Author Topic: Tenina's For Food's Sake - Links to reviews  (Read 138298 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tenina's For Food's Sake - Links to reviews
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:03 am »
My book arrived today whilst we were out.  Tonight's homework taken care of ;)  Thanks Tenina, it looks lovely at a quick glance.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 07:51:35 am »
YAY JD, was starting to worry the postie had seconded it!

Enjoy xx

;D ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 11:03:49 am »
My book arrived today whilst we were out.  Tonight's homework taken care of ;)  Thanks Tenina, it looks lovely at a quick glance.
Great homework :D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
Yes, it might be a long night.  I usually can't put a book or magazine down until I have read every recipe and made a list of what I would do from the book/magazine.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 11:35:06 am »
Yes, it might be a long night.  I usually can't put a book or magazine down until I have read every recipe and made a list of what I would do from the book/magazine.
So after burning the midnight oil with your homework making lists, it's off shopping  for you tomorrow. ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »
No CC, I have visitors today for lunch and out tomorrow so cooking new recipes on hold for the time being.

Well folks, I was sitting up in bed until 2am this morning reading every recipe - my list of 'to do' recipes numbers 74. I beg of you not to put out another book too soon Tenina, I haven't finished Dinner Spinner yet and For Food's Sake is going to take me a long to time to get through.  I don't want to live to be 100 but it looks as if I will have to if people keep putting beautiful books out like you and Alyce have lately.

Your book just blew my socks off - I knew it would be good but I honestly expected there to be so many recipes that didn't appeal to me because of the 'yuppy' ingredient factor.  OK, there are some of them and I may need to get over my adversion to chorizo once and for all and even give quinoa a go.  Crio Bru, well I will just substitute with coffee for the time being.

I love the pantry section and of course before I can really get stuck into this book, I'll have to make a few items on there so that I am prepared for anything.  Every section presented itself with doable recipes for either everyday use or for special occasions with visitors and some of the desserts are really special.  It is the best book out so far so you can be very proud of yourself Tenina. I will have to buy DD one for her birthday, I know she will love it too.

Only one disappointment and that is - where are the photos for the Jacket potatoes & pesto sour cream and the Braised brussel sprouts?? Two recipes I will definitely be doing and no photo. Looks like I will have to rely on someone else doing them (or me) and posting our own photo.

A couple of questions Tenina.

1)  Cheese sage polenta is obviously instant polenta with the quick cooking time of 8 mins.  This may catch some out who have not cooked polenta before with instant not being specified.

2) Artichoke & potato gratins - bake 60 mins then a further 10 mins (at least) then remove foil and bake a further 20 mins? This seems such a long time to bake small ramekins, does it really need that long?

3) Sage, potato & leek soup - a handful of sage leaves? I was always under the impression that one did not use too many sage leaves in a recipe, is this not overpowering with this quantity? I have a bush so the quantity is not a problem but I have only ever used a few leaves in a recipe because of what I had read.

4) Broad bean & pea salad.  If making ahead is it OK to drizzle the oil on beforehand or is it better to leave it until the last minute.
Guess it is not like lettuce that would go soggy so figuring it is OK.

5) Crio Bru beef chilli - substituting with coffee, will it not be too strong with those quantities (170g brewed liquid plus 2 tbspns granules. You don't make the brewed liquid with the 2T granules do you?)

Once again, congratulations on this beautiful book and thank you so much for your generosity in sending it to me.  I will enjoy cooking and reviewing the recipes over the coming months. :-* :-*

Offline Mary Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »
Well thanks to Tenina my book is on it's way.  :) :) Can't wait... :)
Lifes like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get................

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 09:46:41 am »
This little wonder arrived today Tenina and have done nothing since arriving home form school except read - you must feel so proud of this latest accomplishment - thank you and congratulations on a job well done!!!!!  

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:11:05 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 01:27:01 am »
Judy you have certainly read the book with a proof readers mind. I'm still gaga over the recipes. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tenina

• View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:46 am »
Thanks all for great feedback, so happy everyone seems to be enjoying the book so far.

Judy we did pics of all the recipes but the brussells and the jacket potatoes are out of focus in the lamb shot…sorry..both delicious of course!
1. You are correct about the polenta…I should have written time as specified on package, which would have elimiated errors…
2.I hate uncooked potato gratin…but you could reduce cooking time if you really wanted to…they were divine when cooked that long.
3. I love sage…so handful it is…without the stalky bits.
4.Oil drizzling can be as early as you like, though you may need to add more just prior to serving.
5.No the brewed liquid and the granules are two separate components of the flavour base…we will send you some to try! How about that!

Johnro, how do you do those little cute pics?? Thanks.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
Thanks for the answers to my questions Tenina - I love being able to ask the author questions about their recipes and get such a prompt reply  :-* :-* 

Thanks for the offer of a sample of crio bru too, maybe that's the answer to convincing me it is  worth having in the pantry  ;)

Offline Tenina

• View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 10:28:31 am »
Of course its worth it…WINK!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
So easy Tenina - here you go. Pick a smiley of choice and copy the forum code under the image paste into your post on the forum - no need for inserting pic/hyperlink etc.  BTW the choc cheesecake form FFS was a winner with all except DH who does not like dark choc and I used the 70% intense Lindt  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline arluin1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 08:15:24 am »
I ordered my book last Sunday and it was waiting at the front door on Tuesday. Talk about prompt service!

I've yet to do anything other than read it and salivate. Mum's coming to visit for a few days at the end of the week, so will give something fantastic a shot then.

North of the River, Perth, Western Australia

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 09:21:19 am »
Hi,
can anyone recommend the cut of beef to use in the shredded beef tacos recipe please?  ???