Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5206918 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #6345 on: November 02, 2012, 12:46:10 am »
Yes MF - very proud of him.  I am determined that once they are ready to leave home, they will have the skills needed to run their own home.  I could  not have planned and cooked a meal when I was 5

Judy, he already fights me for the TMX  :D  I read out the recipe to him, and he knows how to press all the buttons to programme it.  Not surprising, desserts and cakes are his favourite ......

Now all I have to teach him is that cleaning up is part of cooking  :-))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:47:54 am by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:47 am »
Yes they seem to forget that part of it but it is part and parcel of cooking.  Love to the 2 boys  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:15 am »
My Daughter loves cooking with me.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Mama Fergie

« Reply #6348 on: November 02, 2012, 01:01:06 am »
I have to say Karen that all my kids left home with good cooking skills but sadly my boys never learned how to clean up the kitchen.  :-))

Funny how how the girls learned both  ;)

Maybe it's because my DH is exactly the same but without the cooking skills LOL

He manages to leave the kitchen like a bomb site after making toast. Nothing gets put away.

Maybe your little one will be different when he grows up  :D But at least he will be able to cook

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:06 am »
That's great Karen. neither of my kids really have any interest in cooking and it's a real chore to get them to do anything, it's such a shame when I love it so much.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: November 02, 2012, 02:43:13 am »
How cute Karen he might become a little masterchef

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: November 02, 2012, 03:03:24 am »
Karen, how lovely that DS is interested in cooking! He must take after his mum ;) Good luck teaching him how to clean up though. The most sophisticated meal my brother could manage at 18 was a peanut butter sandwich and he couldn't even wipe the crumbs off the bench after making that :-))

I can't decide what to put on the pizzas tonight ???

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: November 02, 2012, 03:04:08 am »
There is plenty of time Wonder - when I left home I couldnt cook a proper meal at all, although I could bake a cake or biscuits.  I had to "learn on the job".  Necessity is the mother of invention, isnt that the saying??   Those AWW cookbooks were a god-send!  I am sure they will develop an interest in cooking sooner or later, with you as a role model, how could they not ..... but until then, at least you are still in control of your own kitchen  ;D ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: November 02, 2012, 03:11:30 am »
I have friends that are my age, and can't cook more than 1 or 2 meals. :)
They can't bake at all..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: November 02, 2012, 03:11:57 am »
Amy, it started when our next-door-neighbour (who volunters in an op shop) brought home a book she found called "Cooking with Kids" put out by the SA government back in the early 1980's, with a whole heap of simple, healthy recipes for kids, laid out in a kid-friendly format, step by step with pictures, so that they can follow them even if they cant read.  He sits and pores over the book, planning his next creation.

We also play "hunting" games at the supermarket or F&V shop, where I tell him an ingredient and he has to hunt it down for me.  He's got really good at recognising his vegetables from that game.

Better watch out - I may soon have competition for space on the recipe book shelf  ;D ;D ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:09 am »
Wow Karen that's amazing for a 5 year old.  How wonderful that he has an interest in food and cooking.
You and your DH are certainly raising two great boys there  :D

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

• View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: November 02, 2012, 04:29:35 am »
I agree with Katie, that is amazing for his age Karen! :o I love the sound of that game, he must know a lot of foods that most other kids his age don't! ;)

What a little cooking superstar you have ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:45 am »
Karen, wow, that is fantastic.  Cp couldnt do  that.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

mcmich

« Reply #6358 on: November 02, 2012, 06:11:38 am »
Amy, it started when our next-door-neighbour (who volunters in an op shop) brought home a book she found called "Cooking with Kids" put out by the SA government back in the early 1980's, with a whole heap of simple, healthy recipes for kids, laid out in a kid-friendly format, step by step with pictures, so that they can follow them even if they cant read.  He sits and pores over the book, planning his next creation.

We also play "hunting" games at the supermarket or F&V shop, where I tell him an ingredient and he has to hunt it down for me.  He's got really good at recognising his vegetables from that game.

Better watch out - I may soon have competition for space on the recipe book shelf  ;D ;D ;D

That's great Karen. He will likely be an early reader too. Start to recognise the labels at the supermarket.

• View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: November 02, 2012, 11:05:43 am »
Pizza!!! :D

Tomato sauce, bacon and mozzarella, baked for 10 mins, added diced fresh tomato and avocado, sprinkled with a little more mozzarella and put back in the oven to melt cheese. Mum loved this one ;D
Other pizza is just tuna, fresh corn, tomato and mozzarella :)