Author Topic: Parmesan Grissini  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
Parmesan Grissini
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:22:44 am »
Recipe from http://ricksthermomixblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/parmesan-grissini.html#links

Parmesan Grissini - Bread sticks
Ingredients
75g ungrated parmesan cheese   
50g unsalted butter
200g whole milk
1 Packet of dried yeast
375g bakers flour
10g sea salt

Method
Chop the parmesan into walnut sized cubes, place into the Thermomix bowl and grate on speed 10 for 4 seconds, set aside.

Place the butter in the Thermomix bowl and chop on speed 5 for 2 seconds.
Melt the chopped butter at 90C on speed 1 for 2 minutes
Add 200g of whole milk and your Thermomix bowl temp should be registering 37C.
Add your packet of yeast, flour, salt and parmesan. Stir on speed five for 3 seconds
Now knead the mixture on interval setting (the wheat symbol) for 4 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and stretch into an A4 sized rectangle
Work your way over the entire surface of the dough making deep indentations with eight fingers at once.
When the surface of the dough is covered with indentations, fold it in half  turn it ninety degrees, stretch it out to an A4 sized rectangle and repeat the indentation making process again.
Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Turn on your oven now to 200 degrees.

Repeat the dimpling and folding process and leave to rise in the covered bowl again for another 30 minutes

Cut the dough in half and roll each half out into a large rectangle about 30cm or more on its long side.
Slice this rectangle of dough into 1cm wide strips, 30cm in length.

Now roll the strips one at a time on the work surface with your hands to form long thin sausages
Press down on one end to create a flattened spoon shape.(I don't know why)

Place on a non stick baking tray, big enough to accommodate your rather long breadsticks and rest them for 10 minutes.

Bake for ten to fifteen minutes until golden brown, keep checking them.

The result is truly magnificent, these grissini are totally impressive. Serve a bunch of these standing in a glass and watch them disappear.
Giorgio Locatelli says these breadsticks make great breadcrumbs, but we have never had any left over.

I made these last night as a snack before a dinner party - they were brilliant a tad salty but very moreish - I twisted some of them for a good effect.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
Re: Parmesan Grissini
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:11 am »
I made this again yesterday but didn't have time to do all the finger kneading, after first rise I just knocked it back and rolled it out. I made half rolling the dough and the other half just twisted. I also used fresh yeast not dried as it is much cheaper and I think better than the dried. After ten minutes in the oven they were golden and I switched off oven and left them in for another five minutes - Perfect and once again well liked by my guests with amazement that I had actually made them from scratch!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:01:02 am »
I made these for my family Christmas this year with mixed results. They were fantastic out of the oven. I let them cool completely (or so I thought - maybe not?) and then before I went to bed I packed them into an airtight container to take them with us to lunch. They looked great when they went on the plate with the smoked salmon dip (for Festive Cookbook) and the Chicken Liver Pate (from EDC) but they were soft and horrible when bitten into. My uncle went so far as to spit his out in the bin, declaring them "horrible!". I was shattered - they had been so yummy the night before... I threw them into the oven, hoping to crisp them back up again and whilst it didn't return them to their original state, it certainly made them more edible.

Can anyone suggest why this happened? I would love to be able to make them again but not if they are going to be spat into the rubbish next time...

Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:21 am »
Yikes, I have these on my list of to-do items so will wait for someone to answer your question Kerryn.  I think Cookie does them quite often so she will obviously know but I'm pretty sure she freezes what is not eaten on the day of baking.
Uncles can be a bit tactless can't they.  I remember DH's uncle being here for a 3 course lunch once, told me the pumpkin soup wasn't as nice as it usually was (same recipe), no complaints about the Chinese Flair but when I served up the bread and butter pudding, he said 'what's this muck'.  Needless to say he was never invited back  >:( >:( :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »
it may have somethign to do with putting htem in an airtight container as usually when any type of bread is put in an airtight containter it seems to soften slightly..wait to hear back from cookie but im betting its better to leave them out as they are a crispy crunchy bread stick so leaving them out is not going to hurt them short term as long as they are to be eaten within 24 hours???
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:25:27 am »
Sorry folks. It has been hard to find the time to come on the forum for an in depth look. But now life is back to normal with all the holidays over.
I make my grissini as pretzels shape and yes they do need crisping up after they come out of the freezer. They seem to soften quite quickly if not eaten. We really don't mind them soft as we like to spread dip on them. I think high humidity would affect them too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:06 am »
Maybe it would be better to cook them longer at a lower temperature to really dry them out?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:12 am »
True. I guess you could certainly do that. They are quite a bready consistency. Or make the pretzels that are in the festive book. I think they are meant to be crispy.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:53:44 am »
Thanks everyone. I will try them again and leave them out overnight this time just to see the difference. The things we do for science!

Will let you know when I have had a go at them again.
Kerryn

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:23 am »
I make these quite often, generally i have to fight everyone off them while they are hot but if there are any left over i tend to freeze them and warm a little after defrosting. We like them soft though so maybe a little diferent to others.  The other thing we like to do is add different flavours to the dough, generally i grind up fresh rosemary with the parmesan at the start and also roll in some sesame seeds before cooking.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:55:13 am »
As i said we like them soft too. I sprinkle salt flakes over them.