Author Topic: thermo server where to buy locally (test result)  (Read 54020 times)

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
thermo server where to buy locally (test result)
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
Wow what a response. Thanks to you all who looked at my post.  Nicola your version the Vinod, looks really nice, and more like the thermoserver. The one I trialed looked more like the picture that Cornish cream posted, that was from the UK. My test results, were:  at 6.10pm I boiled the kettle with 2L water and put 1L into each pot and used a jam making thermometer to test the temp of the water. The thermoserver read 90deg and the Indian pot 89deg. At 8.00pm  the thermoserver 54deg, the Indian 68deg. At 9.25pm  thermoserver 40 deg and Indian 54deg. I had to make a visit to the toilet at 1am. so thought I would do a test then and the thermoserver 28deg and the Indian 40 deg. I took the thermometer back to 0 in between testing each pot  by plunging it into cold water, to make sure each started at the same point.   The Indian pot certainly retained the heat for longer.
Then the next day I did a test for the cold. At 5.35 pm  I made a batch of fruity dream from the ED cook book and put 1/2 in each pot, and tested both at 6.35pm and 7.40pm  these were tested by taste and not thermometer, and by 7.40pm the batch in the Indian pot certainly tasted cooler than the batch in the thermoserver. Although they had both retained their shape. 
I just thought if doing a dinner party I may need more than one thermoserver, and there are only so many demos you can host to  get an extra thermoserver. Hope this maybe of help to you. Yes I think most indian grocery stores would sell these pots. Cheers.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: thermo server where to buy locally (test result)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:21 am »
Great little test PP, thanks for doing that - so our dearly loved thermosaver is not as good as we thought it was  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
I don't think Thermomix HO will be thanking you for your testing and reporting! I certainly wouldn't have had a demo if I could have bought a thermoserve cheaply elsewhere.  Great work Pumpkin Pie!!!  ;D

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:40:49 am »
Pumpkin Pie, what is this Indian Pot you tested? Do you have a link? I am very interested.  :)

Offline zarbos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:47:33 am »
I'm going to be following this thread with interest. Thermomix head office makes such a big deal about everything, so it's nice that they don't have a monopoly on this.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:06:30 am »
Great report!
Are you able to take a pic of the one you've got?
What size? Brand? Think I'll be popping to one of the local indian stores soon.

Offline marnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »
The one that I purchased at the Indian kitchen store in Toronto, Ontario was called "Kitchen Sense stainless steel hot pot".  It is from the Ashridge Trading Company--www.ashridgetrading.com--am just trying it to-day, although the store clerk told me that they do work for keeping things hot, they were not to be used for cooking.  Marnie

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »
Big thanks to Marnie for giving me a heads-up on this thread. :-* (I rarely have time to visit here, and I would have missed this important info, had it not been for Marnie.)

And great big thanks to Pumkin Pie for your thorough testing.  :-*

I have been searching for a more accessible Thermo Server since I got the Thermomix in 2009. I scoured the internet and could never find a suitable option that was available to us 'home cooks'. I found some similar products for restaurant use, but they were not cheap, nor easy to order by non-restaurateurs.

Marnie's findings at Ikea and at the Indian shop offer some great options, as does the tip about the UK source. I have added this info to the Thermo Server page on my blog at:
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2010/4436/what-is-thermomix-thermoserver.html

Though I am not a consultant and do not work for the company, I want to say here that I think the Thermo Server is really a superior product. Its design is clean and simple, 8) and it stores easily. It is lightweight and easy to clean. I have tried to find something truly equal and haven't yet.  :-[ There is a promotion on this month (February 2011) for those in Australia who host a demo and the incentive is the Thermo Server -- (or even TWO --not sure exactly what the rules are). If anyone in Oz doesn't yet have a Thermo Server, I suggest this is a good time to host a demo. ( juss sayin' ...  ;) )

Thanks everyone, for this really helpful thread!
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:45:19 am »
Helene the promotion this month is when you purchase your TM you get two thermoservers when you host your demo. You get one thermoserver as standard when you purchase at any time and host a demo. If you are an owner and you host a demo in Feb with a minimum of three guests from different households you can purchase a blue TM carry bag for $70 or if someone purchases at the demo you can buy it for $40.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 03:36:10 am »
How much do the blue bags normally cost?  :)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:37 am »
Chelsea they are a promo bag so not a normal stock line. The standard carry bag is black and is $120. It looks exactly the same as the black bag in terms if pockets compartments etc just blue.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:45:25 am »
Aw gee. I like the blue bag better. It would match the van. My black bag has been very useful and I'd hate to be without it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »
The one that I purchased at the Indian kitchen store in Toronto, Ontario was called "Kitchen Sense stainless steel hot pot".  It is from the Ashridge Trading Company--www.ashridgetrading.com--am just trying it to-day, although the store clerk told me that they do work for keeping things hot, they were not to be used for cooking.  Marnie

Thank you for the link Marnie. The store looks interesting  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:30:16 am by Tebasile »
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline frans

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:20:36 pm »
May I suggest the dreampot It is sold from Queensland they come in 3 different sizes 3 ltr,5 ltr and 6 ltr. They are not cheap but work extremely well. I have the 3 ltr and the 6ltr. and i am very happy with them. Basically they are passive cookers. You can take them to the beach on a boat anywhere. They cook whilst you travel or keep cold as well. Look it up on the net you will get all the info. Frans.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:26 am »
Chelsea they are a promo bag so not a normal stock line. The standard carry bag is black and is $120. It looks exactly the same as the black bag in terms if pockets compartments etc just blue.

Thanks Meagan.  :)