Author Topic: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  (Read 182758 times)

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »
Another really good idea Meagan. Now I have no excuse for throwing out tomato paste ever again.

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
Clearly I need a bigger freezer! I'd love to be able to do some of the things i'm learning on here. There is just not enough room :(

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
yes the the upside down jar thing really works  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline PaulaM

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:50 am »
I just made this again tonight, it is so good! I have been using around 400g of tomato passata which is brilliant.
I prefer a more saucy tomatoey style!
I just use the rest of the jar within the week to make bolognese or something similar.

I wonder whether lamb fillet would work in this sauce?

My dinner tonight was divine  :)

Oh and by the way, if you top up your tomato paste with a layer of olive oil it won't go mouldy!

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2012, 10:31:09 am »
This recipe is divine.  I made the paste and curry today. I love spicy foods and this was plenty spicy for me but I'm glad I didn't try it on the kids! Next time I make it I think I'm going to leave the chillies out in the curry. I also think there is a lot of sauce so I'll add more chicken and thinking of adding some frozen peas or potatoes. Not sure how and when the potatoes and peas will be added but being new to this machine and this being the first main meal I've made with it I'll leave experiments for later! I know this will then not be a traditional butter chicken but never mind!  ;)
I have enough paste for many more curries and we have butter chicken made and frozen for four more meals.  Fantastic!

Offline spektor

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2012, 02:46:48 am »
This was scrumptious. Best Butter chicken I have ever had, and the spiciness gave it a good kick that I enjoyed.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:34 am »
I just made the paste. I would like to make the chicken tikka masala rather than butter chicken, but have lent my Indian book to a friend. Any chance someone could PM me the recipe please?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »
Like you hopefulcook, I too have lent mine out so cannot help you out on this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »
ok, will PM to you
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 12:24:00 pm »
Just beat me to it, CP!! :D

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:50 pm »
Thank you for a great recipe! I have been on a bit of a search lately for the perfect butter chicken and I think I have found it! The edc one and a few others I have tried have been very lacking, so this is very exciting :)
FYI for those who are not chilli fans, or if you have little ones or cooking for others and not sure if they want chillis, I added NO green chillis and only the trendiest amount of dried red chillis to the tikka paste and it's very delicious still. I also doubled the amont of chicken and there is still a huge amount of sauce .

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22:54 am »
Thanks Coops.  This is great advice for me.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »
Well I made the paste as prescribed. I have made both a plain chicken tikka and then tonight I made the butter chicken (with a lot less cream). I think it is hotter than your typical butter chicken dish, however generally I don't like butter chicken because it is too bland. So I am thrilled with this paste, and thrilled with the curry too. I chopped the onion etc in TMX and then transferred to a pot on the stove so that I could use thermie to make the biryani rice from the MOM cookbook. Went down a treat with the adults, too spicy for my kids.
Has anyone come up with a better Roganjosh paste than the one from the Indian cookbook? That was not a paste as such, more the spices blended together (so none for another time...) but it was also a bit thin. That's why I love this tikka recipe, it is a real thick paste that gives the dish great body and depth of flavour. So please... Any Roganjosh help would be appreciated. I want to get to Indian banquet status!!!

Offline Stoked

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »
Oh Yum! Indian food is a fav here. I'll be trying this!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2012, 06:09:36 am »
I made this yesterday but didn't have the full quanitity of garlic or coriander but enough. Used it to make Quirky Jo's Sesame Salmon & Veges in Creamy Tikka Sauce. A yummy and healthy recipe.

Does anyone know if I can freeze it as is in a plastic rectangular container as shown? Is the extra oil needed only when storing in fridge?