Author Topic: SHREK JUICE  (Read 29262 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: SHREK JUICE
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:30:36 am »
Nay it is even nice lightly steamed as you would silver beet  ;) It also cooks down to just about nothing if you put it in casseroles etc - oh the art of deception lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 06:27:33 am »
Wow - My kids say they are too but I have never seen the spots??  ;) Have you got to the bottom of it Chelsea?? Could it be from pesticide residue or do you only use organic??

There is a natural chemical in green veggies that some children are allergic too.  He is able to tolerate lighter colour veggies like celery, but gets spots and irritation around his mouth with spinach, silverbeet etc. It is a shame because he is only two and really loves his veggies.  Hopefully the reaction will lessen as he grows older. Not much of a drama really though compared to the challenges some parents face with food allergies. :)

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 04:55:29 am »
I have just found some kale at a local school which advertised in the local paper saying that they were having an organic growers market every fortnight from 9am-12pm. I found the freshest Ginger I have ever seen and some beautiful raw honey.
I was thinking about making some shrek juice. My kids just turned their noses up at it and I haven't even started it yet. I'll report back when I have.
I was walking around the stalls and was stopped in my tracks by..... A thermomix stall!!!!! They were making organic peach sorbets! It seemed like there was a fair bit of interest too. GO THERMOMIX!!!  ;D

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 06:16:45 am »
Ok, the verdict..... 2 out of 3 kids actually tasted it which is amazing!! DH and myself loved it. I added some of the gorgeous Ginger I bought this morning. DH said he thought lime would go well too. Yummo

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 12:02:24 am »
Thanks faffa_70. I've not been happy with my attempts of juice/smoothies and was wondering if green smoothies are just not for me.  I've always been a banana smoothie girl but in these hard economic times...  your recipe inspired me to have another go.  I love the orange lemon combo, and added some frozen berries & spinach.  Will have to start growing kale, it's the #1 nutritious food.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 12:20:58 am »
Thanks for reigniting this thread Vivaroo. I usually shudder at the thought of 'green drinks' despite knowing they are very healthy. This one looks like something I might be able to face. Will give it a try. Thanks Faffa. And also for the kale replacement tip. Much easier to get baby spinach.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
I must make this again, we have been on bit of a bender with orange, pineapple, banana and Kale as the kids love that one at the moment.  ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »
I had to grow the kale as it was not readily available. Got it growing a treat, and then the snails moved in and demolished the whole lot. Read up about kale too cos its a "superfood".
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 03:25:31 am »
For those of you based in Perth. I have bought Kale at Organic on Charles. I can't remember the address but it is in a little group of shops with an growers market.  I pass it coming off the freeway heading up Charles toward Dog Swamp. It is not as far as Cyclemania which is about 395 Charles.

I may have to grow some myself because we don't get anything exotic like Kale in our small country town.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »
yep,  have a new veggie patch now (raised) so will try again. This juice is good.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:40 am »
I've noticed kale in our local woolworths lately.

Watch the raised garden bed CP. We had our beetroot and strawberries eaten right back overnnight by caterpillars that came in from no where. We're having a real battle with them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:32 am »
If I ever saw Kale for sale in Cairns I would make Helene's Kale chips.

http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2011/10646/oven-baked-kale-chips-recipe.html

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:03 am »
I'm waiting for some more kale I planted to grow as I am dying to try kale chips!!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 09:46:20 am »
I bought Kale the other day at the Subiaco markets.  There is also a single origin diary supplier there that has a herd of Jersey cows, sells the milk in glass bottles and it has only been pasteurized. They also have very nice ice cream.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 10:19:55 am »
Where can you buy kale in Sydney? I have looked in a lot of shops  - albeit unsuccessfully!  Anywhere in the eastern or northern suburbs?