Author Topic: Chicken Chimichangas  (Read 14966 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Chicken Chimichangas
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:03:44 pm »
I found a recipe for Pork Chimichangas in a copy of Recipe+ and as I'm not overly keen on pork I substituted chicken breast in when I converted the recipe for TMX. You could of course use pork mince like the original recipe.

Ingredients:

8 large wraps (see notes below)
120g tasty cheese - cubed
1 medium red onion - peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic - peeled
35g organic olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1/2 small red capsicum
350g chicken breast or thighs diced (2x2cm)
1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
large handful of baby spinach leaves
oil for shallow frying (I like Grape seed oil)
1 medium avocado, peeled and chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
sour cream to serve

Method:

Make wraps and set aside (see note below).

Grate cheese in TMX for 4 seconds on speed 8. Set aside

Chop onion and garlic in TMX for 2 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down sides, add oil and saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees on reverse speed 1. Add the spices and cook for a further minute at the same temperature.

Add capsicum and chop for 2-3 seconds on speed 5. Add chicken and chilli sauce and cook for 5 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse soft speed. After the cooking has finished add the spinach leaves and stir through with spatula.

While this is cooking chop the avocado and tomato (by hand). Combine with lemon juice and set aside.

Assemble the Chimichangas by laying each wrap out separately and placing a row of grated cheese down the centre (not all the way to each end though as they have to be tucked up). Spread the meat mix on top of each row of cheese being careful not to spoon on the liquid that may have cooked out from the chicken and capsicum. Fold in opposite sides to cover filling and then roll up completely to enclose filling.

Heat oil to a moderate heat in a fry pan and shallow fry the parcels in 2 batches turning once. Placing the parcels folded side down first will help to keep them together. Drain on paper towels.

Serve on a platter or individually with the avocado salsa and sour cream.

Notes:

I followed this wonderful recipe but increased the ingredients to make a larger amount. I used 375g spelt flour, 150g water and 70g organic extra virgin olive oil. This amount made 8 large wraps.

When I make my wraps I always give the TMX bowl a quick wipe with a blob of the dough before proceeding to roll out the wraps. This really helps when it comes to cleaning the bowl.

This is a very mild Mexican dish, but could easily be spiced up by adding a chilli or some chilli flakes in with the onion and garlic.

The chicken may break up a little bit during cooking which is fine and won't be noticeable in the chimichangas.

I made these with beef mince last week.  I just cooked the beef for a couple of extra minutes. We really liked the beef ones too.  I toasted them in our press.  They were very easy and tasted fine (not crispy like the shallow fried ones though).

members' comments

cathy79 - I used this as the base of our dinner. The recipe for the wraps is fantastic - a really easy dough to work with.  The first few I thought were under cooked  but they actually turned out better as they were flexible.  Whereas the one's that were fully cooked cracked when folding - not that it mattered.  They taste delicious.  So I think the key might be to just cook quickly as they'll get cooked again anyway.
I used leftover roast chicken roughly chopped, so just "cooked" it for a minute with the chilli sauce.  I mashed the avocado and smeared it on the wrap before adding cheese, chicken mixture and a few slices of tomato.
Then I cooked in our sandwich press instead of frying, so they were like doner kebabs.  It was delicious.  We all enjoyed it, even my fussy meat hating 5yr old.

rubyslippers - Thanks for posting this Chelsea.  Yummo! I didn't make my own wraps though - that's a challenge for next time.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:30:18 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chicken Chimichangas
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:11 am »
Thanks Chelsea.  They look great & sure they would taste great too.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:04:24 am »
I used this as the base of our dinner tonight.  The recipe for the wraps is fantastic - a really easy dough to work with.  The first few I thought were under cooked, but they actually turned out better as they were flexible.  Where as the one's that were fully cooked cracked when folding - not that it mattered.  They taste delicious.  So I think the key might be to just cook quickly, as they'll get cooked again anyway.

I used leftover roast chicken roughly chopped, so just "cooked" it for a minute with the chilli sauce.  I mashed the avocado and smeared it on the wrap before adding cheese, chicken mixture and a few slices of tomato.

Then I cooked in our sandwich press instead of frying, so they were like doner kebabs.  It was delicious.  We all enjoyed it, even my fussy meat hating 5yr old.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »
Yes I think quick cooking is best with the wraps.  They are so quick and easy to make and the dough is lovely to work with.

I'm glad you enjoyed the chimichangas and the tweaks sound great.  :)

Offline Wendyt1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:48:51 am »
Hi, I cant seem to find the recipe for the wraps, please can you help me out as these sound fantastic!!!!!!! Wendy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:51 am »
Hi and welcome Wendyt1. If you click on the word 'this' that is underlined (I followed this wonderful recipe) in notes it will take you to the site of the recipe. Hope it works for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:51:11 am »
On my menu plan for this week :)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:20 am »
Made these last week- we loved them.  Making them again this week!  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:51:46 am »
So glad you enjoyed them.  We love them too.  ;D

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:27 am »
Added this to my 'to make' pile.

:)

Thank you

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
Yep, this is next on my list to make. Just something to try also, to keep them wrapped up you could always use a little flour and water mixed to a paste (glue) and use this along the edges to be sealed to help glue them down. I will try this myself when I make them.

This was one of my favourite meals at a great mexican restaurant in North Adelaide (when I used to travel a lot for work pre-kids), haven't had this in years now, so I'm looking forward to making it. 

Just a question for those that have made them, do they get nice and crispy by shallow frying ?  I think they used to deep fry them in the restaurant in Adelaide as the were very brown all over and very crunchy.

Thanks for the recipe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 03:03:46 am »
We love them shallow fried and thought they were lovely and crispy.  We don't deep fry food, but you could certainly give it a go.  :)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 08:24:51 am »
I just toast ours in the cafe press, they are delicious.  It's become a frequent Monday night meal as I use a cooked Coles chicken, so it's a really quick dinner :)

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:07:03 am »
Debbiebillg you must be talking about Zapatas and yes they do deep fry the chimichangas - delicious!

*jo*

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 04:08:45 am »
Chelsea thank you for this great take on frajita/enchilada...I too used a cooked chicken and shredded it and toasted in the press...PERFECT  :D