Author Topic: Budget Meatless Fajitas  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
Budget Meatless Fajitas
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:37 am »
Name of Recipe: Budget Meatless Fajitas
Number of People: 2 adults and 2 children
Ingredients:
To serve:
Cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce

Tortillas:
60g oil
370g plain flour
2 tsp salt
warm water

Filling:
1 small onion
1 large clove garlic
2 tbsp oil
530g fresh tomatoes (or substitute)
50g TVP (textured vegetable protein - fake beef mince)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried rosemary
black pepper, ground
2 tsp TMX vegetable stock concentrate (or substitute)
420g can cannellini beans
50g water

Preparation:

1. Grate cheddar cheese and set aside in the fridge until serving time. Shred the washed lettuce and place in the fridge.

2. To make tortillas, add oil to  *: followed by the salt and the flour. If you have any ready-made spice blends add them now. Try 2 tsp max of something like 'grill seasoning' or 'steak seasoning' for something a little smokey in flavour. Add 1/2 MC of warm water and turn on to speed 4. With blades running keep adding 1 tbsp approximately of warm water until the dough comes together in a ball, like regular glutenous bread. It will take up to about 1/2 cup of warm water, but it depends entirely on the flour that you use, the temperature and humidity of the room. You need to get a feel for a good dough rather than simply following a formula. Once the dough feels like the right texture, knead it on the  :: setting for 2 minutes. Remove dough from the bowl, set aside, covered for at least half an hour. Remove as much dough from the bowl as possible, perhaps by removing the blades to help, but don't worry about washing it.

3. Quarter the onion, peel the garlic, and add both to  *:. Chop on speed 6 until the "I'm working hard" noise subsides and the onion is mostly stuck on the sides of the bowl ;). Then add oil and sauté for 4 minutes on speed 1 at varoma temperature.

4. Add fresh tomatoes, quartered, or a substitute, plus the TVP 'mince'. Set at 15 minutes on speed 1, at 100 degrees.

5. When the timer says 12 minutes remaining, increase speed to 4 for about 10 seconds to start breaking up the fresh tomatoes, then drop back to speed 1. Add the cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, sweet paprika, rosemary, black pepper and stock.

6. When finished, add the drained can of cannellini beans and the water. Cook for 5 minutes on speed 1  :-: at 90 degrees. The set aside in the Thermoserver while you roll and dry fry the tortillas.

7. You should get around 7 tortillas out of the dough, but that depends what size frying pan you are trying to fit them in. We got two medium-large tortillas for Mum and Dad, one large for each child, and one small left for the eldest child. So divide your dough into balls that are a bit larger than golf balls, and roll them into circles on a floured benchtop. The oil in them should make them pretty elastic and easy to handle. Roll them to about 3mm thick then dry fry them in a hot frying pan until browned on each side. They get big bubbles in them that you may need to pop, and are inclined to REALLY cook at the peak of those bubbles so try to flatten them out. I find they stay softer and more pliable than commercially made/bought tortillas :) I have no idea how long they'd last in an airtight tub though as I only ever make 'enough'.

Place a tortilla on a plate, dollop two big spoons of bean mix in a line down the centre, top with cheese that will begin to melt, and then shredded lettuce (if not diced tomato and cucumber too :) ). Roll however they work for you  :-*

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
I used ready ground spices, but you can roast and grind them yourself, of course.

We actually have a little left over bean mix which DH will no doubt take to work for lunch tomorrow with some bread :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Budget Meatless Fajitas
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:35:15 am »
Good work Depome - great to have all the steps in the pics :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.