Author Topic: Mandarin bavarois  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Mandarin bavarois
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:00:11 am »
This one is perfect for the thermomix, adapted from a very old Stephanie Alexander recipe.

2 mandarins (preferably clementines, or ones with tighter skins)
150 g sugar
4 egg yolks
350 ml milk
4 leaves gelatin
60 ml strained mandarin juice
350 ml lightly whipped cream

Peel the zest with a vege peeler and put in TMX with the sugar, blitz on 9 until completely zested
Add the egg yolks and blend on 6 until mixed and aerated
Add the milk and cook at 80 C speed 3 for 10-12 minutes or more until thickened (see comments later)
Strain into a cold bowl

Add the gelatine leaves to a bowl of cold water for a few minutes
Put the mandarin juice in a saucepan, and when boiling add gelatin leaves (squeezed to remove excess water), swish to dissolve
Let cool for a couple of minutes, then add to custard, mixing well
Leave to cool to room temperature
Fold in whipped cream, then put into a mould in the fridge

Comments

I'm still having trouble with the custard.  It curdled the first time set to 90.  When set to 80, it never seems to thicken!  So I cooked on 80 for 10 minutes, then did 90 at 1 minute intervals until thickened, checking carefully each time.  Maybe if I left it for longer at 80 it would thicken, I'll have to try.

I put it in a jelly mould, and then added mandarin/champagne jelly for the base, another Stephanie recipe.  If anyone wants the jelly recipe let me know, the TMX was perfect for juicing the mandarins.  It makes a nice dessert with the jelly base and the creamy top.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Mandarin bavarois
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:55 am »
Yum! Thanks Paul.
And yes, would love the jelly recipe too!  ;D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:51:49 am »
Not sure, but with the custard base for this, think it only needs to thicken to point where, if you dipped a wooden spoon in, then it should coat the back and if you run a finger thru it leaves a clear line.

Not sure where this recipe is from ?  an old magazine/newspaper ? her Cook's Companion ?

Once the gelatine mix is added it should be plenty thick enough ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:01 am »
Not sure, but with the custard base for this, think it only needs to thicken to point where, if you dipped a wooden spoon in, then it should coat the back and if you run a finger thru it leaves a clear line.

Not sure where this recipe is from ?  an old magazine/newspaper ? her Cook's Companion ?

Once the gelatine mix is added it should be plenty thick enough ??

It's from "Feasts and stories", which is a very enjoyable book to read.  I think I am just going to stick with 80, that way I won't curdle it.