Author Topic: Review: Crème Bavaroise from German EDC  (Read 8594 times)

vivacity

Review: Crème Bavaroise from German EDC
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:58:44 pm »
Crème Bavaroise
Servings: 4

I made this for our Christmas dinner this year but didn't follow the instructions exactly. Since we had 6 guests, I doubled the following recipe (ingredients and cooking times), poured the mixture into six cups (praying that the gelatine would set by the next day). This evening I dipped the cups in boiling water for a few seconds, ran a knife around the inside of the cup and then inverted the crème into a dessert plate. Everybody loved it. I served it with Rote Grütze (for the adults) and hot raspberries for the children.

- Soften 3 sheets of gelatine according to instructions on back of package.
- Pour 50g of sugar into TMX and grind 15s/speed 10.
- Add the seeds from a vanilla pod (I used natural vanilla extract), 200g milk and 2 egg yolks. Heat 3m/70C/speed 4.
- Add the gelatine and heat  1m/70C/speed 4.
- Fill crème into a bowl and set aside to cool.

The recipe calls for making whipped cream in the TMX. I used my electric whisk. You'll need 200ml cream.

- Once the crème begins to set, add the crème and the whipped cream to the TMX and mix about 5s/speed 2.
- Rinse out individual moulds or one big glass dish with water and pour crème into containers. Allow to set overnight.

Members' comments
JulieO - I made this this morning for after dinner tonight.  I ended up buying some gelatine sheets on-line which I used for the first time.  Have always used powdered, but I really like the sheets.  Anyway I've got to say this was the nicest panna cotta I have eaten.  So creamy and smooth but not sickly if you know what I mean.  I got 5 little pots out of it (the plastic Nestle ones were the perfect size) and they set in about 4 hours.
Followed the recipe except at the end, after pouring the mixture into a big glass jug to help to cool quicker, I put it in the fridge and kept checking and when it was cool, I  simply added the whipped cream to the glass jug and used a whisk to combine together.  There really wasn't any need to put back in the TM bowl just to mix together.
I served simply with raspberry coulis which was perfectly tart with the sweetness of the panna cotta, loved the combo.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:14:17 pm by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Review: Crème Bavaroise from German EDC
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 03:51:31 am »
This sounds yummy, I appreciate the extra comments.   Merry Christmas.

vivacity

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:35:05 am »
Merry Christmas :) I HAD to post this recipe review yesterday because my husband loved the crème so much. I don't know if a similar recipe is included in the English TMX books but it really is a winner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:46:59 pm »
Thanks viv - don't know if there is a similar recipe, but it reminds me that i have to try making a blue cheese bavarois ( a dish that I have eaten a few times in a Sydney restaurant)

Now I have a basis.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:54:22 am »
Would powdered gelatine work as well as can't get the sheets in my town?

thanks, Julie.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:03:07 am »
It should work but make sure it is dissolved well - think about 3 teaspoons should be OK - depends on the type of leaf gelatin - they vary a lot
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:29:03 am »
Thanks Thermomixer.  Once I've made it I'll report back.  ;D

vivacity

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »
Since I doubled the recipe I used one packet of powdered gelatine (equals 6 sheets of gelatine). So you would need half a packet of powdered gelatine for this.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »
Thanks Vivacity.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:45:48 am »
Thanks viv.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:55:34 am »
I made this this morning for after dinner tonight.  I ended up buying some gelatine sheets on-line which I used for the first time.  Have always used powdered, but I really like the sheets.  Anyway I've got to say this was the nicest panna cotta I have eaten.  So creamy and smooth but not sickly if you know what I mean.  I got 5 little pots out of it (the plastic Nestle ones were the perfect size) and they set in about 4 hours.

Followed the recipe except at the end, after pouring the mixture into a big glass jug to help to cool quicker, I put it in the fridge and kept checking and when it was cool, I  simply added the whipped cream to the glass jug and used a whisk to combine together.  There really wasn't any need to put back in the TM bowl just to mix together.

I served simply with raspberry coulis which was perfectly tart with the sweetness of the panna cotta, loved the combo.

I didn't take any photos today but I will next time I make this which won't be too far off!   ;D

vivacity

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 11:26:43 am »
Hi, JulieO!

Thanks for trying out the recipe and providing such a detailed review. It tastes amazing, doesn't it? And it's so easy to make in the TMX :)