Author Topic: nut butter : a good alternative spread for pure and cholesterol friendly butter,  (Read 12906 times)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
ingredients

150 gr peeled almonds
150 gr peanuts salted (organic)
150 gr peeled hazelnuts
60 gr neutral oil (canola, rapeseed)

how to do it

1. roast the nuts in the thermomix  :-: - speed 1 - varoma
2. mix : speed 9 - 1 minute
3. use the spatula to bring everything down and add the oil - mix speed 9 - 1  minute

the mixture should be runny and will firm up in the fridge.. poor in to a glass container and let is cool down - keep in the fridge

Live life to the fullest

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Is there a clever procedure for peeling almonds in the TM31?
DD
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is there a clever procedure for peeling almonds in the TM31?
DD

Fast and Easy Cookbook page 11 tells you how to blanch almonds in the TM :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
i just buy them that way ...  :) 

you will love this spread though !
Live life to the fullest

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
That looks good, I must give it a try.  It has a good mix of nuts.  How would cashews go instead of peanuts?

CC I don't have the Fast and Easy book - I am guessing that you soak the almonds (which still have their skins on) in boiling water for 30(?) minutes then drain them and put them in the TMX for a couple of minutes on reverse?  Do you add water as well?  Am I close with my guess for the correct way to skin almonds?  Would it also be much the same method for hazelnuts?  The autumn nut harvest is just coming in at the markets now so there will be some nice fresh nuts around to use in this recipe.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
cashews are perfect in it.. just mix the nuts you like, but try to avoid peels... and if not using peanuts, you will find that adding a bit of sea salt is great.. just let me know how you adapted and if you liked it
Live life to the fullest

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
it is easier than that Cullidh  :)

That F&E says to steam in the varoma 10-15 min varoma temp and then pop the skins off and leave to cool

The other method that I have and have tried is to place them in the TM bowl, cover with water and heat for 4 minutes at Varoma temperature on Reverse + speed 1. Drain and pop off the skins and leave to cool.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Thanks, faffa, that sounds easy - even for me!  Much less time and effort involved.

Stef - it will be a week or so before I can try it, but will let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:55:30 pm by Cuilidh »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't mind peeling almonds (but still prefer them already done :-))), it is the hazelnuts that are the little b's to peel.  Tried everyone's suggestions and still have trouble.  Tend to therefore avoid any recipe which has hazelnuts in it.  Why can't we buy them already peeled I wonder.  Is there a substitute for the hazelnuts in this recipe Stef  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
you can use cashews ..;  anyway i found the hazelnuts peeled in a restaurant grocery store
Live life to the fullest

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lucky you  :)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think I would love to eat this by the mouthful. :-[ :-[
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
I made the nut butter today and, despite Faffa's help with peeling tips, I agree wholeheartedly with Judy Dawn, peeling hazlenuts is a real pain.  It maybe didn't help that I got interrupted by three separate sets of visitors during the peeling process so was stopping and starting all the time.  I eventually got them more or less peeled and made the butter using almonds, cashews and the hazelnuts. 

I wasn't sure how long to roast the nuts for and unfortunately the hazelnuts were still a bit damp; anyway, I roasted them for 15 minutes, but I don't think this was long enough, or the dampness of the hazelnuts fouled it up.  The end product was a lighter looking butter than Stef's and was quite stiff, not runny at all, but it is very spreadable.

It's just settling down at the moment and I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it tastes.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
so how was the taste ? did you like it ?
Live life to the fullest

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
To be honest, I didn't like this so much (but then, I'm not really into nut butters for some reason), but my DH does like it, very much.  The mixture remained pretty stiff, so I have thinned it down a bit and, much as I don't really like peanuts and peanut butter, I think it would have been better with peanuts, so next time I will use your 'original' recipe.

Peeling the hazelnuts was a real chore so I will have to look for ready peeled ones next time I make a jar of this.  Thanks for posting this and I'll make it again when I find peeled hazelnuts!