Author Topic: Buttercream Icing  (Read 141125 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Buttercream Icing
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:53:08 am »
Buttercream Icing
Caroline Snook's foolproof recipe printed in the UK Thermomix newsletter recently.

Ingredients
250g unsalted butter, diced, soft
500g icing sugar
1 tspn real vanilla extract
Small drop of food colour paste, optional

Preparation
1. Place all ingredients into TM bowl (have bowl at room temperature, not hot from dishwasher, etc.) and blend 40 seconds, speed 4.
2. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3. Insert butterfly and whisk 1 minute, speed 3 until light, creamy and smooth.
4. Spread or pipe onto cake or cupcakes.

Variation
For chocolate buttercream, replace 50g of the icing sugar with 50g good quality cocoa powder.
For alternative flavours, use different extracts such as almond, rose or peppermint, fruit purees, juice and/or zest from lemons, limes or oranges.

Notes
This is a quick recipe that makes a generous amount and pipes really well.

members' comments

maddy - I used this buttercream for the panda cupcakes. It is quick to whip up. Just a couple of notes
Make sure the butter is really soft, or blend it in the first step for at least 1- 1 1/2 minutes before attaching butterfly.
Was a cold day here, the butterfly wouldn't whip (butter not soft enough) and made that horrid robot sound, when the attachment & blades can't spin around.
I found if you ice for the day prior, it goes hard.
It doesn't have a soft mouth feel, such as the creamy vanilla frosting or Johnro's quick buttercream by the next day.....so ideally best eaten on the day made.

Suzanne - maddy I found the same problem when putting the butterfly in so took it out whizzed some more til soft enough then popped it back in.

Obbie - I made this twice yesterday for cup cakes and birthday cakes. Turned out first go, piped easily, tasted great. I made 2 batches and will continue to make again. I had some leftover in the piping bag so kept it in the fridge and used another day on muffins so yes, you can make it ahead and bring back to room temp to use.

kmw - I made this to go on my daughter's 1st birthday cupcakes & it was great.  A few people couldn't believe we made it. It easily lasts a few days & also freezes well. We did a few test runs.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:39:53 am by judydawn »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Buttercream Icing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:39:19 pm »
I used this buttercream for the panda cupcakes
It is quick to whip up.

.....Just a couple of notes

make sure the butter is really soft, or blend it in the first step for at least 1- 1 1/2 minutes before attaching butterfly.
Was a cold day here, the butterfly wouldn't whip (butter not soft enough) and made that horrid robot sound, when the attachment & blades can't spin around.

I found if you ice for the day prior, it goes hard.
It doesn't have a soft mouth feel, such as the creamy vanilla frosting or Johnro's quick buttercream by the next day.....so ideally best eaten on the day made.

.........EAT CAKE!

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Buttercream Icing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:22:45 am »
maddy I found the same problem when putting the butterfly in so took it out whizzed some more til soft enough then popped it back in

Offline Nay85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:55 am »
Hi, I'm looking at making this on Sunday for my sons 2nd birthday & was wondering how much 1 batch makes because I need to decorate 36 cupcakes. I'm planning on have them iced 3 different colours so will I need to split the icing & then colour or could I split the ingredients & colour at the same time. Thanks for your advice!!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.  I have a friend who is a teacher who will be very grateful for this for her Cake Decorating unit.  :)  Much appreciated.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:53:20 am »
I am making cakes for DD birthday this weekend,
thanks for this.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Thermokitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:07:20 am »
Love the cupcakes Maddy.

I tried to make some caramel icing on the weekend (with cream) and ended up with caramel butter!

This looks like a much safer recipe  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:48:22 am »
Kimmy, just wanted to say Thankyou.

I made this twice yesterday for cup cakes, and birthday cakes.

Turned out first go, piped easily, tasted great.
I made 2 batches, and will continue to make again. :D :D :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:41 am »
Did you have any leftovers Robyn? I'm wondering if they went hard the next day as suggested by Maddy. I'm looking for a butter cream recipe that can be made and eaten a couple of days apart.

Thanks  :)
From Perth WA

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:27 am »
I'm wondering if they went hard the next day as suggested by Maddy.

probably should have described it as firm (like as if they were in the fridge).
MEP...without a doubt, the creamy vanilla frosting will last a few does without a problem....and I never put them in the fridge either....I think it really alters the taste & texture  :-\
I pretty much stick with that icing, just adjusting the flavours....which also can be doubled successfully....but only use 50g vanilla extract if making a double batch.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:56 am »
Thanks Maddy. We all love the creamy vanilla frosting but I just wanted to 'cheat' a little if I could get away with it. Will stick with CVF.  :)
From Perth WA

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »
I understand MEP  ;)
I just stick to what I think is perfect icing  :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »
Agreed, it is pretty perfect icing. My DS4 could just eat it by the bowl fulls.
From Perth WA

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:52 am »
I made this to go on my daughter's 1st birthday cupcakes & it was great.  A few people couldn't believe we made it. It easily lasts a few days & also freezes well. We did a few test runs. When I'm on the computer next I will post some photos.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 03:27:01 am »
MEP, I made 2 batches of this, had some leftover in the piping bag.
Kept it in the fridge, and used it up today on muffins.
so yes you can make it ahead, and bring back to room temp to use. :)

[/url