and creamy.
Great recipe Julie, thanks ;D!!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:36:51 am »
Will this work using fresh cream? I have just made a batch, and was wondering why it was splattering everywhere with the MC off? Just re-read and have realised i used fresh cream? I have it in the fridge now cooling down - any recommendations before it goes in the ice cream maker? (this is my first ever attempt at ice cream)>

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 07:28:26 am »
Gee that photo is awesome!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 08:12:10 am »
Mel ,it should be fine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:32:09 am »
Thanks Cookie, it turned out just like Sara Lee ultra choc icecream - yummo! Am hoping that hubby doesnt find it in the freezer - fingers crossed, and thanks JulieO for a superb recipe. Will be making this one again - next time with the thickened cream LOL  ;)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:07:23 pm »
Hi Mel, if it's splattering too much just use the steamer basket on top to stop it going everywhere.  I can't see using pure cream would be any different than the thickened.   As long as it tasted good, that's all that matters.  ;D