Author Topic: Thermo Fruit Rolls (Roll ups)  (Read 76425 times)

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
Re: THERMO FRUIT ROLLS (ROLL UPS)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 01:33:10 am »
I do get why a teacher would say no to the rollups.  They may be healthier than the bought roll ups but they do still contain added sweetener in the form of honey and they are a processed food, even though you are the one processing it.

Unfortunately, the Teacher needs to draw the line somewhere and if they don't allow bought rollups they also need to not allow home made ones. 
The concept of healthy snack time is to encourage kids to eat whole foods in their natural form. 

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:42:47 pm »
And if you have a food dehydrator you can just spread it on the the trays and dry in there - I must brush the cobwebs off my dehydrator!!

Hi, I finally got around to trying this the other night.  Probably because of the fruits I used (Apple, plums, apricots) it was hard work to strain it through the steamer basket to get rid of the skins and stones/pips.  I wished that I'd just peeled and cored them.  I then put them in the oven to dry, but couldn't get the temperature low enough, even using the tea towel trick.  The result was more of a boiled sweet than a leather, but it was a huge hit with DH and DD1, so that was OK.

I thought that if I'd peeled and cored the fruit then it would have been easy to make this, so I bit the bullet and bought a dehydrator, which I've been threatening to do for years.  This afternoon I made some leather (without the straining) and it was super easy.  I've just tasted the results from the dehydrator (the trays of which I lined with baking parchment) and all I can say is Yum!  DH is of the same opinion.  DD1 will get to taste it tomorrow.  I dried some apple rings while I was at it, and they're lovely too.

I used strawberries, apples (peeled & cored) and banana.  Lovely.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 04:04:03 am »
I can understand these rollups not being allowed at fruit break time - our school wouldn't allow them then either, as kids are supposed to have either raw fruit or veges then. But it would be a different matter at afternoon recess when the alternative would often be a sweetened biscuit, cupcake or some other processed snack. Will give it a try some time.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline LinCal0810

• I am a busy Mum of 2 boys :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23:57 am »
Hi,

I am wanting to make these for my 2 DS's and I have a dehydrator, just wondering how long I need to put them in there for, is it still about 12hours, if it is I will just put them on over night once my boys go to bed.

Thank you in Advance

Emma
Emma
:) 3 hungry boys to feed :)

Offline SusanKP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:57 am »
oh I wish I didnt eat my last banana - will try this soon! Cannot wait

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:02 am »
I made these today with a glut of apples and pears. The kids and I thought it was lovely. Added some vanilla in with the lemon. Can't wait to try this with other fruits too.

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 01:01:46 pm »
I found also that these didn't take as long as the recipe stated, mine only took about 4 hours, I burnt the first batch.
Other than that it's great :D

Offline Squeak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 02:55:22 am »
I am trying these right now.  Hubby bought an extra bag of grapes - not knowing I'd already bought some! - so I'm trying to do a grape roll up.  Initially I thought it would be too wet as it seemed very runny but whilst pouring it out I saw that it wasn't running all the way to the edge of my silicone mat.  As I only have one large silicone mat I've also put some in my dehydrator using greaseproof paper - dehydrator was bought 2nd hand so I don't have the "proper" mats for liquid products.  Our oven is gas so I've got it just under 120C with the door barely propped open with a tea towel. I'm curious to hear from anyone with a gas oven who has tried this regarding how far open their oven door was, thanks!
Will post a pic of the finished product :)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:08 am »
My MIL made these for our girls using only plums and the lemon juice and they loved them! :)
:D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
I look forward to the photo Squeak.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »
Made these yesterday using mainly watermelon and a little banana to make up the weight. Turned out a vibrant deep pink colour however I'm not too sure I like the taste. Prefer the apple ones I did using another recipe (I think).