Author Topic: Failsafe Pear jam  (Read 7108 times)

Offline greenie

• View Profile
Failsafe Pear jam
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:25:09 am »
Just made this, adapted from Sue Dengate's 'The Failsafe cookbook' recipe

2 tins Pear halves in syrup (must be in syrup, not in juice)
600g sugar
1 tsp citric acid
1 50g packet Jamsetta

-preheat oven to 100C

Strain pear halves and pop in TM bowl
-chop 5 seconds, speed 5
-add sugar, citric acid and jamsetta
-cook on Varoma,  :-:, speed 1 for 15 mins

-place clean jars and metal lids in oven (I put them on an oven tray lined with a teatowel, which soaks up any drips later).  15 mins at 100C sterilises clean jars, lids & anything else. 

-when jam is cooked, quickly remove jars from oven and pour or ladle into hot jars.  Immediately seal with lids (use rubber gloves or teatowel as they should be too hot to handle), and leave undisturbed until cool.  This will give the best chance of a vacuum occurring and sealing the jars so they can be kept in the cupboard.

Note:  This jam is very sweet - I did reduce the amount from 750 to 600 but it is still really sweet so I think next time I'll reduce further to 500g

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failsafe Pear jam
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:33:03 am »
I imagine this is nice. I don't think I've ever tasted pear jam.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline greenie

• View Profile
Re: Failsafe Pear jam
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:35 am »
I can't eat fruit at the moment but apparently it is delicious!!!  but very sweet - and that is according to the kids, so it must be! 

I've made pear jam from fresh pears as well as nashi pear jam - they were delicious and are a favourite with the kids for sure!  You need to be very careful not to burn them though as they take a while to gel but are also quite delicate. 

Have realised I probably posted this in the wrong place so will pop a link in the special diets part :)