Author Topic: Thermochef...  (Read 109427 times)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: Thermochef...
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
Starting to see more and more appliances on the market capitalising on the individual components of the TMX. Just this last week I've seen a soup maker and a hot and cold blender which chops, blends and cooks. Think we going to see a lot more before they're finished.

Offline elleandsam

• View Profile
    • Instinctive Parenting
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:59 pm »
I saw the same thing, it looked like it would only really be good for soups so I can't imagine it being very useful.
Married young mum of 2 living the dream in Townsville, Australia.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:12 am »
Yes, I saw the Soup Blender in an advert in a food mag. Pretty basic and not much good for anything else much.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Therminator

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 04:40:08 am »
I have gone to check out the Thermochef which is now for sale at Habitat.  While the Thermochef may greatly mimic TMX in appearance, there are glaringly obvious differences that perhaps someone who doesn't own a TMX would not notice.   I have a TMX and am totally in love with it.

I spent a bit of time reading through the Thermochef manual (went back twice just to satisfy my curiosity).  The manager at Habitat was also interested in learning the differences between the two.  The Thermochef demonstrator lady is going to the store next week to do a  demo for her and the staff.  The Thermochef demonstrator had told the the manager that the TMX is made in Switzerland!!!

This is what I discovered.

1.  The plastic looks cheap and far less robust.  The manual/recipe book has been poorly translated from spanish and states the lid, butterfly and spatula are made from "highly qualified materials".  There does not appear to be any foodsafe symbols either.

2.  The are not many recipes in the recipe section, say maybe 50.  In the bread, pastry and cakes section, there is not one bread recipe.  The closest to a bread recipe would be pizza dough.   There is a video on you tube which shows the recipe book and states the book has over 200 recipes,  the visual is all in Spanish. 

3.  The slowest speed of the blade is 100rpm (TMX is 40rpm),  the fastest speed is 8700rpm (TMX 10200rpm).  There is no information in the manual what kind of motor the Thermochef has.  As there is no reverse function I would have to actually see what the result of say, a basic chicken curry would turn out like.  The blade is similar in appearance but noticeably poorer quality and smaller.

4.  Using the Thermochef requires a lot more button pushing than the TMX.  Setting the timer is the same.  To set the temperature, you need to press the temp symbol, then push the plus (+) button repeatedly until you get to the desired temperature.  To select the speed, select the relevant symbol, the repeatedly push the plus (+) button until you get to the desired speed.  Not sure how well this would work with really short processes like chopping onion etc.

5.  There are no instructions for converting your own recipes. The cord is not retractable.

6.  For people who want to mill their own grains I am not sure if the Thermochef is capable of doing this, as there are no recipes in the book.

7.  The seal is attached to the lid and is made out of some sort of rubber.  So if anything happens to the rubber, you would have to get a new lid.  The TMX has a removable seal which can be replaced at a cost of about $20.

Anyway, for those of you contemplating a purchase of one sort or another hope this info is helpful.  Obviously the price difference between the two is the major factor.  If you are expecting that the Thermochef is capable of doing everything a Thermomix does and is as easy to use and as long lasting from what I have read in the manual,  found on the web and have the good fortune of having a Thermomix to compare it to, all I can say is "you get what you pay for".

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 05:41:56 am »
Thanks for all that info Therminator, I noticed the thermochef on the front page of the Habitat catalog as well. I would like to see it in action as well just to see the difference. I would never buy one now I have a Thermomix and know how good they are but I could understand someone else buying them if they have never really seen a Thermomix. I am just glad that I found the Thermomix before I found the Thermochef as the price of the Thermochef might of won me over first.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:35 am »
Thanks for that Therminator - very interest reading.  The homewares shop I was in the other day told me they will be selling them shortly as well.  I'll keep popping in until I see one, just for interest sake.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2011, 11:28:07 am »
Choice review for Thermomix is here

and for Thermochef is ... I did read one, will post it when I find it again  :-))

and for MyCook is here
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:44 am »
Did anyone happen to see the Thermochef demonstrated on TVSN today??
OMG.....it was better than a comedy show  ;D

The guy demonstrating it, obviously wasn't very familiar with the machine!
It started from the very beginning, when couldn't get the machine to function.  After several attempts, he realised it was on lock mode  :P
Next he fumbled with the lid on a couple of occassions, trying to get it to lock in place.....then he couldn't get the jug to release from the base  :o
He then went on to use the steamer (which BTW, only works if it's locked in).....he couldn't get that to lock into place.
By now I was even feeling uncomfortable for him (whilst giggling).
He made Anzac biscuits, and I noticed he set it for 1 minute longer than he should have......result was dough.
Everything he had pre-weighed, showed a different figure on the scales  :-\

But the show stopper was, they banged on about how wonderful the sorbet is and that sells the machine itself......Well......he couldn't get the speed right....he fumbled about and made a few attempts to get it working.......then he mutters "Bugger, I've forgotton how to do it!"   LOL!
Luckily the host was good, and she diverted attention away from it all.
He finally got it to work, but it looked like soup  :P........I think he needs a new job!

BTW, they were comparing it to another machine on the market that sells for $2000-$3000  ???  Not sure where the 3K comes into it all????

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Therminator

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
Oh dear.

I wish I could see it.  Maybe might feature on one of the morning shows eventually.  Will keep my eye out.

Thanks for sharing.  I am not afraid to admit I have a severe case of Thermomixamotsis.  I will never be cured.  I love him!!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »
Oh dear.

I wish I could see it.  Maybe might feature on one of the morning shows eventually.  Will keep my eye out.

Thanks for sharing. 

I'm thinking they won't replay it with that dude again  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 02:02:01 pm »
Can't believe they had him on the first time - has it been put on you tube yet?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 08:42:20 am »
Yay.....someone else saw it! LOL
What an embarrassment.....but it was entertaining if nothing else  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:59 pm »
hi maddy    l need a good laugh    :) did you say  it was on you tube  if so can you give me the link  thanks

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:32 am »
Sorry Nazar...it was on tvsn live.
If the company had any brains, they wouldn't have it replayed again  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Food 4 Thought

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 02:49:18 am »
Certainly are questions from potential buyers out there about this amchine.  I have had a couple this week alone.  Interesting to see what will come of it  :)
Fiona

Thermomix Consultant - Perth
www.foodfourthought.com.au