Author Topic: Does anyone recommend any vacuum sealers?  (Read 13071 times)

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
Does anyone recommend any vacuum sealers?
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:07:52 am »
Hi everyone. Several years ago I bought a Sunbeam vacuum sealer which I initially found to be fabulous for saving & freezing food that I take away on our boat when we travel. However, it didn't last very long & the "vacuum" function failed. I took it back & it was replaced...but unfortunately the same thing happened. Sunbeam replaced that one too but it failed also! Since then I've been using it as a sealer only which it still does effectively but I'd really like a vacuum sealer that works. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone recommend any vacuum sealers?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:32:33 am »
Just read the entire thread on vacuum sealing & have come to think that I must do something wrong with my Sunbeam. Everyone seems to be very happy with theirs! I have tried all the recommended trouble shooting!
I should take it to a service shop perhaps!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:46:50 am »
You could email them and ask what you are doing wrong LizzieM, I find people only too willing to help if I am having problems with something I've bought.  How often are you using your vacuum sealer?   I have a Bigland sealer and have had no problems with it, was only $99 and a few of us bought that particular brand a while back.  I don't use mine a lot, mainly if I buy a piece of bulk meat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:57:08 am »
My Mum has a Sunbeam one, and no problems...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:22 am »
I have a Sunbeam foodsaver and have had no problems, infact I recently purchased the food saver jar sealer kit that goes with it so I will be hoping it lasts a bit longer.  Mine would be about 7 years old and has done quite a bit of work.  Sorry cannot recommend any other as have no experience with them.  As Judy suggests it maybe worth contacting Sunbeam  to see if they can help you.

Marie

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:14 am »
I have an Eiffel Freshpack Pro FM-05 and have been very happy with it - saves lots of space in the freezer and no freezer-burn on meats and fish. Have a look here http://www.fresherpack.co.uk/products/1/1/vacuum_sealer_-_eiffel_freshpack_pro/ and here http://www.planetseafishing.com/reviews/read/eiffel-freshpack-pro-vacuum-sealer/.  Not sure if you can get it in Ausland.

I want to get hold of the vacuum containers as well to store soft items, only thing though is that they're bloo very pricey. Though Christmas is just around the corner - will have to add it to my (very) long Santa list ;D
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 10:08:09 am »
I also have the Sunbeam food saver, no problems, I don't use it that much usually when going in the caravan, sometimes it doesn't vacuum first time but it is usually something I am not doing right.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:08 am »
Thanks for your info girls. I did use my Sunbeam a lot while it was working..kept it clean. My family were laughing at me as it was I always whirring away in the kitchen. My hubby is very good with mechanics & checked it out for me with no result. The first machine was sent for service by Grace Bros & was definitely dead & they also replaced the second one saying they wouldn't do it again. I will take Judy's advice & email Sunbeam as I was so fed up with them at the time after my 3rd failure! 
If they can't offer any fix, then I think I'll look at another brand as I loved having the facility as I cook & freeze a lot!(though less since the "down-size" to our apartment).
Like Aussie Brenda I found it great for preparing food for boat trips, but also good keeping food fresh in the freezer when it's there for a while....we travel a lot.
The Eiffel Freshpack sounds very interesting Rogizoja..will have a look. I have the vacuum containers for the Sunbeam but didn't use them much.

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:46:02 am »
Hi LizzieM
We also have the sunbeam, quite expensive to buy but works well, we wanted a second machine for the boat, and not happy to pay nearly $200, we bought 2 on ebay, the first was rubbish, but the 2nd was is better than the sunbeam.
We paid $49 including delivery with 5 small and 5 large bags.
One of my friends asked me on Friday to send her the store from ebay that we bought it from, if you want, when I go back to work tomorrow, I will send the info through.
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:24:27 am »
Hi 50plus...thanks for writing...have just got off the phone to a service guy in Ashfield who sounds dubious about fixing it. I would love your ebay info please as it looks like I'm in the market for a new one.
I love the sound of the Eiffel but haven't found an Aussie supplier & it is expensive. I was hoping that would mean more reliable!
Am keen to fix my problem.
Cheers :-*

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:22 am »
Lizzie, what is the warranty on Sunbeam.. If they sell you a product that is faulty, you have the right to a replacement or refund, no matter what.

The manufacture can't walk away from a faulty product.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 10:31:05 am »
Failure to get a good vacuum can often be down to the bags being used. I only use embossed bags as they have micro-channels on one side of the bag that provide a route for the air in the bag to be sucked out; they work perfectly every time. I've found it's really difficult to get a good vacuum with unembossed bags and now avoid them like the plaque (waste of money)!
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:46:57 am »
I think I'm just unlucky as Sunbeam replaced my machine twice & the 3rd one lasted only a couple of months too. They said they wouldn't replace it again when I got the 3rd one...which I guess I should have kicked up about! But that was a couple of years ago now. I've since read a forum where many people talk failing VAC440s after owning for a few months. My first one worked for about 8 months before dying. I think it won't cope with heavy use! I was using them a lot! And that seems to be the common thread amongst those who've had dead machines.
Anyway, I also rang a service guy who tells me they're not really repairable & that they don't work with non-Sunbeam bags. I did use Sunbeam bags, but I'm putting it all down to experience. It wasn't that expensive in the scheme of things so I'm going to buy one from ebay!!  Yay!!!
I think I'll try the Bigland one...at the price it seems ok if it fails after 6 months!
We'll see.
Thanks for your help girls...I really like the Eiffel Rogizoja & may end up tracking one down eventually!
Meanwhile...shopping is fun! ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 03:34:51 am »
If you use the machine really often Lizzie, maybe it best you get an expensive one.  The cheaper ones are probably only good for occasional work.  It's a pity someone couldn't have given some guidance on using the Sunbeam machine, maybe you were doing something wrong and a trained eye would have picked it up immediately.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:58 am »
Judydawn you commented last year that you bought a Bigland  vac sealer....is it still going strong, I have to replace my Sunbeam that I have had for quite a few years, I don't use it much anymore but do need one for when we go away etc. I have been looking at them on ebay for arount the $60 to $80 mark depending on what bags etc you get with it but thought I would ask the question if yours has lasted?
Thanks