Author Topic: Rogizoja's Refried Beans  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Rogizoja's Refried Beans
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:38:39 am »
From a recipe request for refried beans:

Here's one I converted for the T'mix:

ROB'S REFRIED BEANS

Ingredients

500g dried pinto beans - the pinky mottled ones (don't know how many tins that converts to)
1.2 litres water
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
50g olive oil
20g butter
200g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 medium red chilli, seeds removed (more/less to your taste)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)

Method
1. Pick over the beans to get rid of stones, beetles etc. and soak them overnight in plenty of water (or use equivalent in tins).
2. Slowly bring the beans to the boil in 1.2 litres of water  (do NOT add salt - it toughens the beans) and gently simmer until tender skimming any scum that rises to the surface; should take about 2 hours adding more water if needed
3. Drain and reserve the cooking water.
4. Put the cumin in the T'mix bowl and blitz 1 min/speed 10 (don't forget square of kitchen paper under MC)
5. Drop garlic, chilli, bacon and onion onto blades running at speed 8
6. Scrape down the sides then add oil and butter and saute 5 mins/100/speed 2
7. Add the beans and mix at speed 3 until they're as fine as you like; adding some of the reserved cooking water to the beans to give you the same consistency as double cream but still with some texture (not totally pureed). I usually go for about 1 min

Serve up and ENJOY

members' comments

KerrynN - We made this to go into nachos (with the melted cheese dip from the lunchbox book) and it was fantastic. It nearly didn't make it to the nachos. We used two cans of beans to get to the required weight (once they were drained). They weren't called pinto beans but they were speckled/mottled.

Rogizoja - After Kerryn's "nudge" I did this last weekend and it went down a storm. Instead of the chilli I added a good dollop of chipotle paste from a jar and the smokiness and extra heat added a little "something" that just rounded it all off perfectly. Absobloodylutley deeeelicious.  Now I have to make a batch of Brazen's corn chips http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=705.0 to take it to the next level.  Happy days!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:41:28 pm by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Re: Rogizoja's Refried Beans
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:27 am »
We made this tonight to go into nachos (with the melted cheese dip from the lunchbox book) and it was fantastic. It nearly didn't make it to the nachos.
Kerryn

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
Glad you liked the beans Kerryn. I must admit I haven't done this myself for a while now so will have to add it to the menu for next week. Thanks for the reminder :-)
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:35:25 am »
Yum, these look great! Going on the menu for next week....  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:32:47 am »
We made this tonight to go into nachos (with the melted cheese dip from the lunchbox book) and it was fantastic. It nearly didn't make it to the nachos.

Did you use dried or canned beans Kerryn?  :)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:16 am »
We used two cans of beans to get to the required weight (once they were drained). They weren't called pinto beans but they were speckled/mottled.
Kerryn

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
Thanks for that.  I have nachos on the menu plan for next week.  :)

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »
After Kerryn's "nudge" I did this last weekend and it went down a storm. Instead of the chilli I added a good dollop of chipotle paste from a jay (okay, okay, I know I should make my own in Bimbo ;D) and the smokiness and extra heat added a little "something" that just rounded it all off perfectly. Absobloodylutley deeeelicious.  Now I have to make a batch of Brazen's corn chips http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=705.0 to take it to the next level.  Happy days!!
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Ilana

• View Profile
    • Ganache Chocolate
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 06:15:30 am »
I just wanted to thank the member who posted this recipe. I should have a long time ago. I have been making it every now and then for a few years already. I had to substitute a few ingredients as we dont eat bacon, so I realize mine is probably less delicious, but we love it anyhow, Thanks!! :)
mom to 10 kids! (okay... one is a son in law, one is a dog, 4 are cats)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 06:52:17 am »
Better late than never Ilana and now, thanks to you, the recipe is bumped for everyone who hasn't tried it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:23 am »
Hi Ilana and thanks for taking the time to let us know you enjoy the recipe. It's always handy to know what others think of recipes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/