Author Topic: Almond and Mandarine cake  (Read 15818 times)

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
Almond and Mandarine cake
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:34 am »
Almond Mandarine cake
Gluten free
Serves 6 to 8 people.

Ingredients
3 large mandarines (do not peel)
4 large eggs (800gm)
190 grams sugar
200 grams ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free)

Method
Pre-heat oven to 180´.
Place 1000gm of water into TM bowl, add simmering basket with  the three whole mandarines inside.
Set to Varoma for 30 minutes at speed 2.
When finished discard liquid and set mandarines aside to cool.
Remove pips and discard.
Return mandarines to TM bowl, including skins, and puree on speed 9 for 10 to 12 seconds or until smooth. Set aside then clean and dry the bowl.
Put the 4 eggs and sugar into bowl, add the butterfly and blend for 1 minute, speed 4 with the MC off.
Remove butterfly and add the mandarine puree the ground almonds and the baking powder. Mix on speed 4 for 10 seconds.
Pour into a greased and lined 20cm cake tin, bake for 1 hour or until a cake skewer comes out clean.

Nice with a dollop of homemade yoghurt.

Note. The cake will sink slightly in centre as it cools.

members' comments

korrick - This is lovely recipe - much the same as orange and almond cake, but a little different. It is very moist and rises well. I baked it in a 20cm ring tin so the cooking time was reduced to 50 mins. I will definitely make this again as it was very easy, apart from the time it took to cook and cool the mandarines. Thanks for the recipe.

Cuilidh - Did the mandarins in the microwave - 4 minutes and they were done.  The cake is delicious and so very easy to make.

bellar82 - Easy and yummy cake. Thanks for a yummy recipe. I think this would work with most citrus fruit..... will have to try it out with lemons and oranges next time.

ES - This cake was really easy- I ground my own nuts and cooked the mandarins in the microwave. I cooked the cake in a bundt tin, but had trouble getting the cake out of the tin in one piece. It broke apart, but I patched it up, slathered it with cream and added a few sugar flowers. Next time I will use a round tin and line it with baking paper. It was nice and moist with a distinctive mandarin flavour. It was slighter bitter though as the whole fruit was used, but I sweetened the cream slightly and that made a nice counter balance. I took it to a friend's birthday dinner and everyone enjoyed it - even the kids.

Thermesa - Mine also didn't like exiting the bundt tin (perhaps too warm). It certainly is yummy and I enjoyed the smell of the mandarins cooking while I did my evening chores.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:26:21 am by judydawn »
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline korrick

• View Profile
Re: Almond and Mandarine cake
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
This is lovely recipe - much the same as orange and almond cake, but a little different. It is very moist and rises well. I baked it in a ring tin so the cooking time was reduced to 50 mins. I will definitely make this again as it was very easy, apart from the time it took to cook and cool the mandarines. Thanks for the recipe. :)
Cooking is fun again with my TMX!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »
korrick, what size is ur ring tin. thanks  :-*
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »
This sounds delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »
How did I miss this one? I have some mandarines  leftover that my kids won't eat on their own- they go through phases. One minute they love mandarines so you go out and buy them again and then they don't touch them! Drives me nuts- happens with lots of things. Anyone have the same experience with young kids?
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
Made this yesterday.  Did the mandarins in the microwave - 4 minutes and they were done.  The cake is delicious and so very easy to make.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:31 am »
Merlin - mine do exactly the same - but it doesn't take days.  They can ask for something, and in the time it takes me to get it out of the fridge/cupboard, they decide they don't want it  >:(

DH and I end up eating lots of their "reject" food.  Not good for our waistlines either.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:33:55 am »
Don't worry- mine often take milliseconds to change their minds but I just tell them it's not a restaurant and once they make their mind up that's what they get! 
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline bellar82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:02 am »
Easy and yummy cake  :) Thanks for a yummy recipe. I think this would work with most citrus fruit..... will have to try it out with lemons and oranges next time

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:13 am »
Don't know about lemons might be just a bit tooo sour, but, you never know.
Oranges work out fine though, have made it with just two medium sized ones.
    Let me know if you try the lemons you may have come up with a great taste sensation.
Lucyluu

Offline korrick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:00 am »
Hi fundj, sorry for the delay - I should check posts more regularly! The ring tin size is 20cm. Hope this helps.
Cooking is fun again with my TMX!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:07 am »
thanks  korrick it does help

ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 01:40:50 am »
Just bumping this. Plenty of mandarines about at the moment so I made this on the weekend, very nice.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:21:08 am »
sounds yummy, plenty of mandarins at the moment.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »
This cake was really easy- I ground my own nuts and cooked the mandarins in the microwave. I cooked the cake in a bundt tin, but had trouble getting the cake out of the tin in one piece. It broke apart, but I patched it up, slathered it with cream and added a few sugar flowers. Next time I will use a round tin and line it with baking paper :)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous