Author Topic: The Best of our Recipe Communities  (Read 41772 times)

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
Re: The Best of our Recipe Communities
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08:50 am »
I received this book for having a demo and purchasing. I'm pretty disappointed not much appeals out of it! Anyone else?

I'm the same as you. It was the May gift for buying a Thermomix. I've looked through it a few times and there really isn't anything that appeals to me.

Part of me thinks it's the photos. They aren't very appealing and most of the contributors (aside from the Aussie ones) look terrified. Seriously.

Beth

Yes, the photography does not possibly do the recipes justice!

I got this book in May with my tmx and there really isn't anything that appeals to me either. A lot of it looks like it just stepped out of a 70's weight watchers cookbook. (Not low fat recipes as such but just daggy and really poor styling of the food). I don't mean to be harsh, but that was mine and DH's first comment after we looked through it  :-\

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:34 pm »
I received this book for having a demo and purchasing. I'm pretty disappointed not much appeals out of it! Anyone else?

I'm the same as you. It was the May gift for buying a Thermomix. I've looked through it a few times and there really isn't anything that appeals to me.

Part of me thinks it's the photos. They aren't very appealing and most of the contributors (aside from the Aussie ones) look terrified. Seriously.

Beth

Yes, the photography does not possibly do the recipes justice!

I got this book in May with my tmx and there really isn't anything that appeals to me either. A lot of it looks like it just stepped out of a 70's weight watchers cookbook. (Not low fat recipes as such but just daggy and really poor styling of the food). I don't mean to be harsh, but that was mine and DH's first comment after we looked through it  :-\

I am still struggling to get some inspiration of something to cook from it! Lucky we have the forum- best recipe book ever!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »
If you have kids the chicken kebabs on pg 42 are a winner.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 11:37:50 pm »
The whole style of the book is dated as are all the official cookbooks  apart from the EDC which is basic as is necessary.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:25 pm »
The whole style of the book is dated as are all the official cookbooks  apart from the EDC which is basic as is necessary.

Gert

Hmm so a purchase of the Indian and Vegetarian one would be a poor move too!? That was my plan at the end of this month!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:30:23 am by judydawn »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 11:53:38 pm »
I dot have the recipecommunity, not interest in buying it.

My favs are
For Foods Sake, Quick Fix in The Thermomix, Devil of a Cookbook, Dinner Spinner

Then by H.O
My way of cooking & the indian.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 12:19:50 am »

I think they are not so bad being specific and basic. It is the other compilations that are crap,like Full Steam Ahead, Travelling with Thermomix , My Way of Cooking and the latest in the series.

Customers are held to ransom to buy these very ordinary cookbooks.

Having said that many people like them but I venture not as much as For Food Sake written with "us" in mind by an expert with beautiful text and stylish pictures.  It is far more sophisticated and aimed at intelligent cooks which I believe we are on on this forum.

In my opinion Vorwerk is stuck  in  70’s mentality with their business plan for the Thermomix. Customers are far more savvy these days and more discerning with their spending. Certainly  a free crappy cookbook would not induce most of us to spend $2000 on a TMX. The paucity of thermoservers  is another ploy to hold a demo. Desirable as it is there are other containers that do an equal job. One is an oven. The others can be found in kitchenware shops and Asian shops.

Gert

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:22:48 am by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 12:58:36 am »
The paucity of thermoservers  is another ploy to hold a demo. Desirable as it is there are other containers that do an equal job. One is an oven. The others can be found in kitchenware shops and Asian shops.

I REALLY wanted a thermoserver but i really didnt want to host a demo.  We just don't have the room or the time for a demo, too much of a hassle.

I ended up buying the insulated food server from IKEA instead and it's great - and only about $25 too!

I really dislike this if you want it you have to have a demo mentality that TMX Australia has for all of its products.  Once you have bought your thermomix you should be able to purchase the accessories and cookbooks for it!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 01:05:44 am »
With all the new competitors on the market Gert, you would think Vorwerk would be looking at updating their whole selling plan.
There is certainly no comparison with official recipe books and the latest books available.  You only need to browse some of the URL links on this forum to find wonderful TMX recipes on people's blogs which are sometimes the class of those in these latest non-official books.  If you spent the time, you would come up with your own recipe book for entertaining with some of the lovely recipes you will find on some of these sites. There are some very savvy cooks out there getting the best from their Thermomix.

CGL - were you wanting the Vegetarian book for vegetarian options or, like me, thinking it would have side dishes of vegies in it?  It is not a bad book but for sides, not good.  Our forum has heaps of lovely things to do with vegetables so I'd think about that one unless you are cooking for vegetarians.  The Indian book is probably worth getting if you like spicy food.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:34 am »
Judy I am a reformed Vegetarian, and still have many friends that eat Vego- I do prefer vegi food! I like to eat with lots of legumes as does my little girl. I might ask my consultant if she has a copy I could take a peek at prior to buying!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 02:11:19 am »
Then the book may be what you need cgl, have you seen some of the recipes members have done and reviewed hereThis thread may be useful for you too - an index and ingredient list.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 04:18:39 am »
Judy I am a reformed Vegetarian, and still have many friends that eat Vego- I do prefer vegi food! I like to eat with lots of legumes as does my little girl. I might ask my consultant if she has a copy I could take a peek at prior to buying!

Good luck with that!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:19 am »
I have most of the books from Vorweck, and rarely use them except for the EDC.

I find the recipes on here are much better.
You can buy them online from HO, But the EDC you need to find a consultant, which mine left straight after she sold me my machine.

I find a lot sell the 6 machines, then leave the company.
The recipe community website is harder to navigate so I don't go there.

As Judy says, lots of blogs with great recpies.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:27 am »
I a glad someone else finds the recipe community hard to navigate and so so slow.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 04:41:40 am »
Courton, that's why I never go on there at all.

Too hard to navigate, and find things..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url