Author Topic: How do you store your bread?  (Read 17056 times)

Offline SR

• View Profile
Re: How do you store your bread?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:11 am »
There are two of us in the house and I tend to wrap my bread in alfoil and it seems to last for quite a while (especially the 5 seed loaf).  I haven't needed to put it in the freezer yet.
Sue from Adelaide

Offline grandma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 01:47:14 pm »
I had some Cape Seed loaf left over after two days and toasted it - it was yum. 

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 10:47:21 pm »
Thought I'd bump this one - we've been joined recently by some fantastic bread bakers who may have some more ideas.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 05:30:58 am »
Good thinking Cathy I would like a better solution too
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:42 am »
Ok - nothing really new - but how about cotton bags like ham bags and then into the plastic freezer bags/plastic container ?

Still not much help - maybe post in Bread thread?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:27 am »
If the bread is to be used within 2/3 days I put it in a thick paper bag,   If it is to last for longer I wrap in foil and freeze.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »
My kids tend to store it in their bellies lol ok I know not much help  ;D ;D

did find this on the net though so might help a little  ??? ???

Bread Storage Dont’s

Don’t store bread in the refrigerator. It dries out, even when packaged in sealed plastic bags.

Don’t store crusty breads in plastic bags or in plastic wrap unless you plan to re-crisp the crust in the oven.

Don’t store soft, enriched breads in paper bags unless you intend to dry them out for bread crumbs or croutons.

Don’t store any bread that you intend to dry for crumbs in plastic bags or plastic wrap. If the moisture cannot escape, the bread will eventually mould.

Don’t store warm bread in plastic bags or plastic wrap. Wait until it has completely cooled down (no warmth at all), to prevent condensation from forming in the bag and thus accelerating mould development.

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »
That's a good list of 'what not to do' Kathryn.

I wrap my bread in a tea towel and place in a large plastic bin that I bought from The Reject Shop. My bread keeps for four days. There's only the three of us and we only eat it for breakfast.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 07:36:49 pm »
You can store crusty bread in plastic bags if you use the following "trick" to refresh it prior to serving.
This also works with artisan breads that have been frozen and thawed.

Pre-heat your oven to 200 C.   When it has reached temp,  simply turn on the cold water faucet run water over the entire crust (avoid getting too much on the crumb if the loaf has been cut)  IMMEDIATELY  put the loaf into the oven directly onto the rack - no pan!

Set your timer for 15 minutes - 18 for larger round loaves, etc. 

Remove from oven and serve immediately.   The bread will be as crusty as when first baked.   
It will stale more rapidly so use it up as soon as possible. 

This is a baker's strategy for selling loaves that were baked hours earlier.   Many small bakeries do not have the huge ovens available to some bakers and have to  do their baking at night so as to have product the next day. 
The loaves that are first baked will not retain that crisp crust when stored in the bins where they are placed to keep them from staling and customers want crisp, crusty bread. 
This way they can "refresh" the loaves just prior to putting them out for sale.   
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:38 pm »
Thanks for that reminder Andi,  I always do this with bread rolls for the table when we have guests.   They think that I have just baked then.   It  is especially convenient if I have had something baking in the oven.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 03:17:30 am »
It's also a restaurant strategy for using rolls made from one day when no customers turn up.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:54 pm »
I remember my Mum doing that with bread and bread rolls...
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand