Author Topic: Lemon Custard without the zest?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Lemon Custard without the zest?
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:14 am »
Hi all,

DH just made lemon custard from EDC and it was yummy but it had little bits of lemon zest in. He is keen to know if he could replace the zest with the juice of the lemon and reduce the milk amount accordingly. Can anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Lemon Custard without the zest?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:47:08 am »
You can zest your lemon with a fine zester like a microplane and mill with the sugar as per the recipe. This eliminates the texture of the lemon. Also if you mill the sugar rind and flour together it will help to break it down more too.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:45 am »
HI Kerryn  I just had the same problem so all I did was put the custard through a sieve when you take it out of the bowl of the tmx. That catches all the zest and makes for a lovely custard.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:49 am »
Kerryn, you can try adding some juice to your custard but the zest is much more flavoursome.  I have a zester, well worth the expense - great for parmesan cheese topping on pasta etc as well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:06 am »
You can zest your lemon with a fine zester like a microplane and mill with the sugar as per the recipe. This eliminates the texture of the lemon. Also if you mill the sugar rind and flour together it will help to break it down more too.

I second this suggestion from Meagan - it works well to grind the zest up with the flour as well as the sugar.  Also make sure that your zest is dry when it goes in.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:43 am »
Yes, thirded!!  We are taught to zest the lemon as soon as we arrive at a demo so the zest has some time to dry out a bit.  I only ever use cornflour (real cornflour not wheaten cornflour) for custard & putting that in with the sugar & zest & blitzing it all together makes it much finer.

As a matter of course these days even if I'm only using the juice of a lemon I zest them & keep that in a bag in the freezer....& vice versus with the juice.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:20:02 am »
I think the he did follow the recipe but the zest would have been wet and he may not have milled it long enough. All good ideas for next time.

As a matter of course these days even if I'm only using the juice of a lemon I zest them & keep that in a bag in the freezer....& vice versus with the juice.

This is a great idea! I will make sure to do this next time too.
Kerryn