Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8926290 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #1455 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:29 pm »
Do you work in a restaurant JulieO - you plate up magnificently ;)  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1456 on: September 05, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »
Yeah - great pics - maybe Tenina could hire you to help her with pics for her books
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 05, 2009, 01:22:46 pm »
Thankyou Judy.  No I don't work outside of home.   When I make a new recipe, I take a photo and if the meal is really nice and we like it as a family, I type it into a database on my computer and add the photo.

My plan is when my daughter leaves home (and son too if he wants) I will be able to give her a computer disc with all the recipes on it so she'll be able to make the meals that she likes.  Just like a cook book really but the photos are mine and hopefully will be nice memories for her in future years.  Was originally going to get them printed into a book, but one day she said to me she would prefer to be able to access them on a computer like I do and that way she would be able to add to them too as she gets older.

That's why I take a bit of care when I take photos, it's become second nature to me now and everyone is used to me taking a snap of our food before we start eating.  :D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1458 on: September 05, 2009, 01:54:40 pm »
That's a fabulous idea Julie! For many years now (20 or so!) my Nan sometimes takes me through the house and points out what I get when she leaves this world (to be honest I wouldn't have a clue these days what those items are...) but I often think the one thing that would link me closer to her would be her cookbooks. She always has a freezer full of cakes and slices, fresh homemade bread, soup on the slow combustion stove, half a dozen different cookies in the pantry... And was always able to just suddenly present an absolute feast on the table any time of day. But I guess bringing up 6 children, a foster child and always having to feed extra farm hands as well you'd always need to be ready for the unexpected.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 05, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
Great idea JulieO and for us out here, a beautifully presented photo of a meal sure makes you want to do that particular recipe. Everytime you post a photo, I make a note in the recipe book or on the print out that it looks great.  When I first read through my Full Steam Ahead cookbook, I though 'what is this!!!" but bit by bit, comments are coming back to us and maybe the recipes aren't as weird as I first thought.  Your picture of the vegie curry looks better than the one in the book - you are such an inspiration.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 05, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »
Oh wow, thankyou Thermomixer, ILB and Judy, that's really nice to hear.  ;D

ILB, I'm sure you'll have lots of memories that you will cherish from your nan, hopefully she'll leave you her cookbooks.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »
Farmer's wives are the greatest cooks ILB.  My Mum was a country girl until she married my Dad and at any family reunions (huge affairs with different branches of the family) the food put on the table was amazing. Bet they didn't even use a recipe book either. Unfortunately, dear Mum isn't the greatest cook but could always rustle up a meal when you popped in to see them. Now of course, it is me taking food to her.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1462 on: September 05, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »
Very true Judy and I do worry that most of her recipes aren't on paper - but so be it if that's the case. She make it up on the go. Nan now has something like 13 grand kids, 32 great grand kids and half a dozen or so great great grand kids (I can't keep up the cousins just keep popping them out!) And I only put one great grand child into that mix. So the others have been busy!

You're Mum is so lucky to have you doing that for her Judy. It's lovely that the tmx can make it easier for your too. She would really appreciate some good food arriving lovingly from her daughter!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 05, 2009, 05:19:31 pm »
Busy afternoon for me as well in the kitchen today. Made

Pear and Spice Cake...will post once I find the one with my conversions on it and not the original I had to wing it by today  :-))
Boiled Orange and Almond Cake from the EDC
Loaf of Bread
3 different batches of cookies
Cyndi's Vegetarian Sausage Rolls - OMG these are to die for and the whole family thought they had meat in them lol  ;D ;D ;D
Basic Crackers that are here on the forum
Herb & Garlic Dip

I think it might be time for bed lol  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 06, 2009, 08:13:33 am »
Kathryn, that was late. I hope you got to sleep in.

I do a similar thing to Julie. It started when I was participating in a cooking club on another website. I now take photos of things we like and I print mine and attach them to the recipe when I type it up and file it. The photos all go onto a CD so that I can access them again if I need to.  I've just started it with my TMX recipes.

I've got myself going again and have had a bit of a cook in.  One of our problems is getting the food eaten and not feeding to much to the freezer.

I've made 5 Seed bread and Cape Seed bread this morning, Strawberry Jam yesterday that is so delicious, and we had the Strawberry foam last night with a banana added. It is a most unusual texture but we really loved it. My DH wanted to know what would happen if you cooked it-would you get strawberry meringues? I'm tempted to try it next time. Tonight we are having rice pudding as DH loves it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1465 on: September 06, 2009, 08:23:39 am »
Great ideas - I love pictures of the food - just so that somebody reading the recipe gets an idea of what it is supposed to be like.  I am a visual learner too - so essential for me.

I purcahased the UK Thermomix cookbooks and was horrified to find no pictures !!!!! :o :o :o

The older TM 21 book had pics and I thought that they would have improved - but sadly no.

I find it hard to post recipes without a picture now - even though my photo skills are not great.  A professional photographer recently was telling me that he would rather spend money on good lighting gear than the camera - that's what matters most - sadly, I'll just have to make do.  Some look OK - others are all yellow??

Might have to start a file for the recipes to get them in order for the grandson.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: September 06, 2009, 01:45:35 pm »
Well today was a busy TMX day  :o
OJ - Bron's recipe
Pancake mix - conversion of our usual Sunday breakfast recipe
Choc Hazlenut spread from the EDC
sundried tomato &capsicum dip from the EDC
White sauce for Cauli cheese to go with roast dinner
Gravy for the meat
Phewww what a great eating Fathers day LOL
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:02 pm »
Today for Fathers' Day lunch I made 2 x 30cm x 37cm rectangular pizzas - 1 ham and pineapple and the other a meatlovers pizza with mince and salami.  Had JulieO's beef enchiladas, Amanda's choc brownies (had them in the freezer) and Bron's Instant Strawberry Foam.   Enough for 6 of us for lunch and leftovers fed 5 for tea and a slab of pizza put into the freezer. 

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #1468 on: September 06, 2009, 02:22:59 pm »

I find it hard to post recipes without a picture now - even though my photo skills are not great.  A professional photographer recently was telling me that he would rather spend money on good lighting gear than the camera - that's what matters most - sadly, I'll just have to make do.  Some look OK - others are all yellow??

I always take photos of my cooking too, mostly for my blog (although they don't all get on there as I don't always have time to post everthing) - but I think that's a great idea to have them attached to your recipes for your kids in the future!!!  I only have a small digital camera at the moment (used to be into photography and have more gear, slr, etc, but can't afford it right now!) - so what I do is try to use early morning or late afternoon light to take photos in - the colours come out so much better.  If I use the camera's flash, it really flattens out all the details in the photo, and looks yuck.  (Sometimes I have to, as dinner isn't made til the light's gone, but I prefer the natural sunlight.)  My family are used to me making them wait before they eat so I can take a photo - or serving up the plates then dashing off with one to the front door to stand in the late afternoon sun and take a photo! lol  :)

This is my favourite recent photo - the chocolate-filled steamed buns with cherry sauce in the Varoma cookbook! Yum!

Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 06, 2009, 02:32:01 pm »
yummoooooo that looks great  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net