Author Topic: Deoderant  (Read 10665 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Deoderant
« on: November 20, 2011, 08:29:08 am »
The recipe for the deodorant: as given to me by a TMX firend could easily be made using TMX.  She uses lavender oil for herself and eucalyptus for hubby.
* Place 5 tablespoons of coconut oil (unrefined from natural food store) in a pot and liquify over low-medium heat.  This happens very quickly.
* Remove from heat and add other ingredients.
* Add 1/4 cup of corn starch
* Add 1/4 cup of baking soda
* Stir continuously until smooth
*Add essential oils drop by drop until desired scent is reached
* Pour into a 4 oz canning jar. 
*Leave lid off until cool.  Re-stir once cooled, as essential oils sometimes float to the top. Can refrigerate for a couple days to solidify.   
We eventually just left our jar in the bathroom and it turned into a paste.  How to apply it?  Dab a little on your finger from the jar and apply.  I generally let my pits dry before getting dressed.
(We a few drops of each of these oils: bergamot, lavender, rosemary, and sweet orange.  It smells a little bit like Tom’s of Maine “unscented” deodorant)
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Deoderant
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:24:26 am »
Gosh you could make yourself smell how ever you wanted. Somedays you could smell like a rose and others like lavender.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:38 am »
cookie, I madly rushed and put this on only to find JD beat me (as usual). I haven't tried this yet but the lady that gave me the recipe says its very good. She has made it for her hubby and he got her to make it for all the boys at work because it was so efficient.  So it sounds like it is worth a go!
Denise

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:08:38 am »
I have tried this today,  and I like it.  It did separate over night so I heated it for 10 seconds in the microwave to semi liquid and stirred it around.  I also added a few more drops of perfume.  This is a keeper.  Thanks to all who contributed.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:35:11 am »
Just made this. Living in the tropics I think I'll be able to put this in an old roll on container and use it from there. It won't solidify again until at least April. Thanks so much for posting. I have been using my DH deodorant for a couple of days now and was just wondering what brand I'm going to buy.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline the_vermins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »
I've been using this recipe for the last 6 months and I LOVE it! Even on seriously hot days (and we get some doozy's here in the mid west of wa) I am sweaty and have an odour, but nothing offensive.

Doesn't need any essential oil and I find if it solidifies, I just push my finger down to the bottom and then kind of loosen one bit to mix up again, if that makes sense?  Tis a winner in my eyes.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:45 am »
Is cornstarch the same as cornflour or something different?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:34 am »
Is cornstarch the same as cornflour or something different?

Yes these are the same but 'corn flour', is sometimes made from wheat and not corn.   You can also use Arrowroot.

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:39:42 pm »
Wow, will need to give this a go for DH. Poor fella, suffers from body odour no matter how hard he tries, and all the commercial products he can use only once or twice, then complains they give him lumps in the armpits. Has even tried the natural crystal block which he says does the same, so I have been at a loss where to go from there, as I thought that was the most natural thing to try.