Author Topic: PROBLEM  (Read 30160 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
PROBLEM
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:27:51 am »
Hi everyone I have had my TM for about 9months now and just love it. The last three times I have used it the bottom has had like a reddish film on it quite thick. The first time this happened I soaked for several hours and it came off. Second time did the vinegar EDC trick and it is still happening. I am cooking the recipes that I have cooked many times before and can't understand why this is happening. Even when I cook on the stir speed it still happens. Anyone know why?

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
You aren't stirring at a speed high enough and whatever it is that you're cooking is catching, so try a higher speed, not soft stir

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09:53 pm »
It also maybe that there is a thin film of "stuff" on the bottom of your bowl so things are more likely to stick to it.   When this happens to me, I use bicarbonate of soda made into a paste with a very little water, and scrub it thoroughly using a lot of elbow grease.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
You can use gumption on a soft cloth to clean it too.
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:10:54 pm »
Thanks ladies will try these ideas

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:25 am »
Yay it worked thanks Katya I used bicarb because that's what I had, have made two or three main meals since and no sticking. Thanks ladies

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:31 am »
Good work Yvette - good to see the forum is of value  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:42:13 pm »
Great news Yvette - glad it is ok now.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
Thanks everyone this forum is great!!!!!!

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »
beware as bicarb is abraisive and will in time remove the coating on the TM pan/bowl. I would suggest by grannies trick of soaking with either washing powder and hotwater or dishwasher powder and hot water. Don't scrub, scrape or rub, it will end in tears for sure :'(
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »
Thanks Mindmapper I cooked another meal last night and it happened again soooo disappointed so did the bicarb thing again, might try dishwasher powder next time as it looks like it will be an ongoing problem

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:18:18 am »
beware as bicarb is abraisive and will in time remove the coating on the TM pan/bowl. I would suggest by grannies trick of soaking with either washing powder and hotwater or dishwasher powder and hot water. Don't scrub, scrape or rub, it will end in tears for sure :'(

I wasn't aware that the bowl had a coating. I treat it in the same way as I would any other good quality stainless steel pan including using bicarb paste to clean if necessary. Would you mind elaborating on this Mindmapper?

Yvette if food is still sticking to your bowl then, as Thermoheaven mentioned, you need to increase the speed. It's exactly the same as a saucepan on the stove - if you don't stir often enough then food will stick to the bottom.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:02 am »
mindmapper, don't you think the washing powder might make the seal perish?

I used to have to scrub my bowl when I first got it, but since i've upped the speed, I haven't had any problems. as far as I can tell, scrubbing didn't do the bowl any harm - it doens't have a teflon coating or any other coating as far as i can tell, and surely if it did, making something like sorbet would scour the coating off...and now that I think of it, Yvette, I recall someone using eggshells to scour their bowl - just put the eggshells in the bowl with some water and let the tm scour itself for you. You might want to give that a go or just try scouring by making a sorbet - I know my bowl always looks sparkling after making a sorbet.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43:55 am »
Just what I was goin to suggest thermoheaven! Also milling grain or sugar.   ;)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:17 am »
i dont think the bowl has any coating either as its surgical steel so dont think it can get 'damaged' unless you use something abrasive like with what were the ingredients in the dishwashing liquid recipe..salt crystals and vinegar or something..but saying that to clean my bowl as previously posted i just do the egg shells, warm water and a few drops of detergent (dishwashing) and spin on max for min 1min30 (was my consultant who told me that and also for the min time as any less and it wont give the bowl a good clean!  Works perfectly for me and is in no way harmful to the bowl  :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:46:35 pm by Frozzie »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/