Author Topic: Beef Enchiladas  (Read 105575 times)

Offline theweewelshone

• View Profile
Re: Beef Enchiladas - With photo
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2010, 11:35:42 am »
Mine are currently in the oven but I'm not very confident of success. My mince seems very fine although I didn't do Speed 3 as there were no lumps - just left it on Reverse + Speed 1, also it seems very liquidy. I think I added 3/4 of the sauce back to the mince but maybe it was too much. There was still plenty for pouring over the enchiladas.
I added 1/2 a tin of kidney beans during the mince cooking stage as I like kidney beans and extra veggies is always a good idea for the kids.
I would have expected the extra kidney beans (drained) would have made it even less liquidy.
I wonder where I went wrong?
Next time I'll add less enchilada sauce and see how it is. I can always add more if it needs it but once there is too much sauce then you can take it out :)

Myf

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2010, 01:40:49 pm »
Hi Myf  ;)
I only add enough sauce to give the right consistency- the rest goes on top.  I think it will still work out fine, even if there was too much in there.

Let us know how it turned out!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »
Hi theweewelshone, welcome to the forum.  Here's hoping yours turned out much better than you thought they would.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline theweewelshone

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
Well although the enchiladas were hard to roll due to the liquidy-ness they ended up tasting great and the kids devoured them and even asked for seconds :) The tortillas soaked up some of the sauce whilst cooking so it looked fine in the end.
Next time I make them I'll add the enchilada sauce bit by bit so I can still roll them up.
The addition of kidney beans was nice and the kids ate those no worries. I added the kidney beans a few minutes after the mince was put in as I liked my beans softened by some cooking. As they were put in during the reverse + 1 stage they remained whole so if you don't like whole beans - or want to hide them from the kids - then chop them before doing the mince stage.
My Thermomix is only 2 weeks old so I'm still definitely in the learning curve stage but I'll still classify this meal as a success. My first mexican without using a sachet mix for the flavour - yay! I did use those funny long life tortillas though. The challenge is on to try and make my own.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 01:05:17 am »
Great news, it was indeed a success and not a failure theweewelshone.  Any meal that kids come back for seconds has to be a success.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:10 am »
Hi Myf, I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end.  When I first made this dish, I didn't put the MC in place and therefore the sauce was much drier and didn't give me much sauce to put over the top. I think other's thought it was a little dry also, so I re-did it with the MC in  place and it resulted in a much wetter sauce and so I edited the original recipe.  By all means, leave the MC off if you prefer a dryer sauce, or a mixture of both until you get it how you like it.  Thanks for reviewing it for me.  :D

Offline theweewelshone

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:20 am »
Hi Myf, I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end.  When I first made this dish, I didn't put the MC in place and therefore the sauce was much drier and didn't give me much sauce to put over the top. I think other's thought it was a little dry also, so I re-did it with the MC in  place and it resulted in a much wetter sauce and so I edited the original recipe.  By all means, leave the MC off if you prefer a dryer sauce, or a mixture of both until you get it how you like it.  Thanks for reviewing it for me.  :D
Julie - by all accounts your recipe is a huge success - I think my problems stem more in my newness to Thermomix. So do not worry that its your recipe :)
My 11yo loved helping make this - he loves my Thermomix and is official 'button/dial' man. I love how its simple and safe for the kids to help out with. Though they'd love a see-through bowl so they can see what's happening inside  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 02:37:14 am »
... and am going to invest in a tortilla press - I never knew such a thing existed - thanks JulieO! (Actually, it was your enthusiasm and photos that convinced me I needed a thermomix in the first place - without having laid eyes on one - so thanks for everything!)  :D

Good to hear you're having fun and that the forum is helpful.  Think I have too many gadgets to be allowed to get a tortilla press
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:05 am »

My 11yo loved helping make this - he loves my Thermomix and is official 'button/dial' man. I love how its simple and safe for the kids to help out with. Though they'd love a see-through bowl so they can see what's happening inside  ;D

Yeah that would be good.  BTW Welcome to the forum .  :-* :-* :-* :-*  Hope you have lots of successes too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »
Absolutely scrumptious Julie!
Kids cleaned their plates too.  We really enjoyed the flavours.
Nothing more satisfying than making your own tortilla's  :D

I didn't have passata sauce, so I used 2 tins diced tomatoes (roughly drained) and just mixed it longer on speed 3 with mince. I bag my mince in 600g lots, so with the extra meat mix that didn't fit in tortilla's, I added it in with the salsa for the topping.

P.S........sucker for gadgets, so guess who ordered the tortilla press after dinner  ;) ;D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:50 am »
Looks great Maddy, glad the family enjoyed it.  :)   I really must get the press out again and make some more.   ;D

Just a tip, remember to line the press with either plastic wrap before pressing, or do like I do and use a liner that I've cut to size for both the top and bottom plate. 

Julie.  :D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 03:06:46 am »
Thanks for the tip Julie  :)
I (did) buy tortilla's often, as the kids were more willing to eat meat dishes served on or in a tortilla.  So glad I can make my own now (which justified the press  ;)).
Just wanted to ask you, which brand of liner do you use, and did you get it online?
Also, did you find a corn tortilla recipe that works?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:14 am »
I was also wondering about corn tortillas.  It would be great to have a recipe for those also.  :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 03:47:32 am »
Maddy,  bought this liner on a roll (further down the page) so I can cut off what I need.  I keep the 2 circles I cut out with the press.   I find it very good and better value than buying the one sheet. 

Also bought the bbq sheet, again good if you use a solid top bbq at home, much easier to clean up, and more hygeinic if you happen to use a public barbecue when having a day out.  :)

No, I haven't looked for a corn recipe yet, another must do.  ;D

Julie.

http://www.magiccookingsheet.com.au/index.asp?page=Magic-Cooking-Products-More-Information

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 04:10:20 am »
Thanks for the link.....I just ordered a roll  ;)
A bread demonstration I went to, used this type of liner for all her bread roll tins, hot cross buns etc.....
Will definitely come in handy with many uses.

P.S....I think you should start a shopping thread Julie.....you find all the good stuff  ;)  I'm still dreaming about your pasta machine!!!  :D
.........EAT CAKE!