Author Topic: Dangers of buying TMX overseas (if in Aussieland)  (Read 12767 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Dangers of buying TMX overseas (if in Aussieland)
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:09:01 am »
I received a document explaining the dangers of buying a TMX overseas from Thermomix Aust. Consider the following if you are contemplating buying off ebay or similar. (I have the original doc that I can email you but the file was too large to attach on here.)  ;)

Points to be aware of if purchasing machines sourced from overseas:
• Is the overseas supplier reliable? There is always a risk. Remember that Thermomix in Australia
sales are covered by the Fair Trading Act and we will abide by these regulations.
• Customers may still be responsible for GST if properly declared.
• Non Australian machines do not come with an Australian plug and lead and modifications
may be required. This should only be done by a qualified electrician.
• Non Thermomix in Australia Customers will not be entitled to receive a Delivery Demo from an
Australian Consultant (at no cost) or receive assistance/advice if needed.
• Non Thermomix in Australia Customers will not be eligible to receive the Host Incentives for
Delivery Demos such as a free ThermoServer or any additional rewards such as ½ price
Bowl and Blade Set that are offered from time to time on purchases.
• Non Thermomix in Australia Customers will not recieve a complimentary Australian Cookbook.
• Non Thermomix in Australia Customers may not receive an Instruction Manual in their native
language or at all.
When buying from overseas, customers should be aware they are responsible for the freight
and insurance costs. While Thermomix in Australia ship in large volumes on pallets and in
containers there are few problems with shipping. Shipping individually could result in situations
such as the following (see picture below). The total responsibility and cost for repairs is on the
purchaser if they buy from overseas. Even if insured the customer will need to arrange to have
the Thermomix sent to Thermomix in Australia and the transport costs and repairs will be the
customer’s responsibility.
Service and Repairs
Thermomix in Australia repair machines in Australia on the following basis:

• Thermomix in Australia reserves the right not to carry out repairs on machines that have been
purchased directly from overseas or on eBay where they are sourced from overseas.
• Warranty Terms & Conditions only apply to purchases made directly from Thermomix in
Australia. Owners may be required to send their machine back to its original point of
purchase for repair.
• Priority for all repairs will always be given to customers who have purchased from Thermomix
in Australia.
• The Thermomix in Australia warranty is not transferable.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Dangers of buying TMX overseas (if in Aussieland)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:59:43 pm »
Thanks Nay Nay - had planned on posting this soon  :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »
I would imagine that the freight would be such a killer, you wouldn't want to buy a machine overseas anyway! :o
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:00 am »
Yeah - not much of saving if you have no warranty and it is damaged in transit. :-\

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:22:12 am »
Thanks Nay-Nay.  TMXBlogger Helene has something on her site about why it is best to buy new, too
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:16 pm »
i have no idea why anyone would want to buy a thermomix internationally?? most countries sell them and have their network of consultants and if its cost like mj said the freight would be hugely expensive and it would probably get damaged in transit anyway!

people used to search stuff overseas as it was much cheaper but now postage costs are though the roof nobody bothers anymore!

we have a problem in france at the moment of people also selling on ebay but asking for a deposit and them never getting their machine..a big scam so vorwerk france has put up a notice on their website warning people about buying elsewhere and stating that vorwerk never sell on the internet only by their network of consultants!!  seems to be an international problem!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:55 am »
An aquaintance of mine was convinced he could buy a TMX cheaper on ebay. I told him he had high hopes!! I'd better warn him. Thanks Frozzie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:40:46 am »
no prob cookie...hope your aquaintance gets warned in time...i know its very expensive but the support and follow up when you purchase it directly definately is a great help and if you did actually find someone selling one cheaper most likely second hand..i would wonder why they would be selling it ie is there a big problem with it etc etc...i think there is always a huge risk trying to buy an expensive product cheaper elsewhere.especially new and when the price is usually too good to be true and usually is..dont you agree?

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline bingggo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »
Thermomix in Australia repair machines in Australia on the following basis:
• Thermomix in Australia reserves the right not to carry out repairs on machines that have been
purchased directly from overseas or on eBay where they are sourced from overseas.
• Warranty Terms & Conditions only apply to purchases made directly from Thermomix in
Australia. Owners may be required to send their machine back to its original point of
purchase for repair.
• Priority for all repairs will always be given to customers who have purchased from Thermomix
in Australia.

Hi folks,

Long time reader :)

In theory, this suggests Thermomix may repair overseas models if the repairs are paid for? But I gather Thermomix in practice won't repair at all?

Regards,
Bing

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:27:20 am »
Having made significant savings by buying and importing a Miele washing machine from the UK a year ago, I can certainly understand how people would be tempted to purchase a TMX overseas, as with the exchange rate continuing to appreciate, the price elsewhere is certainly better. However, when I considered whether I would do it for a new TMX, the savings (after freight, customs, etc) were at best $300-400, an amount I didn't consider worth voiding the warranty for, so I purchased here in Australia.

Interesting, I recently had to have my HTC phone repaired under warranty. I bought it unlocked via the internet from a non-Australian distributor, as it was significantly cheaper than buying the same thing here in Australia (but it would have been locked to a service provider here). When it needed repair, HTC required me to send it to Singapore. In all, the warranty repair cost me $AU150, in terms of freight, handling fee, bank fees, etc. So, in essence, I have now paid about the same price that I would have paid if I had purchased the phone in Australia (but then would have paid to get unlocked on top of that).

Won't stop me buying from the global marketplace via the net again, but it's worth knowing the pros and cons of each purchase.

I do think it would be a positive PR exercise for Thermomix Australia to acknowledge the accelerating value of the dollar against the Euro and consider adjusting their prices a little in honour of that.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline bingggo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:33:29 am »
I think the TM31 has actually gone up a bit in recent years in Australia - read it was $1870 or something a couple of years back...