Author Topic: Macarons - French Style (With Photo)  (Read 91786 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Macarons - French Style (With Photo)
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
Cp you dont need a mould you can just draw circles on a pice of baking paper and use that using something easy to trace around however like any patisserie tmps and ingredients need to be fairly exact.and good quality ingredients. Practice makes perfect right and even if they dont look like perfect litle morsals? At first they will still taste delish  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:27 am »
You can actually buy tins for macarons here now CP but as Frozzie says you certainly don't need them. Just pipe them onto baking paper. You will easily do them all roughly the same size. I'll look forward to hearing how they go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:14 am »
You can get a template for the size circles you want, place this under you baking paper and pipe away.
Saves you having to draw or trace the circles onto your baking paper everytime and the template is reusable.

My sisters friend has a cake decorating business and has made a PDF template for this purpose.  I can email you the PDF if you like CP.

I've never made macarons though (my OH is allergic to nuts, so I can't use almond meal  :()
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:11 am »
thanks Katiej, if you could email the template it would be much appreciated. I'll PM my email address.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 04:40:23 am »
my macs dont come out right  :( thier flat and cracked. the mix is thin and wont fluff up no matter wat i do the eggs are fresh. i tryied it 4 times now and only  once did it work (the second time) HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :(

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:19 am »
No expert but it could be due to too much humidity.. .. Also could be an air bubble problem...need to tap those babies out.. I find maras recipe on helenes blog explains it well.. Also its best to seperate the whites 2 to 3 days before and kep them in the fridge but take them out the night before as they need to be at room temp, with most recipes you need to do the croutage ie let them dry until they arent sticky to touch before cooking them and to have smooth macarons you need to sift the almond powder and make sure the weight on the recipe is the sifted amount of almond powder.. Also be careful when adding any colouring to them as its best to use powder colorants and not liquid as it can change the consistency of the mixture and it can be too liquid.. Have you tried the recipe on helenes blog ..super kitchen machine?? Keep at it.. You are far from being the only one to not succeed at macarons.. Alot take two or three goes to get it right.. Let us know hoz you go.. Ill try and find the link for the other recipe as apparently is foolproof??

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
I have more flops than successes with macaroons . I must admit though I found Mara's recipe to be one of the best if you want to use the TMX.
Is your bowl spotless when you mix the whites? There must be no grease or anything.

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:15 am »
thanks frozzie ill try there next.
the bowl was spotless i cleaned it twice and dryied it
i did add liqued color and flavour but it work perfectly the second time.
it all seems to go pear shaped when i put the caster sugar in.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:44 am »
Dear kathleenm,

Adding sugar to whipping egg whites in the TMX is a skill.  There are notes on it in a Thermomix calendar - this year's or last year, plus in a thread on the recipe community about making pavlova.

At a recent cc, I saw a sponge cake demonstrated and we were told to add the sugar spoonful by spoonful, stretched out over a period of some five minutes.

Here are the notes I made on the recipe:

Room temperature eggs.

"Whip, watch, spoon in sugar and do something else so you don't get impatient."

We were also warned not to get fingers onto the white or yolk of the egg and to crack only onto china, stainless steel or glass, not plastic. 

I don't know whether that is helpful for your macarons, but I thought it followed on from what cookie1 has already shared.  Good luck next time.  :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2012, 07:50:51 am »
I'm so excited to try this recipe! Not only am I novice cook, but I am also a novice thermo cook!!

I live rurally in the desert - so we have ZERO nice foods... This is my new mission!

I've never whipped egg whites before... I am very nervous! I am a perfectionist though, so hopefully that works in my favour!

Has anyone got some tips on how to flavor the mix? I'm aiming for lovely blue macarons with perhaps a white chocolate ganache inside (I've never made that either!)

Hopefully I can show a pic from my phone  if I'm successful

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:12 am »
Sarahm I wish you luck. I was told that it is usually the ganache in the macaron that carries the flavour, not the macaron itself.

I have had success with Mara's recipe from Super Kitchen Machine. Frozzie posted the link earlier.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2012, 09:33:00 am »
I agree with cookie 1 Sarahm  go to this recipe

http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2012/15853/macarons-recipe-thermomix.html

Then go to this thread and read thoroughly

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9668.0

They can be tricky and climate should be taken into consideration. Where do you live?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:04 am »
Oh awesome, thanks so much ladies! I currently have my egg whites 'aging' and I'm making them tomorrow!

Good tip to know about how to flavor the macarons too! That makes so much more sense.

I live in Karratha - but it is quite warm here again now, so I have all the air cons on during the day anyway :p fingers crossed that will help!!!

Thanks again!

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:34 pm »
Actually I have one question regarding Mara's recipe - when do I add the colouring??? I've bought the wiltons concentrated paste sobwill only need a tiny dollop of it... Do I add it while I'm folding in the dry ingredients? I'm assuming I don't add it to the egg whites as it wont work then!?!
Thanks!