Author Topic: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)  (Read 101000 times)

vivacity

Re: Washing Machine Detergent
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »
The detergent sounds great and I wanted to give it a go. When I asked for ammonia at the chemists, I was asked which concentration I needed. What did you use for your recipe? Thanks for your help.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 12:28:10 am »
i wish i could wash only once a week too!!! (though dh does most of ours anyway ;)) we are the same as you bron, with 3 kids. we have 2 washing lines  :D

LOL - at our class all the Aussies dashed for the washing machines in the villa when they arrived - one said they were told by Engish friends that we wash too much (sounds like you must too bron  ;) ;) ) and that the baby would have no skin they number of times it had a bath  ;D ;D ;D

I have my third load of washing ready for before we leave here - one pommie is just wearing the same clothes once a week - but leaves them to allow the smell to dissipate and so had 7 sets of everything  :-\ :-\ :o

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:51 am »
I just used cloudy ammonia from the cleaning aisle of the supermarket.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:17 am »
One other thing Bron, is sunlight soap the same thing as velvet soap and could you use lux flakes instead as it is pure soap also? Thanks Sandy

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:31 am »
Hi Sandy, I have googled your question and in detergent making they say use Sunlight or Velvet so that answers the first part of your question.  As far as the flakes are concerned, I'm not sure - another Aussie may know the answer to that one before Bron wakes up.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 05:20:23 am »
Thanks Judydawn. I have just made up some using the sunlight soap. A little word of warning!!!!!!  Mine made up to about 3 litres, so when I was putting it into a 2 lt. container I put the cup of ammonia in before I filled it up with soap so had to use a bit more ammonia in another container.  I`ll see how it turns out. Has anyone said how much to use in a front loader yet?

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 05:46:05 am »
No they haven't said Sandy.  I used a good 1/2 cup in my top loader - it didn't make soap bubbles but it did a good job so must have been enough.  That's what Bron uses too.  I'd use the same in the front loader, maybe a bit less. 

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:07 am »
The flakes are fine too! Probably better, well quicker by 30 seconds I should say, as you won't have to blitz then as long! ;)
Here there are flakes too, but they work out 20 cents more expensive!!!!! :D :D :D So I bought the bars! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 03:56:01 am »
Well I tried mine this morning and used about a gloop of it as it is very thick, could just about cut it, but it did a good job on the washing. Even got some beetroot stains out of one of my tops.  Am waiting to see if it makes the towels as stiff as the other stuff without putting them in the dryer. Will keep you informed. Sandy

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 04:51:40 am »
I have to ask before I make this...and I am dying to make it and try lol

Has anyone tried it in a front loading machine yet or can anyone tell me if it gets really sudsy in a top loading machine (hope you know what I mean!)

Don't think I could deal with all the suds and the time it takes to clean it up if it went wrong in my machine  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 06:53:03 am »
No, 1/2 cup in my top loader didn't go sudsy.  In the 'old days' powders used to soap up but even they don't do that when you use the recommended quantity.  I used to equate suds with a cleaner wash but don't think that is the case nowadays.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 02:18:32 am »
I have to ask before I make this...and I am dying to make it and try lol

Has anyone tried it in a front loading machine yet or can anyone tell me if it gets really sudsy in a top loading machine (hope you know what I mean!)

Don't think I could deal with all the suds and the time it takes to clean it up if it went wrong in my machine  ;D

It should be fine as it doesnt seem to make suds, I would put in a a ball thing and throw it in with the clothes. I found one today at the supermarket, cost me 60 cents. DH laughed as he said the plastic ball costs more than 4 litres of soap!!!! True!
Everything washes lovely and has a lovely smell. I am very happy with it, seems to be a bit thick but guess that doesn't matter. Maybe if its left for long it would go a bit goooey, but I guess you could just blitz it up again with a little more water ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:04 am »
Thanks everyone....if it doesn't go sudsy then I am in!!  I haven't used sudsy detergents for years even when I had a toploader as I always used the concentrates.  Now to find a container to hold it when it is made...life presents such challenges lol

I will add a post and confirm how I went with the front loader  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 10:37:37 am »
I am keen to hear how it goes in a front loader, too.
I know  not to use anything that foams up in it, lest it bugger up the works.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 02:24:54 am »
Well I tried mine this morning and used about a gloop of it as it is very thick, could just about cut it, but it did a good job on the washing. Even got some beetroot stains out of one of my tops.  Am waiting to see if it makes the towels as stiff as the other stuff without putting them in the dryer. Will keep you informed. Sandy

How did the towels come out Sandy? I always tumble mine, so they are always soft! I live right on the beach, and so humidity is really high here, so even in summer can't be without my tumble drier! ;D
Amanda

Spain