Author Topic: Rich Garlic Soup (with photo)  (Read 6046 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Rich Garlic Soup (with photo)
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:54:55 am »
Name of Recipe:  Rich Garlic Soup

Number of People:  4

Ingredients:
3 bulbs garlic, separated into cloves, and roots removed
30g olive oil
1.5 litres vegetable stock
Salt, to taste
A little parsley to garnish

Preparation:
Place the garlic in the TM bowl and set to 3-6 seconds / Reverse Blade Direction / Speed 4.
Empty the bowl and discard the skins.
Dry the bowl.
Put the oil in the bowl to heat for 8 minutes / Temp Varoma / Speed 1.
Add the garlic and cook 15 Minutes / Temp Varoma /  :-:^^.
Drain off some or all of the oil.
Add the stock and set to 30 minutes, Temp. Varoma /  :-:^^.
Mix 10 seconds / Speed 5.
Check seasoning and serve, garnished with a little parsley.

Photos:  For a larger image see:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/34648965@N03/6346491167/in/photostream

Tips/Hints:  This garlic soup is quite mild and sweet, so do not be alarmed about the garlic content.

Origin:  The recipe originates from the numerous variations of French and Spanish garlic soups.  Some recipes strain off the garlic before comsumption, whilst others include poached eggs, bread or ham.  This one is just pure, unadulterated garlic soup and lends itself very well to our cold British winters.

Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
Re: Rich Garlic Soup (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
Sounds yummy, will give that a try very soon I suspect and yes my first instinct on seeing 3 bulbs of garlic was OMG will my system cope (too much garlic as a kid used to make me throw up but theses days its much better and I tend to stick 5-6 cloves into the Garlic Steamed Rice from the forum)

1.5L of Vege stock, so thats what 3 tbsp's (UK or 3 AUS tbsp's, i.e. 6 Desert Spoons?) of the TMX veg stock with 1.5L of water? (need to check my notes which aren't to hand atm)
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
I used 2 UK tablespoons Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder to 1.5 litres water, but found it to be a little too salty.  I have yet to make the TMX veg stock, but according to the recipe in Fast and Easy Cooking which came with the TMX, you use 1 heaped TEASPOON to 300-400g water so that would be about 4-5 heaped teaspoons.  I have just realised that the veg stock is made with 200g salt!!!! I like salt, but that strikes me as being OTT :o

Please don't be afraid of the garlic - if you don't like it as a soup, you can always thin it down and use as a basis for stock.

JB

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »
Thanks for the correction, knew it was some size of spoon :)

Btw what size of garlic bulbs do you use? I tend to buy large ones which are about 6.5cm wide compared to the smaller bulbs which are only 4.5cm wide.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »
I have just measured my current batch of garlic and they seem to be about half-way between, ie. 5.5-6 cm.  If I am lumbered with small ones, I would use 4 bulbs.  If you are using the TMX veg stock powder, I would be very conservative to start with otherwise it could turn out too salty.

JB