Author Topic: Challenge #4 - Lunch box Challenge, all welcome!  (Read 71617 times)

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
Re: Challenge #4 - Lunch box Challenge, all welcome!
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:47 am »
How old is he Buf?

I have 3 boys and the middle one I have been at a loss over the years (started in pre-school) to actually get him to eat at lunch time.  He always said he didn't have enough time.  Funny though how the sandwich never even got tasted.  Well he is 11 now and has been eating lunch everyday for a year now.  This year he is even asking for 2 sandwiches.  I'm rather relieved about this!  I have stressed for years.  I must say though that he always ate a HUGE amount for breakfast.  (up to 9 weetbix )

Point is...don't worry eventually he'll come around.  At least he is eating.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:06 am »
i don't mind my kids only wanting sandwiches - at least it is easy lOL
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 12:09:15 pm »
Mums do stress out.   Grandson,   when aged 3 to 4 would not eat any thing that had brown on it.   No toast, no chocolate etc.  Now 6 , last Monday he ate 1 green bean.  He asked his mum what day it was.  So now he says he will eat 1 green been each  Monday.   He is tall and thin but quite healthy,  so what can you do but wait.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:25 pm »
he is 5
at least he likes pasta!!  i can mix all sorts of things in with that without him noticing!
 he nearly gagged the other day when i tried to get him to taste a cherry tomato!

hes getting better but its a been a long haul and i still have to make different meals for us and the kids every night

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 05:52:43 am »
I know how you all feel - have a fussy eater 6 yr old!  Also, as a speechie, we work with kids all the time with feeding issues that stem from mild sensory issues (hyper or hypo sensitivity) and this can be there from birth and lead to reufsal of certain textures as it makes them gag or in some cases choke on a regular basis when first trying solids (or even when breast/bottle feeding) - that can quickly turn to kids refusing food due to the look or taste of the food (as they recall it making them gag or choke and can be very scary experience).  As the child gets older, it can cause lots of problems with food battles etc and make parents day-to-day life a misery, and turn into a power struggle for everyone :(
I think my DS may have have this sort of thing to a mild degree (didn't like soft, squishy foods eg. bananas,mashed potato, quiche or pasta with a sauce on), so we have tried not to get too worked up about it and continue to serve him what everyone else eats, with small portions of the non-liked food.  We go by a "try it and see" policy with no pressure and if he tries it and doesn't like it, that's ok.  As he gets older and the sensitivity issues diminish, he hopefully will try and then eat many things he wouldn't as a child.  Of course, kids can have senitivity probs to different degrees, and this tack may just not work with some kids!  :(.  It's a complex one and many many parents have the same difficulties with food for their kids..
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2010, 07:16:46 am »
My children leave at 8:00am and come home at 4:30pm. This is their typical lunchbox. Fruit, veggies, hoummus, dipping oil. Fridays is pizza day. The like to bring their own pizza, sometimes soup or pasta what I prepare in the morning.

Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2010, 08:38:00 am »
Not just for the lunch box.  I always have some roast meat left after 2 or 3 variations on the original. (sliced with gravy, cold sliced with salad) The last bit is sometimes a bit dry too so. Into the TMX, 1/2 onion in quarters wizz. the meat cut into 2-3cm cube, a dollup of mayonaise (home made of course) a dollup of tomato sauce or catchup, maybe a bit of garlic or a small pepper. Wizz the TMX check to see if it is the texture and tase you want then put it in a sealable container for great sandwitches.  I had a big batch once so I spread the mix on go-between freezer paper wrapped the stack and froze. used like meat slices to create sandwiches that stay cool for awhile.

dj

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
That looks appetising Tebasile.

Great idea for the sandwiches, home made luncheon meat, Ozzy-dj.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 12:10:59 am »
Spanish Omelete, nice and easy, and keeps well and tastes better cold!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:49 am »
How do people find time to photograph kids lunches, let alone making them every day! It amuses me that there's whole websites devoted to it. :-))
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 06:46:25 am »
I know!  That is one of the things I found most stressful about getting my kids off to school before I started homeschooling - I was always running late getting lunches done, and the bus would be waiting as we ran up the driveway...  Can't imagine taking photos of them!!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »
Just get up early enough and you are less stressed  ;)
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:03 pm »
LOL!  :D I agree you feel a little less stressed but it doesn't seem to matter how early we get up they are always running for the bus!!  :-))

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:56 am »
Oh boy - wish my mum had made those sorts of things.   :( :(  :'( :'(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.