Author Topic: Challenge #4 - Lunch box Challenge, all welcome!  (Read 71234 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Challenge #4 - Lunch box Challenge, all welcome!
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »
Actually, my Mum did! And I was born in 1957! :o She was well ahead of her time. But, I didn't want a lunchbox like that, I wanted sandwiches and normal stuff.... :-))
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:34 am »
If you are seeking inspiration for luches, checkout this fascinating blog about Japanese Bento - http://www.justbento.com/

Like so many other things, the Japanese have made lunch making to an art form!  However, the ideas on that blog are simple, quick and mostly very healthy.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:32 am »
Wow, love the ideas on that site, versace!  Must try the 'chicken ham' in the TMX! hmmm...
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:35 am »
yeah I'm not sure that would work quirky... but I have made the chicken ham as described and I have to say, it was intriguing, and very more-ish!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »
Thermomixer has the following recipe steamed in the varoma dish - I reckon you could do the chicken ham using this method.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=879.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2010, 07:35:57 am »
They sure sound good - think the marinading is a great idea.  Would be interesting to try it.

Just love those bento boxes  -yum.  Don't think my mother would ever have done anything like that :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:38:15 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:03 am »
my ds has now gone off vegemite cheesybite sandwiches which leaves a choice of lettuce, tomato and cucumber sandwiches *sigh* huge choice huh.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »
Hi all.
A great book to read if you have fussy kids is "Feeding fussy kids" by Julie Maree Wood with Anotonia Kidman. ;D  She has great suggestions and recipes (loads of which are easy to convert in TM). We've made the iron booster balls and "chocoate" truffles as lunch box treats. I can post these if any one is interested in my TM version.  Also my kids are not huge sandwich fans so often go with vegetable muffins, dips and crackers, thermos food (love this in winter - soups, basil pesto through pasta and in summer I put the thermos in the freezer over night and they go with fruit salad). Another favourite which is quick and easy to prepare are egg pies, which is just sliced bread with the crusts cut off - buttered on both sides and pushed into a muffin tin.  In a bowl I mix 3 eggs and some grated cheese, some pepper and perhaps some chopped herbs (if I have them on hand).  I pour this into the bread casings in the muffin tin and cook at 180 for about 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the bread are browned/not burned and the egg mix is set.  The outside of the bread goes lovely and crunchy and the egg/cheese mix is tasty too.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:19 am »
I would love those lunch box recipes when you have a moment.  They sound great.  Do you do the vegetable muffins in the TMX too?  That would be a nice recipe to have posted too.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:40 pm »
Great idea earth mumma.  I love those bread pies.  Used to have them filled with a savoury mince at the country dances about 40 a few years ago.  Solare had a recipe on here with the same idea and radicchio, cheese, sausage
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »
Hi all.
A great book to read if you have fussy kids is "Feeding fussy kids" by Julie Maree Wood with Anotonia Kidman. ;D  She has great suggestions and recipes (loads of which are easy to convert in TM). We've made the iron booster balls and "chocoate" truffles as lunch box treats. I can post these if any one is interested in my TM version. 
I love this book - but still haven't made much of a dent in it - probably because I hired 10 books from the library, and bought 10 books from Bookfest, and continue to try things from here.....I'd get overwhelmed if cooking wasn't so much fun.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Catisa

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2010, 02:12:21 am »
Just a thought for the mums that struggle to get their child to eat lunch.

I am only offering my experience, maybe it might work for you too.

My DD at 7yr would not eat her pre-bought snacks (smith chips etc) or her fruit or lunch. Everyday was like this, she even told me that she was worried about getting fat (she is tiny), but talk around her peers started this off. I  spoke to the teacher, got Nana to talk to her, tried everything I could think of, nothing worked. UNTIL I asked her if she made her own lunch would she eat it, her answer was yes. So for the past 3 yrs DD makes her lunch and DS (yr 1).

DD wouldn't make anything different to what I gave her, except control. At one point she was only taking plain bread because she was in a hurry. After an embarrassing note from the teacher, regarding my apparent neglect. Once explained, the teacher monitored her when she ate, and gave 100% support.
Michelle
Sarcasm is just 1 of the services I offer ;-)

Offline photocat

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2010, 03:20:14 am »
Found the recipes - has anyone tried "Crunchy Rice Crackers" or "Corn Chips" from the lunch box cookbook?  And the "melted cheese dip"?

Can someone please point me in the direction of the rice cracker recipe mentioned here?  :)
http://making-cents-at-home.blogspot.com/ - My green and thrifty blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:39 am »
Pg 15 of the Lunchbox & After School Ideas recipe leaflet photocat, will pm it to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2010, 03:54:07 am »
Found the recipes - has anyone tried "Crunchy Rice Crackers" or "Corn Chips" from the lunch box cookbook?  And the "melted cheese dip"?

Can someone please point me in the direction of the rice cracker recipe mentioned here?  :)
They are from the lunch box cookbook.  I still haven't got around to trying them.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com