Author Topic: Why did you choose your forum name plus photos of our kitchens  (Read 503724 times)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
Re: Why did you choose your forum name plus photos of our kitchens
« Reply #1020 on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »
Very nice cellar Stef.

Katie Missie is gorgeous, certainly has a good life with a bed on the couch.

Tnx michelle.. It is z good exta storage room but also a pain in th....   Since with heavy rain water comes in through the ventilating window...   Been struggling for 20 years to fnd a way to keep water out....
Having said that... I do can a lot.. I have canned potatoes, tomatoes, home made ketchup, pickalilly, rattatouille, meat stews, tomato paste... All home made .. Lasts for ages and costs almost nothing.l the cellar is dark and cool and helps me keep the food for a long time..  Living proof we do not need additves, flavor enhancers, msg, soy lecitine, aroma and so on in our food.. I even can CAKES and they keep for two years easily..l.  In fact i have a star chef that HATES cake, but tasted mine and had seconds,,
Live life to the fullest

mcmich

« Reply #1021 on: August 11, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »
I noticed you had some nice and unusually shaped shaped jars too.
How do you can a cake Stef?

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1022 on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:32 pm »
I noticed you had some nice and unusually shaped shaped jars too.
How do you can a cake Stef?

Míchelle, actually it is quite easy.. Make your quatre quart batter (basic  250 gr butter, 250 gr flower, 250 gr sugar, 4 eggs, a bit of salt and some vanilla) and then you can the raw dough to,the stage it gets to a cake cnsistency ...  If you.like i will make a complete recipe to make this in the future.... 

This cake stays good for ages.. As a matter of fact last one i took out of the cellar was almost 18 months old and still had a nice fresh and moist taste..  It has been copied in coffee houses in my region!
Live life to the fullest

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
    • Journal of a French Foodie
« Reply #1023 on: August 11, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »
Sorry to catch the conversation half way through but I am intrigued by your quatre quart recipe Steph (welll, the keeping in the jar bit). Do you cook the dough in the jar? So you soak it in alcohol to keep it or you sterilise the pot?
An apple a day keeps the doctor away... provided you aim correctly.

http://www.journalofafrenchfoodie.com

mcmich

« Reply #1024 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
I love the quarter recipe. An easy one to do do off the top of your head.
I don't know that I would can a cake, actually I don't can anything. But i will give the cake a go as it sounds easy and I'll remeber it.
Do post the recipe please Stef as maybe I would give it a go. I will have to get peserving jar.

Is Stef for anything? My brother is a Stef - short for Stefan.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1025 on: August 11, 2012, 10:11:56 pm »
I don't know that I would can a cake, actually I don't can anything. But i will give the cake a go as it sounds easy and I'll remember it.
Do post the recipe please Stef as maybe I would give it a go. I will have to get preserving jar.

Sorry to catch the conversation half way through but I am intrigued by your quatre quart recipe Stef (well, the keeping in the jar bit). Do you cook the dough in the jar? So you soak it in alcohol to keep it or you sterilise the pot?

well .. i can the cake, because i have a food allergy .. and by canning a big amount of cakes ( i do 14 jars in one batch) i always have a nice fresh cake in the house for unexpected visit.. since i never can buy factory bought cookies or whatever.....

so the recipe i will post somewhere in the future, but the principle is that you can the cakes, filling the jars only for about 1/3 of the volume.. then sterilising them creates a vacuum and helps the cake to raise...    while being cooked at 100 ° Celsius in a closed environment, it keeps all moisture, all flavors.... it is just a treat!  the sunroom builders, that constructed my kitchen extention came back for it lol ..  hahahaa.. i had a blast.. 3 young fit guys came back after the sun room was finished just to have  another slice of my (what they called) SUPER cake  lol
Live life to the fullest

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »
We will definitely be coming to your place on our trip Stef.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1027 on: August 11, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »
We will definitely be coming to your place on our trip Stef.

Gert

cant wait to meet you all !

i so love this forum and the way it works.. .and i do know this cake (though not a thermie recipe) is  a gold medal one...  half of my cooking books got sold only because people wanted to try thhis ;)
Live life to the fullest

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 11, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »
Stef I love your kitchen, and that's a wonderful way to have fresh cake in the house.

You obviously have a pressure canner to do your meats and low acid vegetables, but do you just can the cake mixture in a water bath or do you use the pressure canner.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1029 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »
I don't know that I would can a cake, actually I don't can anything. But i will give the cake a go as it sounds easy and I'll remeber it.
Do post the recipe please Stef as maybe I would give it a go. I will have to get peserving jar.

my birth name is stefaan   ....  but i hate my christian name .....  and i have a MD in theology... being gay i  chose not to be a part anymore of a faith that hates gay people and a catholic church that protects pedofiles  ..   so now i go by stef..  
Live life to the fullest

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1030 on: August 11, 2012, 10:35:12 pm »
Stef I love your kitchen, and that's a wonderful way to have fresh cake in the house.

You obviously have a pressure canner to do your meats and low acid vegetables, but do you just can the cake mixture in a water bath or do you use the pressure canner.

i just use a regular canner ..   put in all ingredients cold, i can up to 21 jars at the time, depending on the size.. for the cake .. i use a water bath and fill the jars less than half and sterilize them for 1 hour (counting from 100 ° celsius°
Live life to the fullest

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1031 on: August 11, 2012, 10:37:35 pm »

i just use a regular canner ..   put in all ingredients cold, i can up to 21 jars at the time, depending on the size.. for the cake .. i use a water bath and fill the jars less than half and sterilize them for 1 hour (counting from 100 ° celsius°

i have a high pressure canner, but i never use it lol .. all of my preservers go through the normal canner...   even chicken stays good for two years and longer...  i have one bad jar on 250
Live life to the fullest

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »
Oh that's so interesting.  I thought you had to use the high pressure canner for meats.  Thankyou for sharing that Stef.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 11, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »
my birth name is stefaan   ....  but i hate my christian name .....  and i have a MD in theology... being gay i  chose not to be a part anymore of a faith that hates gay people and a catholic church that protects pedofiles  ..   so now i go by stef..   

I admire your stance Stef, the whole situation, on both of your counts, needs serious review and, with your academic and religious background, you obviously have very strong feelings on this.

My next questions is .... how do you get the cake out of the preserving jar without wrecking it?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #1034 on: August 12, 2012, 07:21:32 am »

My next questions is .... how do you get the cake out of the preserving jar without wrecking it?

Thzt is easy, i coat the inside of the jar with butter and then i dust it with almond powder (powdered in the Wiz ofcourse), but i make sure the edges are completely grease and almond free to make sure the sealing is ok when canning...  I open the jar and apply one short shake (my jars are slightly conic) and it just comes out!
Live life to the fullest