Author Topic: How long have you had a TM and what convinced you to buy?  (Read 14135 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Re: How long have you had a TM and what convinced you to buy?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:28 am »
My husband (a chef) bought our first one. Around 1984/5. I recall that I was faintly irritated by having another machine in the kitchen plus it was a bright orange. Uggh! :P  At first I didn't use it at all but then made my first soup. I liked it but I didn't feel very enthusiastic. Sadly, my husband died in 93 and I decided to exchange the orange one for a 3300 model, happily in white! 8).  I became more enthusiastic with this one and then Thermo mix wrote to me and asked if I was interested in buying the TM21 as they were getting rid of stock to make room for the TM31. I was hesitant at getting it just for me but then I told myself that I deserved it. I did use it but certainly not to the extent that I use this TM31. I am now almost three months in to my TM31. I have become a Thermy addict  and with the help of this forum and the Cyndie O'Meara philosophy, I am a fresh foodie convert. When I get around to it, I intend to look through my husband's posh cookery books and perhaps convert some of the recipes.
xx ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:12:56 am by Decadent Dot »
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:53 am »
Wow DD what a journey you have had with the TM. I would of thought yuck with the bright orange one as well. Its great that you have refound your love of the TM.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:09 am »
Back in March 2009 a friend of mine had become a demonstrator and was nervous about her first demo.  So I offered to let her do a practice run to the two of us just to help her out.   Little did I realise that we both would be completely won over.

It did help that it was the year of our BIG birthdays - I had already bought him a very expensive coffee machine for his, so it was a no-brainer as to what my birthday present would be.   I was very brave and waited until May to take delivery of it.

Since I got a sewing machine for Xmas when I was around 13 years old, I think I've never been as excited about a present as I was about this one.   And I use it a heck of a lot more than I ever used that sewing machine (although I've still got it)  :D :D

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 08:26:00 am »
it was waaaay back in June 2008 when my DH came home and TOLD me about this fab machine a customer of ours had told him about. It apparently did everything and he was certain that we needed on. I was tasked with finding out more information about this "Thermomix" thing!!

Let me tell you that back in 2008 there was not a lot of information out there on the big www  :-)) :-))

I managed to find the cooking class link and booked in for the local one here (I think it was also the first class in the area!!) I saw the B2B was impressed but wasn't sure I wanted to buy one... This is from a person who didn't know how to cook, burn carrots all the time (my kids will tell you that honey doesn't hide the burnt taste  :o lol).

I came home and talked it over with DH and we decided with the 5 kids etc that the time and money saving would have to be at the very least worth our investment. 10 days later I ordered our TMX  ;D ;D

Little did we know the journey we would undertake and the difference it would make in our lives!! I wish I could post a video of DS4 in all his glory before we started on the no additives journey. My goodness even I had forgotten until I watched it again the other month. His teacher doesn't believe me when I tell her what he can be like when he consumes additives and preservatives.

Like JD I have to say, it was this forum (and the old yahoo one) or really Thermomixer and Brazen that encouraged me to keep going. Now if I can't do it in the TMX I don't do it!!! I have thrown out my pans and my TMX sits on a custom made bench on my stove top.

This is once VERY VERY HAPPY Thermomix family ... the down side, none of the kids want to move out unless they have their own :P :P
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 08:32:33 am »

This is once VERY VERY HAPPY Thermomix family ... the down side, none of the kids want to move out unless they have their own :P :P

at least you know what it's gonna take  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 09:26:19 am »
CP,Couldn't help but chuckle at your comment.
My three moved out but insisted on the promise that I and my sewing machine (not the Thermomix) would be available to them. 
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 09:57:39 am »
Had my Hermy nearly three weeks! Initially I was impressed at the time saving and dishes savings (in my family of 3 ds plus husband). Also loved being able to do so much with raw and basic ingredients, without the packaging, preservatives or any other crap. I loved that it made it so easy to include nutricous additions to meals (eg nuts. extra veg- very handy with picky eaters) and that I could create wealth of fabulous meals with only the one machine. The price, yeah it a bit of a sting, but I think (hope) it will pay for itself before very long. In the meantime I have found a new love!!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:38 am »

at least you know what it's gonna take  ;D

LMAO unfortunately more than that - the 20yo isn't budging yet even with a TMX apparently
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:47 am »
I've had my wonderful machine for 3 years in November. I found this site just before I had it delivered and with Brazen and Thermomixer to help me innitially and then lots of others like Judy have continnued on in leaps and bounds. I would be truly lost without termite.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
I got my Thermomix on the 14th September 2010. Will remember that date forever.. (What's my wedding anniversary date??  :P)

First heard about it 4 years ago.. Friend of a friend was extolling the virtues of it & the mashed potatoes it produced. I thought "Bugger - a lot of money for mashed potatoes!".. She loved cooking - I didn't - so I didn't take too much notice.

Fast-forward August last year. Life wasn't great. I'd lost my brother the month before and it had shaken up the whole family, but we were trying to move forward. He'd suffered from debilitating arthritis his whole life, so we knew he was out of pain. The loss was huge though.

My consultant-friend invited me to a cooking class. I decided to go, just for something to do.

That was it. I was absolutely gobsmacked. I hated cooking, but had to. I wanted to feed my children healthy meals, but had always resented being in the kitchen. I knew this thing would help me - with my cooking and just in general state-of-mind stuff. It excited me.

My husband was against it. He "knew" it would sit in the cupboard once the novelty wore off  :-))  The more I researched, the more I realised just how much it would help me. The fact that it could help with my son's food intolerances was the clincher.

Four weeks later I had it. 2 weeks after that I was training to be a consultant.

My parents say I have a new zest for life. They're right. All because of a kitchen appliance! :D

Karen
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »
thats a story with a happy outcome karen, thank you for sharing it  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 03:02:49 pm »
A friend asked me along to a demonstration of a "cooking appliance" as a neighbour of hers was thinking about buying one.I went along and didn't have a clue to what I was going to see.This was back in the "old" days when the TM21 was on the market.I was blown away at what the TM could do and fell in love with it there and then.I spoke often of buying a TM but because of the expense I never thought I would get one.Then five years ago DH arranged a demonstration for my birthday (by then the TM21 had been upgraded to a TM31) At the end of the demo I was told by the the demonstrator that the TM was mine because DH had already paid for it.We celebrated with champagne :D :D  DH then bought me a second bowl for a Christmas present. ;D

Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:16 pm »
oh thats so sweet of your DH CC  :)
Karen glad to hear you have a new zest for life thanks to thermie  :)

I had heard of Vorwerk because my mother in law had an antiquated version of the thermomix...orange and silver thing that mixed and heated and thats about it (so early days) but she raved about it and how expensive it was was great too 'back in the day' and still worked...remember thinking well your a bit nutty for spending so much money on what is essentially a blender.  Some time later I was invited to a themed party at my neighbours house....seems to be the thing around of late for everything from cooking appliances to candles and lingerie, anyway she invited me to come and I said sure what for this time and she said Thermomix so in the time leading up to the demo I had a look online to see what this thermomix was and nearly fell off my chair at the price thinking she is mad and there is no way I am ever going to spend that kind of money on any appliance.  I told DH and said Ill go but I wouldnt be long as I wouldnt be interested in it..the price tag just put me off as I have a tendancy to buy, use then I get over it and it gathers dust, anyway he told me to go but NOT to buy anything.. off I went and I think it took about 5 mins and I was sold lol...the consultant laughed and said later that everybody is like that ie not interested because of the price until they see it!  Anyway I came home telling DH Im getting it, he tried to put me off for a few days as he had intended getting it for my birthday later the same month but my hounding broke him quickly and at the one on one demo at our house we bought it (its a thing in France that everyone at your demo gets a dish cooked for them as a 'gift' at their house (no obligation) ...that was july 2010!  Oh and also love this forum....!...and needless to say I got home quite late as I stayed right to the end!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline NikiG

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 12:23:17 am »
2 of my super healthy and very slim friends have Thermies (one of whom is now my TM consultant), and I developed product envy - my subconscious mind figured that if I had one, then I'd be super healthy and very slim too ;) Yes I know it doesn't work like that, but what control do we have over our subconscious minds?? When our blender/food processor died about this time last year, I was hopeful, but DH felt it was way too much, and he was convinced I would hardly use it. We bought a Vitamix (nearly $1000), but it didn't do food processing, so in Jan this year I bought a Magimix (nearly $600) - after those combined expenses I should have just bought the Thermie to start off with!

For Christmas last year, DH declared he was buying himself a new surfski (+/- $2000), which he has only used a handful of times, so at the end of July, I plucked up the courage and declared I was buying us a Thermomix, and needless to say, in the 2 weeks that I have had it, I have certainly used it more than a handful of times! I will be keeping the VM (it really does make supersmooth green smoothies, and as we have these every day, we need to love them, and it also mills flour much finer than TM), but the Magimix is up for sale!

I am a vegetarian who has recently gone (mostly) dairy free and am now trying to go gluten free too (in an attempt to clear up my rosacea), and up my raw intake, so I know the TM is the perfect accompaniment on this journey.
NikiG
Central Coast, NSW

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:09 am »
I bought mine in November 2009, also sight unseen, from a Canadian distributor because they are not sold in the U.S. - at least there are no authorized dealers here.

I had heard about it from a friend who knows I collect odd kitchen appliances - mostly vintage but some new, if they are unique and interesting to me.
I saw it in operation on a couple of Food channel shows and on a PBS food show.
There were a couple of topics on the eGullet forum about it  "Thermomix Collection"  which was the tipping point for me, after I looked at a bunch of YouTube videos and read some online articles. 

I'm an omnivore.  I don't use my TMX as much as most on this forum but it has become a most important tool in my kitchen.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/