Author Topic: Pasta with Meatballs  (Read 85040 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Pasta with Meatballs
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:39:39 am »
Hi all,

This is a Nigella recipe that I've been making for ages but only just did it in the TM with great results!

PASTA WITH MEATBALLS - adapted from Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson
SERVES - 6

MEATBALLS
INGREDIENTS
1 garlic clove
250g minced pork
250g minced beef (I used 500g combined beef & pork mince that you can get from Coles)
1 egg
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs or semolina
Grind of black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION
1. Put garlic in TM bowl and chop for 2 seconds on Speed 7.
2. Add all other ingredients and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 5, using the spatula to ensure all ingredients are combined.
3. Form the meat mixture into balls and place into greased Varoma dish.  If you have more meatballs than will fit in the dish, put the remainder on greased Varoma tray.  (Larger ones are better in dish & smaller on the tray).

TOMATO SAUCE
INGREDIENTS
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
20g unsalted butter
20g olive oil (not extra-virgin)
700g bottle tomato passata
350ml cold water
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
100ml full-fat milk

PREPARATION
1. Place onion, garlic and oregano into TM bowl and chop for 5-10 seconds on Speed 7.
2. Add the butter and oil and sauté for 3 minutes at 100° on Speed 1.
3. Add the bottle of passata, cold water, sugar, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes on 100° Speed 1.
4. Add the milk and then place the Varoma into position and cook for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature on Speed 1.
5. When cooking time has finished, place the meatballs into the Thermoserver and cover with Tomato sauce from the TM jug before serving over cooked pasta.

TIPS & HINTS
Nigella recommends serving these with tagliatelle.  I use store bought or make some using the pasta dough recipe in the EDC. If anyone wants to make the pasta to her recipe, the ingredients are –

PASTA
400g Italian 00 flour
Fat pinch of salt
4 eggs

Brumington: ...added a zucchini, capsicum, carrot and mushrooms into the sauce
.....used tinned tomatoes instead of passata
....put in some beef stock that I've had frozen for months and just wanted to get rid of it!
...added a dollop of umami

MEP: Reduced water to 200ml
Added an extra teaspoon of sugar, fresh basil, a shake of bolognaise herbs and two cut up carrots.

Judy:I did 1.5 times meatball mixture but just the 1 quantity of sauce - it was plenty for the extra balls.  7-8 serves in this house over pasta

Jamberie: About 4 minutes into steaming I added a heap of Brussels sprouts to the varoma tray. I thought they might be a fun veggie to add as they are a similar size to the meatballs and the sauce disguised the taste for those who are not fans! I added the meatballs and Brussels sprouts to the thermosaver then poured the sauce over the top.

ES:  I didn't have any pork mince, so I used all beef. I think my mince was too lean, so next time I'll add the pork. I also increased the mince to 750g. I couldn't fit all the meatballs in one layer in the top tray, so I put some in the bottom tray as well.

Bubbles: I use 500g beef mince and 250g pork mince and increase the rest of the meatball ingredients to suit. I also add carrot, zucchini & celery to both the meatball mixture and the sauce for added vegies for the kids.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:30:46 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Pasta with Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:09:31 am »
Thank you, I love Nigellas recipes. This is on the list to do.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:38:29 am »
I have some opened passata in the fridge just waiting to be used.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:27:43 am »
This sounds great, will go well with my first attempt at making my own pasta ;)

(when I get around to it) ;D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
Made this tonight and it was yummy! I added mushrooms, a carrot, some capsicum and zuchinni to the sauce. A simple, quick and easy meal.
Thanks!
Kerryn

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:45 pm »
This sounds lovely.  It's definitely on my to do list.  I have some pasta dough in the freezer so that's one step in the right direction!

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »
Oh my goodness I made this tonight and it was delicious!!! I couldn't believe how easy it was, and I used my first batch of home made pasta (yay!). And the best part was my kids absolutely loved it. Thanks asha76 :)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »
No problem...I'm glad everyone liked it.   I actually think it tastes better cooked in the TM than it did when I used to make it on the stovetop!

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
I made this again last night. This time to impress my brother so that his wife, my S.I.L can get a TMX! He loved it and so did his kids, plus my family thought it was delicious again!
I've got a lot of left over sauce this time, any suggestions as to what to do with it? I thought perhaps a base for a vegetable lasagne? (I haven't made lasagne in TMX yet)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 12:32:43 pm »
Bubbles I use my left over pasta sauce as a tomato base on pizzas.  Also can go over some cannelloni or enchiladas another night.  Just freeze it and I'm sure you will find plenty of uses for it.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 01:06:50 pm »
Snappy I used some on pizza bases last night and it was a hit! My DH was unsure, but after tasting he agreed that it added a whole new flavour to the pizza-thanks :)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »
No problem bubbles!  We love it on pizzas too.  Makes the perfect Maragrita.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:07 am »
ooh, thanks for this one.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 01:56:59 am »
I've made this twice now and I'm making it again today to take to a family dinner tonight. My kids definitely inhale this one and I cant make enough of it- I usually have to use double the amount of ingredients. I have never had leftovers yet, but it would be a great one to freeze as well.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:12 am »
We had this for dinner tonight and the whole family loved it.  It was our first taste of Varoma meatballs and I have to say they're really nice.
I was forced to change a few things due to what we did and didn't have in the cupboard so I ...

...added a zucchini, capsicum, carrot and mushrooms into the sauce
.....used tinned tomatoes instead of passata
....put in some beef stock that I've had frozen for months and just wanted to get rid of it!
...added a dollop of umami

I thought it was really tasty and will definitely become a regular meal in our house.

Thanks for sharing.