Author Topic: Favourite Cuisine to Cook  (Read 7411 times)

Offline caketin

• View Profile
Favourite Cuisine to Cook
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:59:18 am »
I'm new to this forum and I thought it would be interesting to find out what cuisines everyone enjoys cooking. I have a wide variety of food that I cook, only because I enjoy cooking!

I love making curries, whether it be Indian (Butter Chicken, Korma, Vindaloo etc), Thai (Massaman, Green, Red, Yellow) or even Japanese (Katsu). I think I enjoy getting all these interesting ingredients (like galangal, shrimp paste, palm sugar etc) and mixing with some everyday kind of ingredients and making some fantastic smelling paste. I always make more paste than I need and freeze the remaining and then I've always got some on hand for the next time I want to make something.

But I really want to get into some French cooking, I love the way everything looks and sounds! Luckily I have a husband who will eat anything that has had a heartbeat so I can try those interesting things like rabbit, venison and beef cheeks! But he doesn't like escargot! :P

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Favourite Cuisine to Cook
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:04:41 am »
Hi Caketin
It's good to see you enjoying  this forums much. I think it's a godsend.

I love spicy cooking, also love making marinades, home style i.e. roasts, lamb shanks, casseroles, soups etc. I have just started making breads in the TM and have started baking.

Just love the TM and what it can do.

Hally

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:21:30 am »
Caketin, it's a pity you don't speak French (?) as one of their books might be helpful to you.  There are 10 French recipes (in English) on this website. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:40:51 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:25:48 am »
Catekin, I'm Franco-Australian and simply LOVE trying anything.  My hubby is the same so we sometimes have a go at some odd recipes or ingredients- makes life interesting!  We strongly believe that everything is edible as long as it's well cooked or prepared  :)
We have a small farm with garden & orchard so are fortunate to produce a lot of our food. Our boys know where rabbit, lamb and beef end up on the plate...
At the moment I really like cooking Asian recipes.
As for escargots they are delicious with a simple garlic-parsley butter and lots of crispy baguette:  garlic bread with protein  ;)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:50 am »
In my pre-children days I loved cooking Thai and Vietnamese foods, and my husband cooked a lot of Moroccan and Spanish - but now that we have kids, we eat whatever they will eat!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:01 am »
Tuna mornay, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, pizza  ;D ;D ;D  Bet you love going out for a meal these days Karen  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:49:18 am »
Absolutely Judy!  We are lucky enough to have been invited to lunch next week at a work colleagues house, and they are both from Iran, and have promised us a genuine Persian meal.  My mouth is watering!  I wonder if they will cook something I can convert to TMX  ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline caketin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:42 am »
I have a persian restaurant near me and I think everything I have had from there is delicious!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:02:52 am »
Catekin, I'm Franco-Australian and simply LOVE trying anything.  My hubby is the same so we sometimes have a go at some odd recipes or ingredients- makes life interesting!  We strongly believe that everything is edible as long as it's well cooked or prepared  :)
We have a small farm with garden & orchard so are fortunate to produce a lot of our food. Our boys know where rabbit, lamb and beef end up on the plate...
At the moment I really like cooking Asian recipes.
As for escargots they are delicious with a simple garlic-parsley butter and lots of crispy baguette:  garlic bread with protein  ;)

really carine...would you eat them if you took away that sinful garlic parsely butter??? Most people I know said they wouldnt so to me tis the parsley butter that makes them edible ;D  I have come to eating several differnt types of animals since living in France lol and at some very well established places too..like pigeon, venison, frogs legs to mention just a few but can not bring myself to eat escargot...and have to say that out of all of our friends and family here (all french) I have seen them eat them maybe once or twice in 11 years...also offle? (des abats) are common in some french cooking ...not a fan either haha....but love absolutely love french modern cuisine ie not terroir in general and am very lucky to live in a city whre there is an abundance of great young chefs who make some amazing food.  Have to say that if I ever had to move elsewhere with DHs career I would definatly miss the amazing food, bread, cheese and fabulous wines..oh and so much more ...i wouldnt miss the weather however!!

caketin do you speak or understand any french at all??  There are so many sites with typical french cuisine and like Judydawn said so many thermomix books also in french..if there are any recipes that interest you i can translate and send them over to you if you like or is it just the idea of french cuisine with no specific recipes in mind???
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline caketin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:41:29 am »
Thanks Frozzie, I'll have to have a look on the sites and see if there is anything that interests me. I don't have any specific recipes in mind yet! I do spend a lot of my spare time researching recipes!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:40:51 am »
dont we all caketin!  :) :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »
Frozzie:  it's all about texture-LOL....  of course the garlic butter is essential , well it's a combination of both ;D
As for offal I've been raised in a family where we try anything BUT it has to be cooked "properly".  For example, my hubby detested liver which his dad cooked until it was leather like .  Now leather has become a delicacy- lightly panfried with the addition of a creamy mustard & rosemary sauce..: YUM!
I've discovered a few interesting thing since living in Oz too:  roo, ostrich, croc   :) :) :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:44:01 am »
I'm not particularly adventurous with the types of meat that I eat. I adore duck cooked the French way.
I love all the different types of cuisines - my dream is to do a culinary world tour, trying foods from every country!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:07 am »
I don't really have a favourite cuisine. I love baking and most other cooking. We don't eat any offal as we both dislike it. Apart from that anything that is high in calories and very fattening. ;) ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 07:45:05 am »
We really love Ethiopian food (our eldest son is Ethiopian-born) and I have converted the National Ethiopian Celebration dish and posted it here. We also love Indian and Mexican food (and basically all of the recipes that are floating around the forum here getting rave reviews ;)). I want to start getting into Moroccan food more as I am hoping to visit the country and attend a cooking school when we are over that side of the world next. :)