Author Topic: Mexican Beef Slice  (Read 20180 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Mexican Beef Slice
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »
Name of Recipe: Mexican Beef Slice

Ingredients:

1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters
2 cloves garlic
1 carrot, cut into chunks
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
1 capsicum, cut into quarters
400g beef mince (I used 500g)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I made my own, but this is equivalent to 1 packet of store bought) http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5620.0
1 teaspoon cumin
1 egg
2 egg whites
350g milk
150g self raising flour
1 tomato, cut into slices
1/2 cup light grated cheese (I used a bit more)

Preparation:

Grease 24cm flan dish and line bottom with baking paper if needed. I use a ceramic dish which doesn't stick, so I don't line with paper.
Preheat oven 200 degrees celcius fan forced.
Place onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini and capsicum in tmx bowl and chop 3 seconds, speed 5.
Heat 1 tabs oil in a medium frypan and fry mince until brown.
Add veggies and cook 2 minutes.
Stir in taco seasoning and cumin. Cook 1 minute then remove from heat and set aside.
Add eggs, milk and flour to tmx bowl (no need to clean) and mix 10 seconds, speed 5. Scrape down and mix again 10 seconds, speed 5.
Pour batter into flan dish, top with mince mixture, then tomato slices and finally cheese.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until brown.

Tips/Hints:

I use a ceramic flan dish that is almost an inch deep and much deeper than my 24cm quiche tin which has the removable base. 

Can add 1/2 cup corn kernels to beef mixture. I don't as not everyone eats corn in our house.

Original recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True by Annette Sym.

members] comments

INAID - Very yummy. A little caramelised. I had enough mince left over that I made another half batter mix. It made 12 bars and 6 muffins. the mince sort of sinks into the batter but still on top. They are very yummy and I did use the full egg. However next time I think I will use an extra egg and cook on a lower temp perhaps as I just found it took a while to cook through. The top was browning before the batter was cooked.

thermo 18 - we really enjoyed, we had it with salad and will make again. Next time might try individual ones for lunch box.

Katiej - I blitzed my vegies a little too much and they were quite mushy, next time I'll be sure to be more careful. It was very tasty, my DH went back for seconds. Thanks for the recipe Kimmy.

CC - we all loved it. Thanks Kim, it's a delicious recipe.

KarenH - this was delicious.Thanks so much KimmyH.  Another firm family favourite.

JD - I made this for DD the other day but on the way home I realised I had only put in 3 tsps taco seasoning instead of 3 tbspns.  As the whole family loves Mexican food, they were expecting a certain taste and of course it didn't deliver - when I told her what I'd done and asked her how it tasted, she said it was like a shepherds pie but a bit bland. I will have to do it again and put the correct amount of seasoning in it this time.

mcmich - Lovely recipe. I doubled the mixture as I had kids and a friend coming at short notice. Served with salad and mixed some taco seasoning through butter to spread on a French stick to make Mexican bread. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.

Delightful Den -  I really enjoyed it but there way too much mixture for my flan tin and it got a bit messy. The 'dough' mixture was very runny.

Kimmyh - Yes it is Den. Bit like a crepe batter.

Bedlam - made this and the taco seasoning.  DH  loved it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:00:33 pm by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Beef Slice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Kimmy.I'm sure my lot will love this ;) ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:27 pm »
This looks so yummy!  I might try with rice flour, do you think that would work?  Would be really nice with guacamole on the side I think!

Also Kimmyh, could you share your recipe for your homemade taco seasoning?  The packets from the store gives me heart palpitations just looking at the nutritional info. I think they have about a week's worth of sodium.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »
Looks good Kimmy. This one might be good for the lunch boxes this week, cooked in bar moulds.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »
Looks wonderful Kimmy, now on my to do list.  :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:18 pm »
Thanks kimmy, always looking for new mince ideas :) plus I have everything that is needed :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:19:52 pm »
Not sure about rice flour Laura, but give it a go and let us know. You will need to add a raising agent in there to mimic self raising flour.
The recipe for taco seasoning is on the forum Laura. Here's the link http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5620.0

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:23 pm »
This sounds a very interesting recipe Kimmy, it's hard to imagine what it would taste like.  The mince & vegies obviously sink and mix into the batter layer or does that layer stay separate?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »
Some of the batter sort of stays separate and forms a crust a bit like an impossible quiche/pie. Some of the beef sinks a little. Hard to describe. Next time I will take a photo of it cut so you can see the inside.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:16 am »
Thanks Kimmy. I've printed it off and my DH will make it one day soon.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

• View Profile
Re: Re: Mexican Beef Slice
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 12:31:48 pm »

I made them today. Thanks Kimmy. Very yummy. A little caramelised ;) I had enough mince left over that i made another half batter mix. It made 12 bars and 6 muffins.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:46:19 pm »
Individual slices, good idea INAID.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
Those look great INAID!  Did the batter mostly stay at the bottom, or did it creep up the sides of the muffins like a tart? It does look like it's all encased in the batter.  I'd be happy to open my lunchbox and have that inside!!

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
It's like Kimmy explained, the mince sort of sinks into the batter but still on top. Hard to explain. They are very yummy and I did use the full egg. However next time I think I will use an extra egg and cook on a lower temp perhaps as I just found it took a while to cook through. The top was browning before the batter was cooked.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 10:05:51 pm »
Great idea as little ones INAID.
The temp in recioe does seem high, but works with my oven.  I think it's the type of dish you use that browns things up. My ceramic dishes cook things slower than my tins. You can always cover food with foil if it browns too quickly too. Glad you enjoyed it xox